Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 15, 2010
I'd recommend the book. It was not what I expected. It is clear that Mr. Rove carries a sharp blade in his robes and uses it without hesitation when he feels his interests are in danger but he does not hide it in the book which is fairly open and honest. His respect and criticism of President Bush seems soundly based, factual and to the point.

Mr. Rove really does not reveal much about his own values but does give us details about how he came to be who and what he is. He was present in the administration at its most critical points and does reveal the emotions of the moment.

If you thought he was the devil incarnate or if you thought he was Jesus returned, the book will not change that kind of rigid thinking. However, if you are a person who actually values knowing the facts, circumstances and personalities of the time in question and wish to begin forming an unbiased appraisal, it is well worth reading.
44 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2010
A great read, very compelling. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in politics or current events.

This obviously analytically driven man has the ability to translate with his own words the fascinating workings of his gift and his love for analyzing politics and political campaigns. His book provides a glimpse of a softer, kinder and very intelligent man doing what he loves and does well. Although very little detail is given about his family you get a sense of how costly it must have been for them living through those years and how much pain it caused him.

The myths circling this man makes you ask yourself again and again what has happened to journalism in this country.

The book was a page turner for me, enjoyed it thoroughly and was sorry when it ended.

Enjoy!
99 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2010
I must admit, I fell hook, line and sinker for the media's version of Karl Rove as an evil man. Reading the book, he comes across as an intelligent, thoughtful and heartfelt person. I've been watching some of his media interviews this week as he launches his book, and he truly is a good man. I have to take another look at him and the Bush administration. I don't think I gave them a fair shake. I'm a Democrat and my party has really abandoned me over the last several months. Rove has me looking in another direction now. I highly recommend Courage and Consequence to anyone looking for the truth about Washington.
5959 comments|364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2010
Karl Rove was henpecked on the Today Show by Matt Lauer about whether his father was homosexual or not. I cannot imagine Matt Lauer asking any Democrat such an invasive question. This is because Democrats like Matt Lauer worship the Democratic Party. They fawn, they bow, they slaver over how much love and compassion pours out of the Democratic party. Yet for some reason, Karl Rove does not share their adoration for the DNC! For that perceived sin, every full-time Democrat (part-time journalists) will rake him over the coals.

Rove's book will be poorly received as it will not be a derogatory tell-all about the perceived evils of the Bush Administration. There were a number of Bush administration officials who were showered with praise and accolades for trashing their boss. Funny how it only seems to be tell-all books by Republicans that are praised in the news media. If someone writes a book trashing Ted Kennedy or Hillary Clinton, Matt Lauer and the rest of the sycophants on television and print have little to say about it.

Karl Rove has a lot of interesting things to say in his book, it is great reading for anyone wishing to see what modern politics is all about. For Matt Lauer and the rest of the full-time Democrats working at NBC News, ABC News, CBS News, MSNBC News, CNN News, the New York Times, The Washington Post, the LA Times, Newsweek and Time magazine, they will find nothing but disappointment in this tome. Maybe they should be disappointed in themselves for being any less political operatives than Mr. Rove. He is honest in his bias, while Matt Lauer and the rest are not.
7575 comments|327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed Karl Rove's "Courage and Consequences." Scowls appeared when I told people about it (I am asked frequently about which books I am reading), followed by raw, crude, negative comments about Karl Rove. He is a lightning rod here... but that should come as no surprise as I live in one of the most formidable liberal bastions of the United States, the San Francisco Bay Area...home of Congressional reps, Nancy Pelosi, George Miller, Barbara Lee, Senator Boxer, et al.

The Party of the Democrats was home for my ethnic Irish-Italian family for years. My grandfather ran for Congress as a Democrat in Chicago (he lost a close race) and his newspaper, the Chicago Times (followed by the Sun-Times) was the Democrat preferred paper (The Tribune was the Republican paper). My grandfather also served as an informal Midwest domestic advisor for President Truman (his journal of meetings with Truman has recently been donated to the Chicago Historical Society).

With all that, I found that the party of my family had departed from our values and beliefs in the 1970s and I, in good conscience, registered as an independent. When Reagan emerged in the early 80s, extolling the virtues and beliefs espoused by my parents and grandparents, the "original" Democrats, I joined the revolution and registered as a Republican.

With roots like these, politics has always been in my blood, along with a keen interest in party politics and the truth behind the curtain. Does the emperor have any clothes? Rove tells us. This is THE book for those interested in looking behind the curtain, for those seeking truth about politics and the truth about Bush and the Bush presidency, and for those who are political junkies like me.

In "Courage and Consequences," Rove covers his family background (ain't pretty), his personal struggles, his entry into politics, his campaign consulting business, and his work on both the gubernatorial and presidential campaigns of George W. Bush. The book is chock-full of names, dates, and events that permeated every major issue or crisis faced in the Bush years. He finishes the book with some prescient insights on our current president based on interactions with him and his team of advisors.

History is important as it provides context for what is going on today as long it is truth-based. I followed our entry into Afghanistan and Iraq closely as I have two step-sons in the military. I was surprised when the party of my ancestors, the Democrats, provided a revisionist twist to their support and then later, after Pelosi took the leadership of the House, did everything they could to blunt any Bush legislative initiatives from passing "to make him and the Republicans look bad". Many today forget Pelosi led the first "do-nothing" congress, 2006-2008 (which raises a question as to why they are now accusing the Republicans of divisiveness by stalling legislation by President Obama!). Rove's history of these events, the decisions that led to the invasion of Iraq, and the truth of Pelosi's reign, is must read for all Americans...to remind them of the real truth and not the revisionist myths that are presently being perpetuated as historical fact.

Revisionists Obama (did Bush really tell Americans to "Go Shopping" after 9.11) Paul Krugman, Tom Friedman, Nancy Pelosi, Jane Harman (thought she had more integrity than what she displayed on this issue), Chuck Schumer, Tom Daschle, Dick Gephardt, Joe Wilson, Valerie Plame, John Edwards, John Kerry, Jay Rockefeller, Sen Bob Graham, and, of course, Altar Boy Al Gore are all exposed for what they are when it comes to double-speak and integrity. No wonder the citizens of this country are having a tough time believing anyone in D.C.

I can assure anyone who is not biased against Karl Rove and picks up Rove's book will find it hard to put down. It is well written and provides one of the best D.C. insider views I have ever read. Rove has done a great service for the republic.
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2015
An absolutely riveting insight into one of the most controversial campaign strategists of the last 50 years. The brains behind the George W Bush Texas and Presidential election, Rove provides not only a history, but an insight into political strategy that is unique, useful and relevant to our 2016 elections. A great read.
on March 15, 2010
The dirty tactics on the left never cease to amaze me. I don't blame anyone for not liking Bush 43 or Karl Rove, but if you are going to submit a book review, please read the book first! Remember that freedom of speech is most important for views and opinions that you don't agree with - you might just learn something.

I am only about a quarter of the way through Mr. Rove's tome, but feel obligated to leave an early review in order to counter some of the one-star ratings. Although it is not the best book or biography I have ever read, I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Mr. Rove spends just the right amount of time on his early years and definitely taught me things about himself that I was not aware of. By page 150 he is already relating stories about the 2000 presidential election.
I started reading Bill Clinton's memoirs a couple of weeks before starting this book. One thing that strikes me is the similarities between the two men in their formative years. I suppose this is understandable when you have two individuals who fell in love with politics at very early ages. Unfortunately President Clinton's book is a lot slower reading and contains far too much detail on his early years (I am on page 300 and he is just running for his second try at Governor of Arkansas).

The thing I like most about Mr. Rove's book at this point is how he confronts head-on every issue that has been raised about his personal life and about the way he runs political campaigns. It strikes me as sincere and honest, although perhaps I am naïve. I hope to enjoy the rest of the book as much as I have the beginning. I'll update this review when I have completed it.
44 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2010
For eight years I listened and read the mainstream media's daily account of the work of the Bush Administration. The Left rails against Fox News for its "conservative bias" but fails to acknowledge its passionate love affair with the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. If one believes everything that has been spoken and written about GWB, Rove, etc., one would believe that GWB caused Katrina, the May, 1999 Oklahoma City tornado, the Indonesian tsunami, and retroactively the massacre in Tienamen Square and the sinking of the Titanic. His ancestors had to have a hand in those two tragedies. I have very little respect for the news media, tv and printed. I scan the Baltimore Sun every day and have seen very, very little criticism of anything President Obama says or does.
I have decided after observing the last 8 years that GWB can't possibly be all bad. Did the make mistakes? Certainly!! Did Karl Rove always serve his president well? No!! This book does give a positive view of GWB's administration. I like to think of it has a good presentation of the other side of the bitterness and hatred leveled at a good and decent man.
It all boils down to one thing. The Democrats have not and will never get over the 2000 election. It's in the past. It's time to move on.
11 comment|178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2013
This book was pretty dry. It was interesting as it told of Rove's role inside the Bush White House during the war on terror, during his two campaigns for the presidency but if you are not already in the Bush camp, this book will absolutely bore you to death. Write me a book that appeals to the masses sot that it captures the moment. This was a personal account and summary of the Bush presidency and his view of it and role in it. If you can appreciate the book for what it is, which it is indeed that, than you will enjoy it. From that perspective, I certainly did.
on March 9, 2010
Is it too much to ask to actually read a book before you review it? I got my copy early, and I have, in fact, read it. It is an excellent behind-the-scenes account of the Bush Whitehouse. If you want to know the truth (not the Michael Moore/MSNBC version) then read this book! Highly recommended.
1717 comments|251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse