4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome real life heroes and an engrossing and tense mystery
Cover Me by Catherine Mann
Romantic Suspense -July 1st, 2011
4 stars

Cover Me was a surprising suspense novel. It is set in the cold, barren wastelands of Alaska where the two main characters must fight for survival with just their wits and their well honed skills.

Real life hero, Wade Rocha is part of an elite team of Pararescuemen who go...
Published on June 28, 2011 by Bookaholics Reviewer

STORY BRIEF:
Published on July 7, 2011 by Jane

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome real life heroes and an engrossing and tense mystery, June 28, 2011
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cover Me (Elite Force: That Others May Live) (Mass Market Paperback)
Cover Me by Catherine Mann
Romantic Suspense -July 1st, 2011
4 stars

Real life hero, Wade Rocha is part of an elite team of Pararescuemen who go on death defying missions to save people from terrible conditions. His latest assignment is to save a group of climbers in the frigid Aleutian Islands. There he and his team find a straggler and Wade parachutes down. His mission is to find her and help her survive the deadly cold weather until help can safely rescue them both. But Wade is in for a big surprise when the woman he is supposed to save doesn't want to be saved at all! And she shows him some tricks that have him dazzled.

Sunny Foster and her dog Chewie are stranded. Caught in a blizzard until she can reach her `off the grid' town. She and the local deputy have escorted two of their town members, Ted and Madison, to a new life away from their secret community. Sunny lives in an isolated town that wants nothing to do with the outside world, let alone the government. Although Sunny finds her `hunky' rescuer attractive she knows she must loose him and keep the knowledge of her town safe from the rest of the world. But Wade is tenacious. When they are both shot at and then stumble upon the dead bodies of Ted and Madison, Sunny finds that she may need some extra help after all. Because she suspects someone in her small community may be the murderer...

This story was very original. I liked how the author gave the feeling of living in a hostile environment and how the two main characters were very savvy at surviving. Both seemed very well matched. But since Sunny has been living in an isolated town cut off from much of the rest of the world, she was a little naïve and paranoid. On the other hand, I really enjoyed Wade's character. For women who love living heroes like firemen. I have to tell you, Pararescuemen are even better! He and his team of buddies are funny, hot and save the day. And not even break out into a real sweat! I hope the author writes about the rest of the team members.

As for the story, while not overly complex, I also found the mystery behind the murders involving. The villain was certainly twisted and clever. The only thing I found a bit strange was Sunny's brother. I was still confused about his involvement in the story and felt his character was a bit tacked on. There is also another side love story including Sunny's seemingly vulnerable, deaf sister which was very entertaining.

Awesome real life heroes and an engrossing and tense mystery. Plus two romances round out a very suspenseful read.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, June 28, 2011
Ever have one of those books you just couldn't put down, even when you had to go to sleep because you had work the next morning? Cover Me, by Catherine Mann, is one of those books. I couldn't put it down if I wanted to, and trust me, I didn't want to.

I've loved Catherine Mann's books since her Ops series. This book measures right up there with those. The writing flows and kept my attention. Heck, I wasn't even sure what time it was when I finally did close the book. The scenes are vivid and the characters unforgettable. I don't know a whole lot about paratroopers and pararescue techs but in the case of this book, it wasn't a huge deal. It was really like I was there on the Aleutian Islands, tromping through the snow with Brick and Sunny.

Let's talk about the characters. Sunny is more than a little hard-headed, but she's realistic. I liked that she wasn't about to take guff from Brick. Plus the chemistry is spot on. Who can honestly knock a guy who wants nothing more than to rescue you? Not me.

Then there's Brick. He's just as stubborn, but again, it's believable. I rooted for him because I wanted to see him melt a little. And I liked how they melted together. Phew.

There's a ton of plot twists and things I didn't see coming in this book. Bodies in the snow? Check. Scorching snuggle time between the hero and heroine for the sake of keeping warm? Check. A baddie that's all bad and it's so much fun? You guessed it. Check.

If you want a book that's got a little mystery, a little action, lots of snow, and lots of heat, then you need to snag a copy of Cover Me. It's a great read.

Originally posted at The Long and Short of It Romance Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 ½ stars. It has some good ingredients for romantic suspense. It was ok but I wasn't wowed., July 7, 2011
Jane (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
STORY BRIEF:
In the Aleutian Islands (in Alaska near Russia) is a village of people living "off the grid" (no credit cards, no utilities, no tax returns). They grow their own food in hot houses. The sun and volcanic heat provide energy. When Sunny was a teenager her family moved there because her brother Phoenix went AWOL from the military, and they wanted to keep him out of jail. She has a younger sister Misty. Sunny is now 27. She runs an exercise club, does survival training, and performs guide services. Occasionally village members leave. Anyone who leaves is asked not to return to protect the secrecy of the village. Ted and Madison left. Sunny was their guide taking them through the mountain pass. As she was returning, a blizzard temporarily stranded her.

Wade is a pararescueman with the U.S. Air Force. His team rescued some hikers who were stranded near Sunny. They noticed Sunny and sent Wade to stay with her until the weather calmed enough to allow a pickup. Sunny doesn't need him or want him there. She won't tell him about her village. She tries to sneak away from him and falls into a ravine. He follows her and they discover the dead bodies of Ted and Madison. Then someone starts shooting at them but runs off when the rescue helicopter arrives. Sunny is forced to go with Wade to the authorities where an investigation discovers more dead bodies in the ravine.

The main bad guy is taking money from the Russian mob. He brings in terrorists and weapons and has them live in the village temporarily until moving on into other parts of the U.S.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
This was pretty good for romantic suspense. I had no major problems with it. Sunny and Wade are drawn to each other but the odds are against a relationship. She needs to return to her village which must to be kept secret from him and the authorities. He will be sent on a four-month mission to Afghanistan. Knowing they couldn't be together was the main conflict between them for much of the book. During the bad-guy-crisis Sunny and Wade have a fight. It didn't fit. It felt unnecessary. I suspect some editor or other person advised the author to include a fight, so she added it after the fact. Oh well. On balance, if you're looking for romantic suspense and have nothing else to read, go ahead and try it.

I had a logic problem but it wasn't major. Someone warns the military that some bad guys are going to blow up a nuclear power plant. The military goes there to catch the bad guys and find the bombs. Why did they take three civilians with them? I saw no reason. Of course something bad happens to one of those civilians.

I was disappointed that the author never finished the story about Sunny's brother Phoenix. There were a couple of bad guys living in the village. I wanted to know more details about those guys. I also wanted to know more about the traveling terrorists who would come into the village for a while and then leave. How did they interact with the locals? Why would the local accept these "foreign strangers" and trust them to keep their secrets.

DATA:
Story length: 322 pages. Swearing language: moderate. Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: 5. Approximate number of sex scene pages: 16. Setting: current day Alaska. Copyright: 2011. Genre: romantic suspense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover Me, August 21, 2011
This book is so bad on so many levels, I hardly know where to start. Obviously the author has never been to Alaska. She has the weather wrong, the geography incorrect, and many, many other things wrong. There are no maple trees in Alaska, thus no maple beams in the houses. The Alaska Indians do not weave beautiful woolen blankets--there are no sheep, for heaven's sake! It cannot be cold enough to freeze a person to death AND be slushy at the same time. There are no trees on the Aleutian Islands. It just goes on and on. Also, there are grammatical errors galore. The errors were so distracting I never could get into the story. Skip this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars just not quite there, September 26, 2011
I had a very hard time with "Cover Me"--honestly I couldn't finish it. I found it completely unbelieveable and really did not care about the characters. I try to finish everything I buy but I found Catherine Mann's effort to be shallow and contrived. The foreshadowing drove me crazy --- I just think there are alot of other romantic suspense novels out there that give the reader a lot more with just as far out plot lines. Maybe it got better but when I found myself constantly checking to see how much I had left I stopped reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not good either!, November 6, 2011
This was the first book that I read from Catherine Mann & I must say that it'll probably be my first and last. To me, this book was a mediocre "OK" read. I couldn't get myself to get involved with the story because the characters were not well developed and were both one dimensional if not cardboard characters. There were not great chemistry between the hero & heroine. When I read a romantic suspense, I enjoy reading about great sizzling chemistry and passion between the hero & heroine. To me, this wasn't demonstrated between the two protagonists, Sunny and Wade. However, the plot and storyline were unique and had potential, but I felt that it fell short. Furthermore, the story dragged on for way too long and I had to push myself to finish it. Overall, this book was not bad, but it wasn't good either. Some authors that excel in romantic suspense are Pamela Clare, Roxanne St. Claire, Cindy Gerard, & Christy Reece, all of who I enjoy reading. As for Catherine Mann's Cover Me, it was a good effort, but it just didn't cut it for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Do It For Me..., November 30, 2011
Carroll (Cleveland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
I won't explain the book yet again. I will just say that this is the first book I read by this author and I didn't really enjoy it. It was so far-fetched and totally unrealistic. I can let my mind go, but to this extent? The characters were boring, the romance boring, the story line boring. There was nothing really exciting about a smart mouthed girl and the poor PJ who has the unfortunate task of rescuing her. I'm not sure about purchasing other books by this author now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird story, October 17, 2011
I guess this book just wasn't my thing. I felt the story to be really far-fetched, but more than that, I just never related to either one of the characters. They both just seemed a little weird for some reason. Anyway, I read the whole thing, but I will not be re-reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Military Romantic Suspense-A MUST READ, May 26, 2012
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book. I love this type of military romantic suspense. I would compare the general subject matter to Suzanne Brockmann, but Mann has her own distinct voice that I fell in love with. So many things that were great about this book. The hero, pararescueman Wade "Brick", is everything you want in an hero. Besides being incredibly hot, he is intelligent and kind. He has his own emotional wounds that need healing. I liked that when we were in his point of view, it read like a man (not everyone can pull that off). Sunny is a strong heroine (my favorite kind). She's independent and fearless and hiding her own dark secrets. They had a believable connection and the right amount of romance versus suspense for my tastes. The setting in this book (the Aleutian Islands) was original and the details were done so well you felt like you were there. The pacing was excellent, and there were so many cliff hangers you wanted to keep turning the page. I loved the Misty (Sunny's sister) sub plot. There was just enough of it to be developed without detracting. And as if all of that didn't sell me, Chewie the dog stole the show on numerous occasions. I couldn't ask for anything more from a romantic suspense. I bought the second book in the series when I was only half way done with this one. I HIGHLY recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Author Who Knows How To Right a Mystery and Suspense, March 24, 2012
Some authors will leave no mystery: they will tell you who the bad guys are, where their staying and what their evil plans are. There are some who will leave everything a mystery: bodies are turning up everywhere, banks are being robbed every week, schools are being blown up and you have no clue if it's the crazy guy down the road, the feed store owner or even the deputy or what/who his next target is. Then you have Catherine Mann: she tells you who's giving the orders but doesn't tell you who's following them, she'll tell you the terrorist is close but makes you wonder how close is 'close.' I absolutely loved it. You never know whats going to happen next which makes it even harder to put the book down. Although I loved the main characters, pararescueman Wade Rocha and Sunny Foster, once Sunny's sister, Misty, came into the picture I wanted to learn more about her. A great book to read.

Cover Me (Elite Force: That Others May Live)
Cover Me (Elite Force: That Others May Live) by Catherine Mann (Mass Market Paperback - July 5, 2011)
$7.99