Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Covert Warriors (A Presidential Agent Novel Book 7)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 31, 2011
I have read all of the books in the presidential agent series and this is by far not even close to the first several books. As other readers have indicated, the series took a downturn with book 6 and this book #7 was the worst book I have read. Three quarters of the book was referencing and reliving the previous 6. I thought this was about covert warriors. Where was the action? Plot??? People showed up and then disappear. A disappointment and I do not think I will purchase anymore in the series.
on December 30, 2011
This has got to me the "let down" of my Christmas season. I am an avid fan of the author and was excited to know that a new book of his (even if written by William) was going to be out around Christmas time (all of those hours I would have to sit and enjoy this book). Wow, I kept picking it up giving it chance after chance to pull everything together so that I could have a moment of "ahhhh, now I see where it was going" - but to my surprise and dismay, my only "ahhhhh" moment came when I finished the book "Ahhhhhh, finally done with that disaster".

I'm with the others, past books were great. This one, skip it and you will not be disappointed or left behind in the series.
on December 30, 2011
I've read every WEB Griffin book and loved most of them. The Presidential Agent Series has never been my favorite but this book has reached a new low. I forced myself to get through about 100 pages. Rarely do I leave a book unfinished, but I just could not continue reading this. Many characters from preceding books were in and out with no apparent reason, except maybe to keep them alive for future novels. It seems this book somehow skipped the editing process.

I long for the days of The Brotherood of War and The Corps series.
on February 29, 2012
I've read every series W.E.B. Griffin has written whether it be on his own or w/ his son. The Brotherhood of War is my favorite series of all time and not just my favorite W.E.B. Griffin series.

The Presidential Agent series started out fairly well but has gone rapidly downhill with each new book starting after book two. The continual rehashing of the same ole, same ole has gotten to the point that I don't see me wasting my money on the next book, if indeed the publisher decides to bother w/ another book in this series. Not only does this book reuse similar banter from this series, it steals from the other Griffin series' as well.

This book is beyond predictable, uses the same discussions between characters that we've read in the past several books, using the same sayings and catch phrases we've read time and again and possibly worst of all, has characters talk about military stuff but not the way real military guys talk. I am a retired UH60 driver and I NEVER talked to my guys by saying things like, "we'll send the UH60Fs". We never referred to them as UH60Fs, UH60As, UH60Ls, UH60Ks or whatever, it was always 'Hawks or 60s or Limas, Mikes, Kilos or whatever but never the whole thing. Nobody uses the full nomenclature of anything whether it's aircraft, vehicles or weapons and WEB Griffin and his boy should know that if they're so tight w/ the fellas they're writing about. I got that at some point you need to spell stuff out but not in books that are mostly read by military guys anyway. Griffin has a good way of introducing a weapon or a piece of equipment the first time by giving the whole nomenclature and all its attributes but the first time should be the only time. From that point forward talk like Army guys talk not like some clown who doesn't know anything about anything.

My recommendation to the Griffins is to show their next book to some of the fellas and then rewrite it when they say we don't talk like that. My recommendation to anyone who reads this review is don't waste dime one on this book. If you must, go to the library and check it out for free. I got cheated and I got change comin', learn from my mistake.
on January 5, 2012
Like all of his previous books I've read (which is most of them, and all of this series) I was fully captivated by the story and engulfed in the plot, right up to the almost end. The final chapter sums up what should have been taken another 6 or 8 chapters, and I could not help but feel that the book was taking too long, and instead of delaying the release, the publisher forced WEB and son to finish the entire book (aka write that final chapter) in an afternoon.

The ending was such a pitiful letdown I have changed my mind to NOT preorder the next book in the Men at War series (The Spymasters) as I have the past 4-5 books he has released, and instead wait to read the review of that after it comes out. If for some reason it has this type of rushed, half assed approach this did, I will refuse to purchase it, or any other new books WEB and son puts out going forward.
on February 1, 2012
I am a steadfast fan and have read (listened to) dozens of WEB Griffin's books, essentially all that are available as audio books. So I really looked forward to this new one and I preordered it to minimize my waiting time. What a disappointment.

This one is broken, like a new car that won't run. I would have given zero stars if that were possible. Fully 20 percent of the book/story is missing, the last 20 percent. It's hard to account for, but here's a possibility.

Mr Butterworth (WEB Griffin's real name) or his publisher needed some cash flow, but he missed his 'ready-for-Christmas' deadline. So he just stopped his story telling and wrote, figuratively, that everybody lived happily ever after.

This is worse than bad business, this is fraudulent.

Here's what you need to do. Pay attention, Mr Butterworth. You MUST sit down and write the full and satisfying ending to this book and publish it somehow, online would do, with a specified insert point. You have nuked your fan base and radiation sickness is hard to cure.

Bill Wood
Waynesville, NC
on June 12, 2012
This book stunk. Almost 10% of the book was recap from previous books. Does Butterworth not have anything to add and just needs to pull from old books to bilk Griffin's audience for more money? Atrocious writing, story and plot development and a page or 2 conclusion make for a poor poor book and the worst one I have ever read that had W. E. B. Griffin on the cover.

I will not be wasting anymore money on him or Butterworth again.
on May 21, 2012
I have been a general fan of the series and was surprised that I'd missed the premier of a new book in the series. I usually see them on book racks in the airport when I travel and that keys me into its release. I eagerly acquired this one as soon as I saw it on Amazon and consumed it in just under 24 hours. When I reached the end of the book I was greatly surprised. I reached "the end" and looked down at the progress bar hoping to see that I was only 2/3's of the way through the book. There was such a build-up of the plot that the end left you wondering where the rest of the book went. Others have mentioned the plot references that were just abandoned and I have to agree completely. This is only 1/2 to 2/3 of the book that it should be. I rarely buy Penguin published works due to their excessive pricing, but I did it for certain series that I really enjoyed reading. That's done with now that they've allow such an inferior product to be published..
on July 2, 2012
I am/was a big fan of the Presidential series. Somewhere along the way, W.E.B. Griffin has forgotten how to write or with the addition of his son, there is just too much thought put into his books. The books are prosy to the point of being ridiculous. You could take this book and turn it into a short story and it would be much more enjoyable. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one. With luck, the author will retire from writing before an innocent reader is bored to death.
on February 13, 2012
Like other reviewers, I have probably read everything Mr. Griffin has written under that pen name, and some of the series several times. To say that this book was a disappointment is putting it mildly. The absence of a plot, character development or any sort of action was disappointing to say the least. It makes me wonder why the book was written or what made them think it was finished when they turned the manuscript over to their publisher. Something tells me they had the outline of a plot but just ran out of time to actually execute.

For years I have looked forward to the latest W.E.B. Griffin release around Christmas, but after this book, not so much anymore.