Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on November 17, 2011
Lizelle Hanson is a carnie, as she calls herself. She traveled and worked as a fortune teller and belly dancer for most of her life. But what she always wanted was roots; somewhere to call home, a house that has a foundation and not wheels. In fact, that is a Christmas wish that she has; she wants a house and a cowboy. The first part of her wish comes true when her uncle moves out of his house to take care of his father and is going to leave it to her if she still wants to live there after she tries it out for a few months. Liz is ecstatic. She arrives at the house in Texas to find her uncle's neighbor, Raylen O'Donnell, there. He is the very cowboy that she had a crush on when she used to visit her uncle, and she has been fantasizing about him for years. Could this be the second half of her wish coming true?

My Thoughts:
This is the first book that I haven't finished since I started reviewing. I definitely gave it a chance though; I read to page 225. Besides just not being interesting, there were a lot of things that bothered me about this book.

First, the shifting of the characters points of view. There was constant shifting with no clear breaks. It gets very confusing, especially if the shift happens within a single paragraph, which it did!

Second, the repeating of thoughts. Liz would think a thought, and then say the thought out loud to someone else. Then she would repeat it later to another character. I get how perhaps the author is trying to show how the third character found out about what she was thinking, but this isn't the way to do it.

Third, Liz's character herself. She would ramble a lot, and it just wasn't attractive to me. Also, everything was handed to her on a silver platter. Where's the challenge? She wants a house, gets it from her uncle. Wants a job, gets one handed to her right when she moves to town. Wants to decorate her house like the Griswold's, the neighbors pitch right in to help. It was annoying. I feel like she acted very juvenile too. Here's Liz talking to Raylen about what kind of Christmas tree she wants.

"I want a real one but Momma reminded me that I'm allergic to cedar and pine trees. Do you think they'll have one that doesn't look perfect? I want it to look real even if it's not." (p. 181)

I guess I just feel like a grown woman should know what she was allergic to. It wasn't just that though, it was all things like I listed above.

I can't imagine the work it takes a write a book, I really can't. But Darn Good Cowboy Christmas was not worth the read.
on October 15, 2011
A story with a cowboy always hits the target, but add a little Christmas flair and a saucy heroine and you have a winner.

I know when I open a book by Ms. Brown, I'm in for a great time with characters I'll never forget. This book is hot, humorous and a great time. I love a book where there's a little bit of misunderstanding and a lot of longing. Ms. Brown delivers.

Saying Raylen is hot is an understatement. He's smoking hot. He's got Liz's best interests at heart--oh and he really, really wants her. Did I mention that? Yeah, he does. Can I just mention the scene where he brushes her hair was Ms. Brown describes it quickly, but being one who likes having her hair brushed by her DH, I could literally feel the same things Liz felt and it gave me shivers.

Liz is...original. She grew up in a family who participated in a traveling carnival. To say she's happy to have a house without wheels is putting it mildly. I loved her independent streak. I could relate to her because I could feel how much she wanted to do things her way and how much she struggled each time she was around Raylen. I mean, how could she not fall for the hottie in the cowboy boots?

I loved the cast of secondary characters and can't wait to read their stories. The ending was fantastic and had me sighing and wishing it was Christmas (instead of wet and dreary like it is right now).

Grab a copy of Darn Good Cowboy Christmas and fall headlong into the Christmas spirit!

Originally posted at the Long and Short of It Romance Reviews
on November 16, 2011
DARN GOOD COWBOY CHRISTMAS by Carolyn Brown is an exciting,sassy contemporary romance set in present day Texas. It is book #3 in the "Spikes & Spurs" series,but can be read as a stand alone. See "Love Drunk Cowboy" and "Red's Hot Cowboy". "Darn Good Cowboy Christmas" has everything a contmpory romance reader could want. It has romance, witty dialogue,love,holiday magic, sexy cowboy,sweet sensuality,dark-haired,sexy heroine,traveling carnival, passion,and slow kisses under the mistletoe.It is the story of Lizelle Hanson, raised in a traveling carnival,finding a home and a sexy cowboy next door. And Raylen O'Donnell,a sexy,smokin' hot cowboy next door. This author has done it again with her southern voice in a contemporary romance full of smokin' hot cowboys and sassy,women. Another must read from author,Carolyn Brown. "Darn Good Cowboy Christmas" will appeal to any and all contemporary,western,cowboy,main stream,and romance readers.A Christmas read that will have you turning pages as you watch Raylen and Lizelle have a Darn good Christmas holiday with a few ups and downs. Received for review from the publisher. Details can be found at Sourcebooks Casablanca and My Book Addiction Reviews.
on October 24, 2011
I realy enjoyed this story. I had read the previous one in the series and wasn't disappointed with this one. The story had another within it that made it different than the usual romance formula. The characters we very likable and down to earth. I can't wait for the others in the series to come out. I even visited her web site to find other books of hers to read.
on November 29, 2011
There is one thing I have come to connect with Brown's books, and that is that they always makes me smile. I usually sit there with a grin on my face, because they are sweet and fun.

This book is part of a series, but it can be read as a standalone. You will feel at home at once. The books are inviting and the town is a place I would like to visit, and the people there, I would love to have them as friends.

In this one we have Liz, a former carnie, who wants to settle down and get some roots, and then we have the hot cowboy next door, Rayleen. They met before long ago, and that crush never left either of them. It is just destined. They know it when they meet, and the passion is sizzling. They are just perfect together. She grows roots, and he finds love.

And as always what I like about her books are the sayings, the book is filled with them and they make me smile. I do feel they are one of the best things with this book. Let's see if I can brave one, their love is hotter than a hellcat on a Sunday (ok that makes no sense, but you get the general idea. And I am bad with these.) I love to read them though, and I sure want to talk like that, yes mam.

Like I said in the beginning, this book is sure to make you smile and crave your own cowboy. I can't wait for the the next one, I wonder who it will be about.
on October 8, 2011
This is the first Carolyn Brown book I've ready, and I logged on here to buy the next. I wouldn't change a thing about this book - I read a lot , and a lot of the stories tend to remind of others I've read - this had it's own story and I liked it.
I do wish it were easier to see the order to books were written in. I started the series out of order. It should read - Darn Good Cowboy Christmas (book # of #).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
I enjoyed this book it was simply a fun read with many laughs. Liz all her life has lived the life in the carnival never putting down roots. But, even though she loves the life of it she has grown tired of it and wants to set roots down. Her Uncle has a ranch that she can have if she decides after time that she will want to stay and set some roots down the ranch is a vast estate that comes with pets ! LOL. Liz has not been back to the ranch in quiet awhile but, wonders if Raylen O'Donnell may still be around as he was once the man who haunted her dreams.

Liz's one wish through all this is to have a Christmas tree and a cowboy for Christmas she loves Christmas and all the decorations.Once Liz arrives to the ranch who does she encounter in her new home but, the sexy cowboy Raylen.

The story was a throughly enjoyable read for me. I found Liz to be and fun loving person with a big caring heart and of those of her friends.I just loved the way she talked and went about stuff and her antic's were funny. She was a fortune teller and a belly dancer in the carnival which she was rather good at. She is also a very wealth women who goes to work everyday and does the one thing she loves.She will miss the carnival the friends and the life she has made but, she wants a different kind of life now. Raylen the sexy cowboy has always wanted Liz since they were kids and the sparks fly when they are around each other.These two lovebirds are given a second chance at love.

The chemistry between these two was endearing and so were there sexual encounters. There passionate love scenes are a little more subdued than this writer normally writes but, I found that to be okay because the book had tons of other things to keep you interested in.The other cast members were funny and engaging with all those other sexy cowboys and there flirting and hot looks. As all books have there is always one jealous flirtatious women trying to steal the man you want.Love is never easy but, one thing is for sure she will give it all shes got to get the one thing she wants most for Christmas and that's the Cowboy of her heart!

I just love this author and all her cowboy books they are all different but, connect the characters from one book to the next.The books are all full of life humor and romance all wrapped up into one! A recommended light enjoyable read.
on December 26, 2012
I enjoy reading different literary genres, and one of my latest discoveries is "Sexy Valentine's Day Treat" (A Weekend-Long Affair) by Sandra RossA Weekend-Long Affair: Sensually Romantic Adventure: it's full of erotica, and it's such a nice way to spend an evening, and it can also be read really quickly!
Then, there's another romance that captured my attention: the one that I'm now going to review.
"Darn Good Cowboy Christmas" by Carolyn Brown can really capture your heart and your feelings: the protagonist is the sexy cowboy, Raylen O'Donnell, who's a real "tombeur de femmes": he can have all the women he wants, but the truth is different: he just can't forget a beautiful woman, who's not a part of his life anymore and he doesn't know where she can be.
The female character, our heroine, is Lizelle Hanson, who's grown up in a traveling carnival, and now she looks for a real home.
Next door, there's Raylen.... and since they first meet, something happens..... and the Christmas magic begins!
Brown's writing style is really able to take us into the story, discovering the two protagonists' feelings and emotions.
Reader will wonder if Lizelle and Raylen are made to be together and if Raylen will finally stop being a playboy!!!
If you have these questions too, and are looking for a new adventure, get a copy of "Darn Good Cowboy Christmas", which is the ideal book to read in this magic season.
Or maybe you can ask your patner to read it with you, drinking a cup of eggnog or hot tea!
on January 15, 2015
I enjoyed this book mostly. I kinda got lost with some of it and I can't explain how. It just seemed to take forever to get to the point. I love Carolyn Brown but this wasn't one of her best books.
on January 5, 2012
Excellent as usual for Ms. Brown.Interesting characters and a good story line.Love always wins in the end.Each story has a different twist.