Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 23, 2002
I was not certain what to expect when I purchased this book recently, having read several of Terri Blackstock's Christian Fiction romance novels. I was not prepared for the emotions this book evoked. Although saddened by the turn of events that brought the twins into a life of poverty, I was spellbound by the descriptions of the life that was being offered to them. It was truly a modern day parable about the Kingdom of God and His amazing love. It warmed my heart to see His love being so accurately displayed in the character of Amanda and the choices that we as humans can and do make were brought to life in the characters of Kara and Lizzie.
I sometimes feel that Christian fiction is not as well written or edited as secular fiction; however this is a truly amazing piece of literature.
on July 21, 2002
When three year old twins lose their mother and then their father, the result is all about money. The love of Amanda is so great but her frustrations are so many. Legal entanglements prevent her from fulfilling her promise to her husband. Evil grandparents neglect and abuse the twins while living off their money. Even though the twins suffer the same fate, they part ways over a very difficult decision. It costs both of them dearly.
Written to take place in the south, about people and places which literally come alive, Blackstock did a great job of keeping the reader totally spellbound until the very end.
on December 4, 2003
I loved this book for its truths that aren't preachy or couched in a cloak of self-righteousness. This book was an incredible parable for the way that God is ready to welcome us back if and when we finally get our act together. I loved it!
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2002
First of all, I have to tell you that I'm really don't read much fiction at all. My preference in books is Christian non-fiction, mainly Christian Living books, devotionals, books on prayer, and the like.
But I did pick this book up and I had a very hard time putting it down. This is the story of twin girls whose father dies and they find themselves going from a very nice well-provided-for life to being treated horribly and not even having basic needs (clean clothes, decent food, and a clean bed to sleep in) met! The money-hungry grandparents get custody of the girls early in the story and most of the book takes place during those 15 years between the time the girls were 3 and when they turn 18.
As another reviewer says, this is a modern day parable. Your heart will ache for these girls and what they are missing. I felt anger and resentment towards these people who took care of them. Terri Blackstock is an excellent writer and you will find yourself very engrossed in this book within the first couple chapters. You might want to make sure you have plenty of time to read before starting this book, because it's very hard to put down!
Of course I won't give you any hints about how it ends - you'll have to read the book yourself!
This book is in a series of unrelated novels by different authors under the umbrella of "Women of Faith Fiction". I realized what makes these books special after I had finished the book and then came across a good-sized section of discussion questions! These would be probably best-used in a group setting, but of course can be used as individuals as well. The questions relate the plot of the book to concepts from the Bible. There are passages to look up and insightful questions to discuss. I highly recommend doing these questions, with a group or by yourself.
This book would make a perfect choice for a Book Discussion group! And it isn't preachy, so the group wouldn't have to be made of solely of Christians.
Please check out my other reviews of Christian books and music!
on July 16, 2003
This book was wonderful. After I started reading it I could not put it down. It was 5:00 in the morning and I still could not stop reading it. I took my son to school then came back home and finished the book. I missed a night of sleep because I could not stop reading it. I recommend this book and any other book she had written.
on September 7, 2002
I read this "can't put it down" book in one evening. It was fast paced and depicted the salvation story so clearly that I have been impacted with the need to supply this book to anyone who is having a struggle understanding Christ's redemptive, unconditional love for them. This is a great tool!!
I was struck with how clearly the author was able to show the freedom we have to make choices in our lives and how we are totally responsible for making those choices. The twins, who were so much a part of each others lives, each chose a different road to travel, yet they had the same beginning, the same separation anxieties and the same opportunities.
The characters were alive and real to me and I walked through their lives with them, every step of the way.I cried with them and for them, just as Christ does with us. This book made it so clear that Christ's love and mercy is available to everyone but we are free to choose or reject it. I also really liked the stepmother who steadfastly honored her promises day after day, year after year. A true lesson in perseverance and integrity.
I recommend passing this book on to everybody you know, Christian or non-Christian. An excellent read!!!!
on May 17, 2009
I borrowed this book from my sister to read while my father was having open heart surgery. I knew I would like it, and I was not disappointed. It took me all of about 8 hours to finish it. Once I started, I could not put it down. ( I have that problem with most books). It was very easy to follow, and the story was wonderful. I especially loved how the story made the salvation story so easy to understand. It clearly laid out for the reader the plan of salvation, in the form of a parable. I'm from Mississippi, and am thrilled to be reading stories of this quality and moral character from a Mississippi author. I'll certainly read more books by Terry Blackstock.
on August 12, 2007
I must admit that when I first started this book, I thought it was going to be one of those overly-simplified, pit-pat books that lack any real depth. The read seemed to be too quick, too simple. I was wrong. By the second chapter, I was deeply invested in the outcome, and as I read on, I saw a wonderful picture of God's grace played out before my very eyes. By the final pages of the book, I was in tears. I'm so thankful that I chose Lizzie's path in my own life, that I accepted my inheritance gladly. But I'm also thankful that, like Amanda, God continues to offer his grace and forgiveness, and that the Karas of the world are always welcome home.
on August 9, 2013
This story was not very believable. Its unlikely Amanda did not have private detectives watching the girls and reporting their abuse. Her wealth would have enabled her to do that and do something about it. The grandparents were extremely blatant in their abuse.
on March 20, 2016
One part parable, one part family inheritance saga, Covenant Child take the reader on a journey following one families tragedy which turns into a living nightmare for two twins whose parents are killed in a freak air crash. Left heirs to a massive fortune - money is soon the very reason that relatives who should be helping the girls in their hour of greatest need, rather start circling like sharks after what they can get for themselves.

This is a gripping story which was a real departure from other titles I have read of Terri Blackstock. This was more contemporary rather than suspense but equally entertaining and riveting. A clever retelling of the prodigal child and also each and everyone one of our own journey’s in life.