Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

100%

on November 16, 2000
With perfect rhyme and rhythm Verla Ray has created a gem of a book to be enjoyed for generations to come. I love it, my kids ask for it almost everynight, and their grandparents are buying it for all their other grandkids for christmas. We are so impressed with this book which teaches about a mostly ignored subject(pinoneering) - and the kids enjoy the ride so much they don't even realise they're learning! I could not recommend this any higher! I hope very school has a copy! A must-read for every American child!
on November 5, 2000
Verla Kay has done it again! She's created a brilliant rhyming picture book that works great in the classroom and is also a delightful choice for a bedtime story. COVERED WAGONS, BUMPY TRAILS is the vivid, touching, enjoyable story of a pioneer family moving West. Readers will fall in love with "Mother, Father and Baby John" as they journey in search of a new home. Their struggles and triumphs come alive in sparse "cryptic rhyme" verse, such as: "Plunging, slipping, Stuck in snow. Frozen wheels, "Oxen, WHOA!" And the art by S. D. Schindler is fabulous with colorful kid-appeal. This is a wonderful book that you won't want to miss! When you reach the final page, you'll smile at the absolute PERFECT ending.
on April 27, 2008
I first read this book to my baby daughter years ago and she loved the rhythm of the words. Now that she's reading, I've rediscovered this gem and it's still as fresh and fun as it was then. A wonderful and unique way to introduce children to history and a life so unlike their own.
on May 27, 2014
My 3 year-old just loves this book. Borrowed first from the library. She liked it so much we ordered it for her birthday!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse