1,901 Reviews
 (1,703)

5.0 out of 5 stars Courage to be a father!
I had the privilege of viewing "Courageous" this afternoon with my wife and two very gracious friends who had secured tickets for the initial showing in our city. I am a police officer, having logged on 23 years with the Carlsbad Police Department (NM), so I was looking forward to this movie with great anticipation.
Our friends asked me to comment on the authenticity...
Published on October 2, 2011 by officerbrad

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a movie for people who are already in the faith
I think there are very redeemable elements to this movie. It was a good message with practical application. What I wish was different is that Christian films often seem to need to put in awkward dialog in an effort to clearly reiterate the "lesson" in each scene. A really great film always shares the story, and then let's the audience come to their own conclusion. In...
Published 19 months ago by Ethicsrule

5.0 out of 5 stars Courage to be a father!, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
Our friends asked me to comment on the authenticity of the daily law enforcement duties that would be depicted in this film. I can say the Kendrick brothers really did their homework; the daily operations were very well done and true to the life of the law enforcement officer.
"Honor begins at home" is the main message of this story focusing on the duties we fathers have in raising our children. God expects we fathers to be "leaders" in our homes. Seeing there is a serious problem in this country of fatherless homes, the writers address this issue very well.
The action is pure adrenaline; I was with these men every step of the way. There is also tragedy that will tear your heart. Yes, I shed some tears.
I commend the Kendrick brothers, all the fine actors and actresses, and the production crew for again creating a quality dynamic movie that will touch and convict hearts. I know that I was convicted about being apathetic in a few areas of my life. Everyone please view this movie, and may God bless you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
I was able to see a free viewing of this movie thru LifeWay ministries through our local church. AMAZING MOVIE!!! Just like with FLYWHEEL, FACING THE GIANTS and FIREPROOF these brothers have made a movie that can change peoples lives. This movie is about fathers and their role in the family. What would happen if fathers actually connected with their wives and kids......what a diffrence they would make! I would reccommend this movie to everyone!!!!Comes out in theatres september 30th, 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatherhood theme via a Christian Faith-based dramatic backdrop, September 30, 2011
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
Expect in-your-face fatherhood morals bursting from an action/emotion story.
Expect the F-words: Faith, Fatherhood, Fears, Failings, Family, Forgiveness.
Expecting goodness, I entered the theater for the 1st opening day matinee. Found it great.
Sheriff Deputies know the necessity of partnership. They take it to heart by forming a small group of men, adding one ethnic carpenter outsider, and strive to make a difference in the lives of their families. They base their "Resolutions" vows upon the Bible. Unfortunately it takes some tragic circumstances to get the men to this point. Their courageous open faith position will not always be taken well...as Dep. Adam Mitchell (Alex Kendrick-Dir, Writer, Editor, Actor) states, "some will mock, some will have no resolve, others will say `I WILL'. Men of courage with God's help." He notes they will (and do) face conflict, challenge, controversy, & need courage. Each man has his own family issues, each an individual path of struggle.

A debate is sure to develop. Which is best, "Courageous" or "Fireproof" (2008); the last 2 films by the Kendrick brothers. I vote, equal. Alex does it all in this 4th Faith-based film adventure, while Stephen writes and produces. They also did "Flywheel" 2003; and "Facing the Giants" 2006. Is this film a moral and faith statement from the writers? YES! Of course! That's what they and their church intend. Expect it, and perhaps be blessed.

This film begins immediately with ACTION, life-threatening, a crashing peak, and then an emotional end to the scene. Hold on to your hat, because you have almost 2 hours of emotion, action, and even some comedy ahead after that. Ken Bevel, as Hayes (Yes, from Fireproof) is new to this police squad. No big HOLLYWOOD stars in this low-budget film that relies on none of the typical theater gimmicks. This film, as in preceding Kendrick film successes, relies on spiritual subject matter, PG13 rating, and the targeting of the Christian Theater viewer, eager for BIGGER-FASTER-STRONGER, but also family and faith oriented. It's worked for the Kendricks' casts & crews in the past, it will work again. Expect "COURAGEOUS" in the theater for a few weeks, and then the DVD will be bought by those same viewers...and more.

Viewership will grow, word of mouth, father to father, mom to mom, pew to pew, family to family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A single mom recommends it, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
As a single mom, I was a little afraid that a movie that encourages fathers towards faithfulness would be discouraging to me. I was afraid that it might poke where I hurt.

Several of my teens and I watched _Courageous_ during its opening weekend. I laughed really hard; I cried too. I was pleased that the plot had some unexpected twists. I felt the characterization was believable. Some of the one-on-one violence (punching) was a little much for my stomach, but certainly seemed to fit the plot; it wasn't gratuitous. The next morning it suddenly occurred to me that I noticed not one swear word. Not one. (Thanks, Sherwood Films!!)

Over the last 14 months much has sapped me of strength and courage, sadly, all of it coming from within the Christian community. By contrast, this movie gave me renewed strength and courage for the task before me as a single mom.

In my family, both _Fireproof_ and _Courageous_ are now mandatory viewing for everyone age 12 and up. Jesus used stories to engage hearts and minds to turn people towards Himself. _Courageous_, likewise uses a story to engage hearts and minds to turn people towards Christ and toward their God-given responsibilities as parents. I highly recommend it.

Even for single moms. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see!, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
This movie is amazing. Never before have I been brought to tears during the first few moments of a film! So many themes were woven into 2 hours of film: fatherhood, forgiveness, courtship, parenting, obedience, trust, despair/hope, love, strength, and of course COURAGE! The Kendrick brothers will take you on a ride of emotions....I laughed so hard, I cried. Then I cried so hard again. I did feel exhausted upon leaving the theater, but in a fresh, encouraged way. Wether you are a father, mother, young person or older person, you will be moved and motivated to spend your time on earth here with purpose! Don't forget to bring the tissues!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
Saw it today. Just like "Flywheel", "Facing the Giants", and "Fireproof", this is one of the best movies ever made. All father's should see this movie. Our court system should require dead beat dads see this movie as part of their court appearance. Mr Kendrick, you are a saint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Touches your inner spirit, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
Loved this movie! This movie plays on every emotion...make sure you take a box of Kleenex. Every man should see this movie, really puts emphasis on the important role of a Father. Every woman should drag their Husband, Son or Father to this movie. We forget in the hustle and bustle of everyday life the important role we each play in the lives of others. This movie touches you spiritually. Shows how we complicate our lives with "stuff" and how simple life really is and by keeping God at the center of your life, how good can overcome evil. Can't wait until it comes out in video...would make an excellent Father's Day gift for a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anti Hollywood Family Movie, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Courageous (Amazon Instant Video)
I have all the other movies that Sherwood pictures has made and each one gets better in quality but you have to look beyond that and see the wonderful message in each one. Courageous is a fantastic movie! I have never cried so hard or laughed anymore in a single movie. The message to fathers is timeless and needed very much in this day. It will make you think and move your heart. With all the filth and language coming from Hollywood today it is good to be able to watch a movie with your children (8 and up) and not make them cover their eyes or ears or ask them to leave the room or cringe while you hope they didn't pick up on the sexual innuendo the latest Disney cartoon movie slipped in to draw more adults. Like all movies you should watch it first and then decide if it is appropriate for your children. This one is well worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous - an AWESOME movie!, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
This was one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time. I would recommend this movie to all adults not just men. It's very easy to get caught up in day to day living and this movie really makes you think about making children and family a priority. I can't wait for the movie to be available to purchase. I want to buy a copy for my sons and brothers. The movie is inspiring and encouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kendrick Bro's up'd the notch again - A MOVIE FOR ANYONE!, January 12, 2012
aka (smyrna, TN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
Why the MPAA can rate this movie as PG-13 then set PG (and G) movies with rotgut dialogue and visuals is no mystery considering their disdain for Christian faith. Even Sony is sure you see their "we don't agree with this" disclaimer for faith movies.

Hey Kendricks, next time just skip the MPAA and use the KBAA (Kendrick Brother) rating... or perhaps Dove association.

The Review:
My wife and I saw the movie once together then again with our 3 children (ages 6-11). THEY LOVED IT! And so did we. This movie will have you crying then moments later laughing then on the edge of your seat only to reach for the tissues again. There's great drama, great humor (holding your gut humor), and great action.

The Kendrick Bro's up'd the notch again on the quality of their story-telling film making. Even my movie-allergic father loved the movie. So I'll probably get him a DVD too.

Our family can't wait to see the next Kendrick movie!

This movie has surprising twists and turns with no anticlimaxes and has satisfying conclusion.

Courageous
Courageous by Alex Kendrick (DVD - 2012)
$14.99 $7.50