5.0 out of 5 stars I had a hard time putting the book down!
A great read, very compelling. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in politics or current events.

Published on March 20, 2010 by Barbara E. Ulbrandt

3.0 out of 5 stars The story of an honest shark
I'd recommend the book. It was not what I expected. It is clear that Mr. Rove carries a sharp blade in his robes and uses it without hesitation when he feels his interests are in danger but he does not hide it in the book which is fairly open and honest. His respect and criticism of President Bush seems soundly based, factual and to the point.

Mr. Rove really...
Published on May 15, 2010 by Frank Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a hard time putting the book down!, March 20, 2010
This review is from: Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight (Hardcover)

This obviously analytically driven man has the ability to translate with his own words the fascinating workings of his gift and his love for analyzing politics and political campaigns. His book provides a glimpse of a softer, kinder and very intelligent man doing what he loves and does well. Although very little detail is given about his family you get a sense of how costly it must have been for them living through those years and how much pain it caused him.

The myths circling this man makes you ask yourself again and again what has happened to journalism in this country.

The book was a page turner for me, enjoyed it thoroughly and was sorry when it ended.

Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars The story of an honest shark, May 15, 2010

Mr. Rove really does not reveal much about his own values but does give us details about how he came to be who and what he is. He was present in the administration at its most critical points and does reveal the emotions of the moment.

If you thought he was the devil incarnate or if you thought he was Jesus returned, the book will not change that kind of rigid thinking. However, if you are a person who actually values knowing the facts, circumstances and personalities of the time in question and wish to begin forming an unbiased appraisal, it is well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great read, March 10, 2010
Eric (Tokyo, Japan) - See all my reviews
I must admit, I fell hook, line and sinker for the media's version of Karl Rove as an evil man. Reading the book, he comes across as an intelligent, thoughtful and heartfelt person. I've been watching some of his media interviews this week as he launches his book, and he truly is a good man. I have to take another look at him and the Bush administration. I don't think I gave them a fair shake. I'm a Democrat and my party has really abandoned me over the last several months. Rove has me looking in another direction now. I highly recommend Courage and Consequence to anyone looking for the truth about Washington.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Rove better person than his critics, March 9, 2010
Karl Rove was henpecked on the Today Show by Matt Lauer about whether his father was homosexual or not. I cannot imagine Matt Lauer asking any Democrat such an invasive question. This is because Democrats like Matt Lauer worship the Democratic Party. They fawn, they bow, they slaver over how much love and compassion pours out of the Democratic party. Yet for some reason, Karl Rove does not share their adoration for the DNC! For that perceived sin, every full-time Democrat (part-time journalists) will rake him over the coals.

Rove's book will be poorly received as it will not be a derogatory tell-all about the perceived evils of the Bush Administration. There were a number of Bush administration officials who were showered with praise and accolades for trashing their boss. Funny how it only seems to be tell-all books by Republicans that are praised in the news media. If someone writes a book trashing Ted Kennedy or Hillary Clinton, Matt Lauer and the rest of the sycophants on television and print have little to say about it.

Karl Rove has a lot of interesting things to say in his book, it is great reading for anyone wishing to see what modern politics is all about. For Matt Lauer and the rest of the full-time Democrats working at NBC News, ABC News, CBS News, MSNBC News, CNN News, the New York Times, The Washington Post, the LA Times, Newsweek and Time magazine, they will find nothing but disappointment in this tome. Maybe they should be disappointed in themselves for being any less political operatives than Mr. Rove. He is honest in his bias, while Matt Lauer and the rest are not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Please ...., March 15, 2010
M. Walsh (Poquoson, VA USA) - See all my reviews
The dirty tactics on the left never cease to amaze me. I don't blame anyone for not liking Bush 43 or Karl Rove, but if you are going to submit a book review, please read the book first! Remember that freedom of speech is most important for views and opinions that you don't agree with - you might just learn something.

I am only about a quarter of the way through Mr. Rove's tome, but feel obligated to leave an early review in order to counter some of the one-star ratings. Although it is not the best book or biography I have ever read, I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Mr. Rove spends just the right amount of time on his early years and definitely taught me things about himself that I was not aware of. By page 150 he is already relating stories about the 2000 presidential election.
I started reading Bill Clinton's memoirs a couple of weeks before starting this book. One thing that strikes me is the similarities between the two men in their formative years. I suppose this is understandable when you have two individuals who fell in love with politics at very early ages. Unfortunately President Clinton's book is a lot slower reading and contains far too much detail on his early years (I am on page 300 and he is just running for his second try at Governor of Arkansas).

The thing I like most about Mr. Rove's book at this point is how he confronts head-on every issue that has been raised about his personal life and about the way he runs political campaigns. It strikes me as sincere and honest, although perhaps I am naïve. I hope to enjoy the rest of the book as much as I have the beginning. I'll update this review when I have completed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Rove's view of the Bush Administration, March 9, 2010
For eight years I listened and read the mainstream media's daily account of the work of the Bush Administration. The Left rails against Fox News for its "conservative bias" but fails to acknowledge its passionate love affair with the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. If one believes everything that has been spoken and written about GWB, Rove, etc., one would believe that GWB caused Katrina, the May, 1999 Oklahoma City tornado, the Indonesian tsunami, and retroactively the massacre in Tienamen Square and the sinking of the Titanic. His ancestors had to have a hand in those two tragedies. I have very little respect for the news media, tv and printed. I scan the Baltimore Sun every day and have seen very, very little criticism of anything President Obama says or does.
I have decided after observing the last 8 years that GWB can't possibly be all bad. Did the make mistakes? Certainly!! Did Karl Rove always serve his president well? No!! This book does give a positive view of GWB's administration. I like to think of it has a good presentation of the other side of the bitterness and hatred leveled at a good and decent man.
It all boils down to one thing. The Democrats have not and will never get over the 2000 election. It's in the past. It's time to move on.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love all these fake negative reviews..., March 9, 2010
Is it too much to ask to actually read a book before you review it? I got my copy early, and I have, in fact, read it. It is an excellent behind-the-scenes account of the Bush Whitehouse. If you want to know the truth (not the Michael Moore/MSNBC version) then read this book! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something For Everyone, April 1, 2010
David Markgraf (Oostburg, WI United States) - See all my reviews
There is something for everyone in Courage and Consequence. If you are someone who heard/read all the Bush bashing by the media and eventually joined in...you should read this book.

If you are someone who supported the Bush administration in spite of the Bush bashing...you should read this book.

If you are a Democrat, you should read this book to learn of the back stabbing that takes place by those you have placed into positions of power.

If you are part of the media, you should read this book and become ashamed enough to alter your tactics and clean up your profession.

In previewing this review it was noted that it will be listed as being reviewed by David Markgraf but it is really a review by his wife, Judy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the bad reviews. They haven't even read it!, March 10, 2010
Don't listen to those who give bad reviews. It is doubtful that they have even read it and likely have a classic case of Bush derangement syndrome! Most will stick to their predictable game of creating an instant negative commentary the moment a book comes out by someone viewed as their adversary. In their mind, Rove is Enemy #1 so the reactionary outrage is true to form. Ever notice that books authored by liberals are rarely bestsellers and those written with a conservative perspective usually are? I find that interesting given their supposed intellectual curiosity and superiority.

I've not finished the book but find it honest, heartfelt and VERY well-written. Karl is clearly a political genius and doesn't disappoint with his first-hand account of behind the scenes at the Bush White House. The heartfelt recollection of his upbringing gives insight into the man he became.

This is a fascinating read that conservatives will embrace and liberals will disdain!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Side, March 9, 2010
Free speech at its best. An honest look at life inside the political bubble.

Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight