5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day parable
Published on August 23, 2002 by S. Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars covenant child
This story was not very believable. Its unlikely Amanda did not have private detectives watching the girls and reporting their abuse. Her wealth would have enabled her to do that and do something about it. The grandparents were extremely blatant in their abuse.
Published 13 months ago by Patricia Wellman

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day parable, August 23, 2002
I was not certain what to expect when I purchased this book recently, having read several of Terri Blackstock's Christian Fiction romance novels. I was not prepared for the emotions this book evoked. Although saddened by the turn of events that brought the twins into a life of poverty, I was spellbound by the descriptions of the life that was being offered to them. It was truly a modern day parable about the Kingdom of God and His amazing love. It warmed my heart to see His love being so accurately displayed in the character of Amanda and the choices that we as humans can and do make were brought to life in the characters of Kara and Lizzie.
I sometimes feel that Christian fiction is not as well written or edited as secular fiction; however this is a truly amazing piece of literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Billionaire Babies grow up like paupers, July 21, 2002
Bonnie McKinzie (Garden Grove, CA USA) - See all my reviews
When three year old twins lose their mother and then their father, the result is all about money. The love of Amanda is so great but her frustrations are so many. Legal entanglements prevent her from fulfilling her promise to her husband. Evil grandparents neglect and abuse the twins while living off their money. Even though the twins suffer the same fate, they part ways over a very difficult decision. It costs both of them dearly.
Written to take place in the south, about people and places which literally come alive, Blackstock did a great job of keeping the reader totally spellbound until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book -- a modern-day parable, December 4, 2003
I loved this book for its truths that aren't preachy or couched in a cloak of self-righteousness. This book was an incredible parable for the way that God is ready to welcome us back if and when we finally get our act together. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read in a long time!, October 2, 2002
Soozie4Him (Chicago suburbs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First of all, I have to tell you that I'm really don't read much fiction at all. My preference in books is Christian non-fiction, mainly Christian Living books, devotionals, books on prayer, and the like.
But I did pick this book up and I had a very hard time putting it down. This is the story of twin girls whose father dies and they find themselves going from a very nice well-provided-for life to being treated horribly and not even having basic needs (clean clothes, decent food, and a clean bed to sleep in) met! The money-hungry grandparents get custody of the girls early in the story and most of the book takes place during those 15 years between the time the girls were 3 and when they turn 18.
As another reviewer says, this is a modern day parable. Your heart will ache for these girls and what they are missing. I felt anger and resentment towards these people who took care of them. Terri Blackstock is an excellent writer and you will find yourself very engrossed in this book within the first couple chapters. You might want to make sure you have plenty of time to read before starting this book, because it's very hard to put down!
Of course I won't give you any hints about how it ends - you'll have to read the book yourself!
This book is in a series of unrelated novels by different authors under the umbrella of "Women of Faith Fiction". I realized what makes these books special after I had finished the book and then came across a good-sized section of discussion questions! These would be probably best-used in a group setting, but of course can be used as individuals as well. The questions relate the plot of the book to concepts from the Bible. There are passages to look up and insightful questions to discuss. I highly recommend doing these questions, with a group or by yourself.
This book would make a perfect choice for a Book Discussion group! And it isn't preachy, so the group wouldn't have to be made of solely of Christians.
Please check out my other reviews of Christian books and music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, July 16, 2003
"bauner95" (Zanesville, OH) - See all my reviews
This book was wonderful. After I started reading it I could not put it down. It was 5:00 in the morning and I still could not stop reading it. I took my son to school then came back home and finished the book. I missed a night of sleep because I could not stop reading it. I recommend this book and any other book she had written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, May 17, 2009
I borrowed this book from my sister to read while my father was having open heart surgery. I knew I would like it, and I was not disappointed. It took me all of about 8 hours to finish it. Once I started, I could not put it down. ( I have that problem with most books). It was very easy to follow, and the story was wonderful. I especially loved how the story made the salvation story so easy to understand. It clearly laid out for the reader the plan of salvation, in the form of a parable. I'm from Mississippi, and am thrilled to be reading stories of this quality and moral character from a Mississippi author. I'll certainly read more books by Terry Blackstock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covenant Child, September 7, 2002
Maureen Johnson (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this "can't put it down" book in one evening. It was fast paced and depicted the salvation story so clearly that I have been impacted with the need to supply this book to anyone who is having a struggle understanding Christ's redemptive, unconditional love for them. This is a great tool!!
I was struck with how clearly the author was able to show the freedom we have to make choices in our lives and how we are totally responsible for making those choices. The twins, who were so much a part of each others lives, each chose a different road to travel, yet they had the same beginning, the same separation anxieties and the same opportunities.
The characters were alive and real to me and I walked through their lives with them, every step of the way.I cried with them and for them, just as Christ does with us. This book made it so clear that Christ's love and mercy is available to everyone but we are free to choose or reject it. I also really liked the stepmother who steadfastly honored her promises day after day, year after year. A true lesson in perseverance and integrity.
I recommend passing this book on to everybody you know, Christian or non-Christian. An excellent read!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Read, August 12, 2007
Lisa J. (Bridge City, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I must admit that when I first started this book, I thought it was going to be one of those overly-simplified, pit-pat books that lack any real depth. The read seemed to be too quick, too simple. I was wrong. By the second chapter, I was deeply invested in the outcome, and as I read on, I saw a wonderful picture of God's grace played out before my very eyes. By the final pages of the book, I was in tears. I'm so thankful that I chose Lizzie's path in my own life, that I accepted my inheritance gladly. But I'm also thankful that, like Amanda, God continues to offer his grace and forgiveness, and that the Karas of the world are always welcome home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, September 27, 2002
After reading my very first Terri Blackstock book I was hooked.
"Covenant Child" added to my captivation with this author. Blackstock has the gift of quickly involving you in her plots and holding you spellbound to the very last page. "Covenant Child" portrays the difficulty of maintaining hope in a life gone astray. The twins are so alike and yet different enough to maintain a sense of reality to the narrative. The author's authentic tale of the greed money creates in individuals and her portrayal of the selfless love of one woman makes for a riviting read. Buy a Blackstock novel and you will quickly become her next fan.
Beverly J Scott author of Righteous Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book, October 8, 2005
I can't believe that someone would call this book shallow. I read A LOT of Christian fiction books, and this one was the best ever. I shed a few tears in Karen Kingsbury's Tuesday Morning books, but I SOBBED for this book. It was SO great! I started reading it one night at 10:00 and didn't stop until I was done. You can't put it down until you find out what will happen to those poor girls. If you don't like this book, you have no heart!!

Covenant Child
Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock (Paperback - May 8, 2012)
$15.99 $13.79