Format: Hardcover
If you are already a fan of Marianne Williamson, you will probably enjoy this book. If you are not familiar with her, it may help to know her background before considering this book. She has spent many years studying and teaching the concepts of "A Course in Miracles" which is a spiritual book. She noticed that while embracing these concepts, her emotional need to use food to suppress her negative feelings disappeared. The idea of writing this book came from a conversation with Oprah Winfrey, one of the world's best known dieters.

As you might suspect, this book is not about food, it is about spirituality. It is about finding a power greater than you for help. As Marianne told Oprah, "If you could do it by yourself, you would have done it by now". Good point!

Many people will relate to the thoughts in this book. Childhood wounds create addictive behavior to treat the wounds. When you overeat for comfort, you are not doing it to give yourself love - you are doing it because you dislike something about yourself. When you eat one cookie, it is okay. When you eat the whole bag, it is an act of self-hate.

The premise is that the cause of excessive weight is not in your body, it is in your mind. More specifically, it is fear which blocks feelings of love. The purpose of this course is to find the fear and replace it with love.

There are several exercises and assignments to help you put names on the feelings, such as pain, shame, loathing and whatever you are personally feeling. There are prayers and mental exercises, as well as a journaling section. This is not a book to read passively and expect your life to change. If you really do these things to find and change your feelings, it will probably work for you. This is also a book that is meant to be reviewed several times to reinforce your feelings.

If you tend to be more of a passive reader who wants to read a book and go on to the next one, you might want to consider the audio version of this book and listen to it several times. Marianne is an excellent speaker and really connects with the listener. She is very passionate.

If you are turned off by spirituality and references to God, you may be tempted to skip this book. The ideas and principles are really about your subconscious feelings and how they drive your eating. You are feeding your feelings and not your body. They can apply to anyone no matter what your spiritual beliefs are.

This is not a book to be used alone, because it does not address food. Eating is not rocket science. There is not a heavy person in the world that doesn't know that broccoli is good for you and donuts are bad. However, in today's world it is important to understand more about how certain foods affect your body. Dr. Dean Ornish writes the forward to this book and discusses addictive behavior and diet failure. He and others like him are a good source of information on nutrition.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who has struggled with their eating. An obsession with food is like any obsessive relationship. It is about getting and not giving. What is missing from your life? What are you trying to get from food?

Bill Cashell - Author of "The Emotional Diet"
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
If you are already a fan of Marianne Williamson, you will probably enjoy this program. If you are not familiar with her, it may help to know her background before considering this audio book. She has spent many years studying and teaching the concepts of "A Course in Miracles" which is a spiritual book. She noticed that while embracing these concepts, her emotional need to use food to suppress her negative feelings disappeared. The idea of writing this book came from a conversation with Oprah Winfrey, one of the world's best known dieters.

I enjoyed the audio version of this book more than the written book. Marianne is an excellent speaker and really connects with the listener. She is very passionate. I would rate it 4 1/2 stars for emotional-driven eating. It will probably not be the answer for someone who just has a sweet tooth.

There are several exercises and assignments to help you put names on the feelings, such as pain, shame, loathing and whatever you are personally feeling. There are prayers and mental exercises, as well as a journaling section. This is not a program to listen to passively and expect your life to change. If you really do these things to find and change your feelings, it will probably work for you. This is also a program that is meant to be reviewed several times to reinforce your feelings.

This is not a program to be used alone, because it does not address food. Eating is not rocket science. There is not a heavy person in the world that doesn't know that broccoli is good for you and donuts are bad. However, in today's world it is important to understand more about how certain foods affect your body. Dr. Dean Ornish writes the forward to this book and discusses addictive behavior and diet failure. He and others like him are a good source of information on nutrition.

This program is written more for women, but many men are emotional eaters as well. I highly recommend this program to everyone who has struggled with their eating. An obsession with food is like any obsessive relationship. It is about getting and not giving. What is missing from your life? What are you trying to get from food?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2010
Format: Hardcover
I found this book inspiring. Every page had something significant to say, and the author came at the topic of weight loss from an entirely different perspective from anything on the market. We all know that thousands of books on weight loss have been published. We also know that none of them really seem to work over time. If any one of them did work, then the scientific community would have no choice but to pursue that particular concept with all out zeal and we would all beat a path to the door of the person who created the system.

Now having said that, it seems to me that Marianne Williamson has latched onto something, and its breathtaking in its scope and the promise it holds for the tens of millions of Americans who are just carrying around too much weight. The Foreword by Dean Ornish is worth its weight in gold. Make sure you read it. Dr. Ornish has been a world renowned heart specialist for more than 20 years and a very prominent author in his own right.

Ornish mentions in this section that for years he could not understand how people could be addicted to overeating, smoking, drinking, substance abuse, and other maladaptive behaviors. One day a patient said to him, why are you saying maladaptive, the behavior is totally adaptive to me, not maladpative to me. These behaviors get me though my day. I have 20 friends in that pack of cigarettes. You know you simply have to look at it from the user's perspective. Another patient told him if he feels lonely, he eats. He coats his nerves with the food he consumes, it numbs his pain.

The Introduction is also a must read. It will set up the rest of the book for you. The third part of the book is "Embarking on the Journey", and in this section Ms. Williamson goes through the thrust of her presentation, and that in the end, it is your belief and faith in God that will help you shed the weight that you have carried for so many years.

I want to give you a flavoring of what she has to say from different sections of the book and you will see for yourself how different this book is from all the rest on weight loss.

* Unless your subconscious mind is enrolled in your weight loss efforts, your soul will find a way to reconstitute the excess weight regardless of what you do.

* Root out your fear, and replace it with inestimable love.

* Addiction is when you can't STOP.

* Freud felt that Intelligence will be used in the service of neurosis (an absolutely extraordianry statement)

* No matter how smart you are, or how much work you have done on yourself, you alone cannot outsmart the psychic force of compulsion and addiction

* God can outwit your insanity.

* The Great Lie is that food that is actually bad for you has the power to Comfort, Nurture, and Sustain you.

* Unhealthy eating is an act of Self-Hate. Overeating is a form of violence. You are taking up the Sword against yourself.

* You don't have the human capacity to fix this problem. If you did, you would have done so already.

How the book is Organized?

After the Preface, Introduction, and Embarking on the Journey, comes 21 different short chapters. It seems that they are to be read one a day, and over and over again, until you internalize them. The author has gone through considerable efforts to name these chapters with highly appropriate powerful phrases. It works.

My personal favorites were:

Chapter 10) Consecrate Your Body

Chapter 17) Forgive Yourself and Others

Chapter 18) Honor the Powers

Chapter 21) The Body Brilliant

Summary:

We all know that to whatever extent we believe, that faith has the ability to move mountains, to effectuate profound change and make it permanent. Everything starts with belief. Nothing is manifested in reality until it is first a belief in the mind. Marianne Williamson has now taken these concepts and applied them to the world of weight loss, insisting that only a belief in a divine power, and then giving yourself over to a divine force is the only way to effectuate a true re-design of your body and your spirit.

Now having read the entire book and having tried to internalize it, I think she may just have something. Everything else has seemed to fail through the years for so many. Why not try a little old fashion faith in the divine power of God to help so many transcend and finally conquer a problem that has caused so much pain and agony. I gladly give this book five stars, and thank you for reading this review.

Richard C. Stoyeck
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I love this program! I have been listening to the CD's in my car, and they are changing the way I feel about food, but even more they change the way I feel about myself. This program emphasizes self love and forgiveness as a way to overcome the challenges of chronic overeating. I believe it would be valuable to anyone who has struggled with emotional eating and has been unsuccessful with dieting, or who has a generally unhealthy relationship with food.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2010
Format: Hardcover
First let me say I am a huge fan of Marianne Williamson. I own every book and every tape that has been available to purchase. I get her message and genuinely admire her teaching abilities. She has made a huge difference in my life and helped me get through some of my biggest challenges. As a clinician who is passionate about weight, weight related issues and health I wanted to love or at least like this book. It's message while I don't totally disagree with some of the ideas and most of the principles, I can also see as harmful. I found my self wincing at the tone, the judgement and for me the blatant inauthenticity of this book. It seems to have a singular premise that obesity is based in fear predicated on self loathing. This is a wrong assertion, not totally but in part. The book has a judgmental feel and a distinctive labeling that somehow one must be a compulsive eater to have issues with weight loss. The letters and examples feel contrived. None of this seems like the authentic writing of the author and speaker I have come to know love and admire. So I don't like this book for many people especially the hundreds and hundreds of overweight people I have worked with, but I am sure it will help some. The relentless exercise demands relative to developing a spiritual plan would likely overwhelm a spiritual marathoner. It is in my opinion boot camp in a world that just isn't set up to support that. I could go on and on, but it hurts me to even criticize the work of someone I admire so much. But I love my patients more and I would hate for them to get hold of this, get overwhelmed, and give up. I hope many people feel differently and can do it all. I hope MW turns out to to be the right one, starts a revolution and gets the financial rewards that come with success. I just see it differently. All the best and love to anyone struggling.

4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
AS much as many of us would like to deny it, we are addicted to food. This book will not only open your eyes, but it will also throw you a rope.

I purchased the book and the audio book too, then I purchased the meditations. Using them together, I have lost 35 lbs, over half way to my goal of 60 lbs!

We all need to learn to "eat to live and not live to eat..."
on December 26, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book guides you to take a brutally honest look at "why" you are overweight. It is NOT a "diet" book. It is heavily drawn from "A Course In Miracles" and the Overeaters Anon 12 step program. It took me quite a while to read. I had trouble with the deep truth it asked me to face. My weight serves a purpose and until I face the reasons and release them, I will keep the weight on. It asks you to rethink "food as a friend" to "food is an object" It is a work in progress for me and probably always will be. I loved this book and hated this book for the dark past it made me deal with. I agree with another reviewer that the introduction is worth the price of the book alone. For those ready for real work it is the best book I have ever read on the subject.
on December 4, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I love this book! Anyone who has struggled with weight and or food issues I strongly recommend this book.
The ideas presented really do work!! I purchased both the book and the CD and used the two together.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
Marianne Williamson, bestselling author of The Age of Miracles: Embracing the New Midlife, returns with a fascinating idea of helping us lose weight- and keeping it off.

Now you see, that's the real problem. Most diets *DO* work- for around 2-6 months. Then it gets boring or you get cravings, you dump the diet and regain the weight. Yo-yo dieting is also bad for your health. What's needed is a way to adjust your lifestyle so that you keep the pounds off.

As the author says "I was never a food addict, but for years I was a compulsive eater. Diets did not work. I would starve myself, then binge, starve myself, then binge, in a constant cycle of self- abnegation and self-indulgence. I hated many things about the situation, but what was worse than anything else was how much I thought about food. I was obsessed with it. The thought of eating hardly ever left my mind. And then it did, in a miraculous way.
When I began studying A Course in Miracles, I wasn't consciously thinking of my weight as an area where I needed a miracle. But one day I looked down and couldn't believe what I saw, on the scale or on my body. Weight had simply dropped off and I realized why. The weight had merely been a physical manifestation of my need to keep other people at bay. I feared other people and I'd built a wall to protect myself. Practicing the Course, I'd learned to extend my hand across the wall. I learned ways to replace fear with love. I asked God to enter my life and make all things right. And the wall had disappeared.""

The central message of this book is simple- "that your path to weight loss is a path to the highest expression of who you are. This makes the journey a spiritual quest."

I have to admit I have not lost any weight yet, or even undergone all 21 steps. But, I agree with the basic message here- that we MUST change our life in order to change our weight. And, this book may well be the right path for some of us to do so.

And, the author writes so beautifully and clearly, it's so easy to read. Mind you, it's over 250 pages, and true understanding of all the lessons is not an easy road.

Is this book THE answer? Not for everyone, I am sure. However, it will work for many and it certainly is better than "yo-yo" dieting.

Look into it if this seems to be your problem. It might just be the right solution for you. Of course, one should always discuss any new program with your Physician.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Loved this. I can see how this material can be used for ANYTHING we struggle with (weight, over-spending, gambling, procrastinating, etc.)I ordered the audio version, so that I can listen while I do other tasks, and as I fall asleep at night. Even the sound of Marianne's voice is so soothing that it is part of the healing process.