What's with the Courtship between ID and Christian Apologetics Lately?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2010 6:10:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2010 11:47:59 PM PDT
S.D. Parker says:
I have to ask, am I the only Christian who is very uncomfortable with recent works such as this, Unapologetic Apologetics, God is Great God is Good, and others, which convey something of a courtship between Christian apologetics and the ideas of the ID movement?

As a Christian and an evolutionist who finds his religion defensible, I do not feel this state of affairs is healthy for the intellectual presentation of Christianity. While I don't expect all Christians to agree with me on the issue of evolution, can we not be more ecumenical in our presentation of this matter? Why slant the discussion of creation toward the views of IDists? With all due respect to my pro-ID brethren, I do believe that such only tarnishes the image of Christian apologetics as a whole for those with sympathies toward evolution but are otherwise fence-sitters on the matter of religious belief. And that's a shame because when it comes to other issues scholars like Ben Witherington, Craig Blomberg, and philosophers like W.L. Craig have many good ideas and arguments in support of Christianity that deserve a hearing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:09:32 PM PST
The reason why there is such rabid disagreement is, in large part, due to the visceral attacks made by leading evolutionists. While it is logically possible for evolution and theism to be compatible, the evolutionists refuse to allow it. Any time a theist suggests that God used evolution to achieve His goals, the vast majority of evolutionists do not take the theist seriously as a scientist since, in their view, the theist is offering a theory of causation that doesn't actually cause anything. In their view, material causes are all that exists and if the evidence shows otherwise, that simply indicates we have insufficient evidence.

That being said, there are tremendous problems with neo-Darwinian evolution which the evolutionists simply do not take seriously in public (although they do attack the problems very seriously behind closed doors . . . that really is where the scientific work is being done). The ID folks are not "creationists" in the young earth sense (although they can have a home in ID too). In fact, ID can allow for theistic evolution. The problem is that the professional evolutionists deliberately downplay the different ways ID can be interpreted and instead cast it as a bunch of young earth creationist Bible thumpers. Simply put, they are not and such characterizations are disingenuous at best as professional evolutionists try to protect their turf.

This is not to say that there aren't people on the creationist side that contribute to the problem. I'm just saying that when creationists do try to create any sort of dialogue or meet evolutionists half way, they have routinely got the short end of the stick.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Evidence for God: 50 Arguments for Faith from the Bible, History, Philosophy, and Science
Evidence for God: 50 Arguments for Faith from the Bible, History, Philosophy, and Science by Mike Licona (Paperback - July 1, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (19)