5.0 out of 5 stars Magically love
Published on February 6, 2012 by JacquieMT

2.0 out of 5 stars Yikes! Do-Over Please!
Published on February 1, 2012 by bookworm37

2.0 out of 5 stars Yikes! Do-Over Please!, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Courting the Darkness (Courting the Darkness Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to be honest - I mean that's the idea behind reviews - this book was not very good at all. Thank God it was free or I'd be asking for a refund! I forced myself to finish it so I could give it a fair review. The storyline, though somewhat similar to the Sookie books, was a great idea. However, it was not well written. It felt rushed and the characters are under-developed - really bad. When I think of strong male characters who are 300+ year old vampires or shape-shifters I don't see them saying "Hey buddy!" or "Thanks buddy" - that just makes them sound silly and weak. I suggest if you are going to write more books in this series that you read a few of the Sookie books (Charlaine Harris) and see how each character is well-rounded, strong but with vulnerabilities.

Not sure if I'll read another book by this author. Perhaps if the next book is free I'll try the sample and see. I do believe in second chances.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uhhhg - Awful, January 31, 2012
I should have known on the 1st page when instead of Mardi Gras it was Marti Gras what I was in for. I thought, give them the benefit of the doubt, it was a typo. The typo was repeated numerous times.

The conversations were stilted and felt like something I had read before (only much better in the original version). The heroine was useless. The guys were 1 dimensional. The proof reading was horrible. I think the only thing used was spell check. Words were spelled correctly but they were the wrong words for the sentences. It was like whoever spell checked it just hit ok to the word without checking its context to the story.

I gave up. I think self publishing is great, but please if you are going to that effort have someone proof your book. Maybe some people can get past these errors, I personally am happy to overlook a few, but when it gets to the point where I feel have to re-read to see what they meant b/c it was said wrong, that is just wrong. I read to escape not feel like I should be proof reading some kids homework.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but predictable, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Courting the Darkness (Paperback)
This is a story about a 125 year old witch named Desiree who is kidnapped by a witch hunter and has the aid of a vampire (Mica) and a shapeshifter (Caleb) to help bring her back to New Orleans.

While the storyline was cute and the characters likeable, the writing itself was just....not good. The author overused certain words and phrases like "inky darkness" and "easing" and "fur ball" and there were some typos in the book. The character development is probably the biggest problem I had with the book. Aside from the book's cover not matching the physical descriptions of the characters themselves, I found the main players in this book to be one-dimensional and just unrealistic. I really don't think a 125 yr old woman would be so weak and afraid, crying all the time and acting helpless, (and then at the end becomes brave and powerful thanks to spells - wow have those spells been her whole life?) or that a 300 yr old vampire would speak so immaturely. Then there was Caleb, 300+ yrs old acting like a horned-up teen. The ending was anti-climactic and predictable.

I gave this book 3 stars because the idea was original and creative and the love scenes were done well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magically love, February 6, 2012
Life was boring for Mica until he had to go to find a witch that Drake, his master wanted so she could help him be able to be out in the day. Desiree had been kidnapped and was going to be killed because of her gifts and someone was out to get her because she was able to escape his father fifty years before. Mica and his shape shifter friend, Caleb find her and escape with her. They go to a cave to hide out and the magic begins. Mica has found his love in Desiree. The bond between the two is just what both of them have always wanted. The question is, will they be together forever, or will her cards show them otherwise? Very well written story with sequels to come. I look forward to reading more of this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read!, June 12, 2012
This was a new twist on the vampire romance genre and a thoroughly enjoyable read. The story line moved quickly and the pace never slowed. It held my interest and I finished it in one afternoon. The romance between the vampire and the witch had me rooting for a happy ending and I will certainly be in line for more books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courting the Darkness by Karen Fuller, April 25, 2012
It would be every woman's fantasy and desire to be sought after by 4 powerful men. Well it could be if they weren't seeking her company for all the wrong reasons. One wants her love and her heart but the other three are not as altruistic. They want more. Her talent as a witch to enhance power, her beauty and physicality to warm his bed and the most frightening of all, one wants to burn her at the stake for the witch she is.

After making a deal with a man she fears, Desiree is kidnapped and on the run. Trying to escape from a powerful group of people who still believe witches should be tortured and burned at the stake. Her rescuers are not much better. Sent to find her and bring her back to New Orleans by a powerful vampire they need to bring her back quickly so they don't incur the wrath of her temporary ally and employer. But getting back to New Orleans is not as easy as they thought. It will take skill and cunning to leave the witch hunters behind. It will also take discipline not to fall in love.

The story line was interesting, the characters had potential and the locales were colorful.

But, and this is a big one, there are so many spelling errors, grammatical mistakes and incorrect metaphors and similies I was ready to throw my Kindle in frustration. Please authors, spell check is not enough. There are some really good programs online that do so much more if you cannot or will not hire an editor. Online publishing doesn't excuse for poor editing.

I liked the story. I wanted to immerse myself in it and enjoy the plot and the characters but the errors made it jarring and uneven. Hopefully the author will have a better sense of editing in her next attempt because I think she has talent as a storyteller.

Karen Bryant Doering,
Parent's Little Black Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 31, 2012
I was looking for a good PNR and in this book I did not find it. Even though the action started immediately it is totally unbelievable. The characters are also not well developed and are unrelateable. The story started to get a bit repetivie about 22% into the book which tells me that there may be a lot of movement and action but no depth. I may hold on to the book to finish when I have nothing better to do or read but for now it is being toss aside with all the other under rated dribble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review for Courting the Darkness, September 19, 2011
Well I want to start out with saying that I could not put this book down. I loved the characters, the plot and the storyline. I was neglecting my daily activities when I was reading this great book. Courting the Darkness is fast paced, full of action and adventure and just and all around great read. This book comes highly recommended by me for anyone over the age of eighteen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courting the Darkness, September 21, 2014
Meet Mica - a vampire who has to find a witch that his Master needs to find. Meet Desiree - the witch who someone is trying to kill because of her gifts. When these two meet Mica knows he has found his love. There is a bond between them that they have always wanted but never found until now. Would definitely recommend this book to everyone. Congrats Karen Fuller.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, October 16, 2013
what a great Book..I read over 1000 romance books over time..mostly Historical and Paranormal romance..So sometimes it is hard for me to find a good book to read.... I got this as a free book from Amazon for my Kindle...with free books u never know what u will get...but I'm willing to try new Authors...I read good ones and not so good ones.....this will be a keeper..well done..give it a try ..u will love it..I will read more books from this Author..