Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 9:58:26 AM PST
I am really interested in non-duality and Buddhist teachings and would like to read A Course in Miracles. I do not consider myself to have any religion (although I was born Jewish) and wondered if the course would be suitable for someone non-religious? I have read a few pages and there seem to be a lot of references to 'God' and things like that. Any advice would be welcome.
Edit your post:
Insert a product link To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
I am really interested in non-duality and Buddhist teachings and would like to read A Course in Miracles. I do not consider myself to have any religion (although I was born Jewish) and wondered if the course would be suitable for someone non-religious? I have read a few pages and there seem to be a lot of references to 'God' and things like that. Any advice would be welcome.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 11:08:48 PM PST
christopher says:
the GOD of A Course In Miracles is the conscious universe, the big MIND of reality. The Course itself says atheist can be teachers of GOD "the come from all religions and no religion". But ultimately you must get over your opposition to GOD, sine the very definition of GOD is a supreme and divine mind who creates everything in reality. Further more, there is so many references to the bible and Jesus Christ, that some basic bible knowledge is necessary to accurately understand many passages. The Course itself claims its authorship is Jesus Christ of Nazareth!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 7:03:29 PM PST
Thank you. I am not averse to God, I actually believe in God, but do not consider myself to have a religion and think I would struggle with the bible references. Thank you for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 7:53:18 PM PST
The terminology in A Course in Miracles is of Christian form, however the meanings are totally different than the meanings used in traditional Christianity. I have been been studying and working with the Course for nine years and I understand that this work is a course correction for many of the errors of Christianity which continue to be a major influence in the Western world.

It might help to check out the Clarification of Terms, which is at the end of the Manual for Teachers, the third section of the book, to understand the meanings of the terms as they are used in the Course. The term "Father" in the Course as I understand it is the same as "Oneness" or "the Unconditioned."

The nondual content of ACIM is similar to the teachings of Advaita Vedanta and the Dzogen teachings of Buddhism. It might help to check out the youtube videos/audios of Kenneth Bok. He is a student of Buddhism and A Course in Miracles.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Course in Miracles: Text, Workbook for Students and Manual for Teachers
A Course in Miracles: Text, Workbook for Students and Manual for Teachers by Foundation for Inner Peace (Paperback - April 17, 1989)