Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon October 2, 2007
Now, this is a little more like it. I admit, 2005's HILLBILLY DELUXE was a big hit for the guys, but I felt it was really just average work. As the Amazon reviewer pointed out above, Brooks & Dunn's albums do tend to have about an even mix of great songs and suprisingly mediocre ones. And while COWBOY TOWN isn't perfect, it certainly hits more than it misses.

The lead single, "Proud of the House We Built" is cut from the same cloth as 2003's excellent "Red Dirt Road." The guys' affection for the Rolling Stones (heard also in two songs on the RED DIRT ROAD disc) comes through not only in direct references ("Johnny Cash Junkie") but in the playful, honkytonk rhythm of cuts like the spirited "Put a Girl In It."

In fact, much of COWBOY TOWN pays tribute to seventies-era rock and country. Kix Brooks' "Drop in the Bucket" is such a textbook ZZ Top number, I was surprised to learn the song wasn't a cover of some lost tune from the fun-lovin' Texans. Brooks' ongoing Seger-esque observations of lost joys of youth inform every moment of "Ballad of Jerry Jeff Walker", which features a gargoyle-voiced cameo from its title character.

Inevitably, after nearly an album's worth of up-tempo numbers about cowboys, girls and booze, the duo succumbs to the now-obligatory Thoughtful Ballad or two. Good intentions aside, it's hard to defend such trite observations as "A preacher named King/Well, he had a dream" (from "American Dreamer") or most any line from the current events travelogue of the second single "God Must Be Busy." With ballads--and Brooks and Dunn should know this by now, after "Believe" spent like 30 weeks on the charts--less is more. The guys are at their best when they relax with a simple story song like "Cowgirls Don't Cry."

I think COWBOY TOWN works for both longtime fans and relative newcomers. For the former, the album is along the same lines as RED DIRT ROAD, with less filler. And to the latter, it might prove a welcome remedy from the same old redneck garbage being put out by Toby Keith, or any number of slick but empty new artists clogging up the radio.
on October 27, 2007
Brooks and Dunn continue to set the pace for other artists to follow! Cowboy Town turns the heat up a notch with a carefully orchestrated controlled explosion of power, punch and pazzazz! Great honky-tonk dance tunes; heart-felt tributes to some of the legendary great influences; rollicking fun songs that touch the heart of relationships; poigniant looks at advice from dad's to daughters; celebration of "girl power"; and a soul-stirring song that reaches below the surface of our wonderings and longings for a more ordered world in "God Must Be Busy!" Love the attention to detail in the musical mixing as well. Pure genius!

Mark H.
on December 9, 2015
I bought this in 2007 when it first came out. I always bought every Brooks and Dunn cd when it first came out. By this time they had been around for about 15 years and had a tride and true formula. This is a good cd. I think they are best at doing up tempo rockers like Put A Girl In It. But they are also very good at songs like Proud Of The House We Built which kind of reminds me of their earlier hit That's What It's All About. This has the original version of the Reba less Cowgirls Dont Cry which I think actually is a better version. And I dont really like their hit God Must Be Busy which closes out the cd. But the rest of the cd is good. With Johnny Cash Junkie and American Dreamer my favorite album cuts.
on November 15, 2007
Brooks and Dunn is undoubtedly the best country duo to ever walk the face of the earth...they rank among the best all-time in all genres. But even the best come up short of their expectations, and this album is just one of a few flaws in their historic careers ("Tight Rope" and "If You See Her" were still their most disappointing albums). This latest collection kicks off with 2 very strong tracks in "Cowboy Town" and the current hit "Proud of the House We Built" but I feel these songs come up short when you compare them with something like "Red Dirt Road". Other rockin' cuts like "Tequila" and "Drop in the Bucket" fail to pack strong punches too. "God Must Be Busy" is a soulful cut that I really like especially for an album-ender but, forgive me for comparing again, it still pales in comparison to "Believe" - now that was a classic. Overall, it's a good album, but it won't be one of my favorite releases. Still, it was worth the purchase.
on October 5, 2007
Kix Brooks was right, this album rocks, start to finish!

I strongly encourage readers to go buy the Wal-Mart version with the three bonus tracks. One of the bonus tracks, "Damn Right I'm Gonna Miss You," is reminiscient of B&D's "Red Dirt Road" and Pat Green's "Way Back Texas." The song is absolutely my favorite on the album and will make a great single if released. I was surprised to learn the track was originally cut by Terri Clark.

Cowboy Town has some great songs and some not-so-great songs and includes a whloe lot of drinking songs, but is a great listen overall. Enjoy!
on October 19, 2007
Maybe they should have called it 'Party Town'! Just too much fun. While this might not be their 'finest' work, it is so fun to listen to. I found myself driving and laughing out loud to 'Drop in the Bucket', 'Jerry Jeff Walker','Johnny Cash Junkie' and 'Tequila'. My sentimental favorite is 'Put a Girl In It'...just had a new granddaughter! I think 'Cowgirls Don't Cry' is the best cut on the album and a potential hit. Well done guys!
on November 14, 2007
This is one of the best albums Brooks and Dunn have made. Your foot just keeps tapping and tapping. Ronnie's voice is better than ever. Kix has some great songs for a change also. Highly recommend.
on November 26, 2007
I really really like this cd. Brooks & Dunn did it again with another great cd since Hillbilly Delux. Dont even think twice! Just buy the freaking cd man!
on November 1, 2007
I listened to the entire "Cowboy Town" album and LOVED every song on there!!! Brooks & Dunn are great because they always pick great music to sing!!!
on October 6, 2007
I am one of the biggest Brooks & Dunn fans around today. Most of their music, I can relate to personally. Lets face it Folks, they have had some pretty dismal cd's as of late. They kinda got away from their roots of Rockabilly, Honky Tonk,fast driving country music. Well guess what...THEY ARE BACK! This cd rocks! It's awesome and a relief to hear the Brooks & Dunn that won me over as a fan in the first place. Buy this cd, you'll love it, if that's also your cup of tea when it comes to their music. I really didn't even like the song "proud of the house" but it has grown on me and the rest of the cd totally makes up for it,in my opinion. Buy it, you'll be glad you did.