5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly the Best Option
Published on October 6, 2010 by Percy DeSaint

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Reflector Set for the Price
Published on November 30, 2009 by Michael D. Newcomer

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly the Best Option, October 6, 2010
This is the best option I found. After reading some reviews, I was concern, especially the one titled "Changed my review after setting up", but when the item arrived I couldn't be more happier. I agree with other reviews that instructions should be available, it took me a while to understand the setup of the stand. I don't know if there's something missing on the product for the person who wrote this review, but it doesn't need clamps, it already have a couple of small clamps with spring on the arm where you put the disc reflector. There's no need for more. I think you can see that on the product photo, but I'll make sure to add some close-ups.

The item arrived just in time for a session I had, and I put it to test. the light stand is really heavy, no cheap materials, you can trust on it. I was working on a bad weather and I didn't need any sand bag, although with a heavy wind you may need it. About the reflector, I used all the options! The weather was crazy, it went from rainy and cold to heavy sun, so I had to go to the different options, from reflecting light, warming it, to diffuse it and block it.

I honestly can say I am really happy with this product, really good materials, and the price is the best. the size is really good because it gives you a wider range.

CowboyStudio is a great store, I bought this reflector along with a lighting kit and remotes, and all the items are great. You can buy with confidence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Reflector Set for the Price, November 30, 2009
This review is from: CowboyStudio Complete Reflector System with 40-Inch x 60-Inch 5 in 1 Photo Studio Reflector Panel, Reflector Arm Holder and Light Stand (Electronics)
I originally bought this set because of the stand since I usually go on shoots without an assistant. I found out pretty quickly that it will not stand up on its own. The problem was easily solved by putting a brick or weight in the bottom of the stand, then it was ok, but it's still nice to have someone there to direct/hold it. The reflectors fold down and are about the size of a steering wheel, and it comes with a nice zippered case. At first it'll surprise you when unpacking them since it'll "pop" open to its full size when you take it out of its case. The reflectors are nice size and easily cover groups in portraits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reflector!, July 27, 2010
Photochic (Kansas City, Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
Apart from the gold being too yellow, this is a very good reflector. The silver side is very nice, as is the diffusion of the white inner panel. A good large size, but it's still portable. The thick support ring seems very sturdy, but is easily folded up. I've used it multiple times on location for bounce/diffusion of natural light. The stand is light weight and will definitely need a sandbag, if taking it outside, unless you want it to go sailing. There is no perfect substitute to having another person to hold/aim this outdoors. However, I like the fact it is very portable and my hot-shoe flash bracket fits on the end of the stand to give this dual function for location portrait shooting. I haven't used it as a gobo for blocking light, but I'm sure the black cover would do well, as it is completely opaque.

2.0 out of 5 stars Item not as pictured; grip head not satisfactory, August 26, 2012
This item can really be broken down into both its parts:

1) The Reflector Disc
2) The Stand / Grip Head

The first part of the item is great. The reflector disc is MASSIVE and worked wonders as a diffuser for hard light. It folds up into a compact disc for easy stowing.

It's the hardware that is far below satisfactory. The stand is fine, it's obviously not top quality, but it's very easy to use and works very well if used in conjunction with a few sandbags. I have no complaints with the stand, none more than are already touched upon by past reviews.

What is most disappointing is that the arm / grip gear is completely different than what you see pictured. The gear head, for one, is not dual as shown in the pictures. It's a single grip gear head and, as a result, can hardly support the weight of the arm and reflector. The weight of it all falls on one screw, and since the grip head is made out of plastic it appears it's only a matter of time before the plastic gives way and cracks.

The reflector arm is also black, not silver, but that hardly is noteworthy since the bulk of the item is hid behind a massive diffuser.

Eventually, I just couldn't use the arm because it wasn't stable. It was nearly impossible to adjust the angle of the reflector because the arm was giving way to the weight of the disc.

Amazon, as always, came out like a champ and refunded me half the order since there was no replacement in stock. I can't say if this was a bad batch that slipped by QC; however I did order TWO of these and BOTH had this problem.

Buyer Beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price for a reflector of this size, February 15, 2011
I found this product very useful and a good value. The reflector is a great value due to it's large size and different surface colors. It folds up easily and quickly. It's huge! I have never needed a larger one in all my location portrait shoots. I did find the stand a bit flimsy. In fact I rarely use it. I often times just prop the reflector in place or hand a friend hold it. If it's even just a little bit windy, the thing acts like a sail and no stand will hold it. I quickly re-assigned the stand to flash duty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Link to instruction video, September 10, 2013
I have not used the product yet but was really annoyed that there were no instructions and it was not really easy to find the right video to watch...took a long while to find it.
here is the link
[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars DOESNT WORK, October 24, 2013
Unfortunately, I am just a photographer, not an engineer. Putting this thing together, (with no instructions) was not just hard ,it was downright stupid. When I did get it together, it didn't even support the weight of the reflector. Maybe this is useful INDOORS ONLY....because this thing is useless in the slightest bit of wind. It will either fall or the deflector will spin. My other professional photographer friends usually had the same reply when I told them I had ordered this one, 'Oh no.' Now I know what they meant. The reflector is nice and huge, but I STILL have to have a human assistant hold it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Inside and outside photo shoots, December 4, 2012
This is easily compacted for travel to photo shoots outside. Works great with reflecting my flash. I can put it at an angle up or down. Definitely recommend this. Thanks again Cowboy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price had for two years now and it works, March 21, 2012
You can spend a lot of money on these at a camera store. These ones sold on amazon are cheap and work great. Also they look more professional than a DIY one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, Setup is Difficult, January 5, 2011
Branden (Northern California) - See all my reviews
If there's one theme among the Amazon reviews of this product, it's that this item's setup is a bitch. Well, it ain't a lie.

Setting up the tripod and arm isn't *that* complicated, but I'd bet your average user has set up a tripod before and has a general idea how they work. Figuring out how to change the surface on the reflector is pretty intuitive, although required some gumption since it's a real tight fit.

But figuring out how to get the reflector attached to the arm, now there's the trick. Maybe it's easy if you've done it before, but if you're like me, you're not a studio expert, and you'll find the lack of instructions and unintuitive design a little frustrating. It's true, you'll probably find yourself referring back to the product photo on this page when figuring out how to get the reflector mounted.

What you have to do is extend the arm so that the two black plastic clasps are the same width apart as the reflector. Then you slide one of the clasps open, and put the reflector's edge in it, so that it squeezes down. It won't squeeze tight enough to hold the reflector by itself, but when you get the second side clasped in, the reflector should then be held firmly enough to not fall out, or sway too much. From that point on, the rest of the positioning of the reflector can be done using the swivels on the tripod and arm.

I've used this setup now for a few photo shoots, and it does work well. It isn't the nicest tripod, but it doesn't have to be, and it is balanced enough to do this task. So you won't be repurposing the tripod, but it works. Overall, it's a quality item.