Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 12, 2015
I needed another small light stand and rolled the dice on the CowboyStudio D-9 Mini Light Stand. Straight out of the box, I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and thoughtfulness of the design. The detachable two-section aluminum tube is sturdy, well finished and features light stand tips on both ends. It can do double duty as a lighting boom or extension arm on a Super Clamp. The tips are reversible double-ended spigots with 1/4" and 3/8" screws for mounting cold shoes, ball heads, etc.

The base appears to be a clone of the Manfrotto 003 Backlight Base. It's strong, has considerable heft and is compact enough to squeeze into tight spaces most stands don't dare venture. The base can be used with accessories with a 5/8" light stand tip, e.g., Manfrotto Magic Arm, spigots, extension arms, etc. With the included tube mounted, it's stable enough to support a 300-LED video light or small CFL softbox. Obviously, the D-9 Mini is designed as a back light but also functions well as a fill light for sitting portraits and small products.

Setup and teardown is fast: tubes operate smoothly, locks hold securely and the base folds without a hitch. Plus, it's an easy carry and fits in a carry-on or daypack.

For just under a Jackson, the CowboyStudio D-9 Mini Light Stand is amazingly well made and a level above other Chinese stands I've owned. Plus, the base and tube can be separated and used independently with other accessories and support products. All in all an excellent stand and deal but, most importantly, has proven to be an extremely useful tool in my studio.
on December 24, 2012
This is a small, light weight and economical light stand especially for being used as a back light. This is a great product at a good price point especially for someone like me whose not earning his living out of photography.
The typical use-case would be to mount a flash on it pointing towards the background. As such, it gives the halo effect so common in portrait photography.
The stand open up to a maximum height of only 3 feet and the opening-closing mechanism could be smoother. The top has a standard tripod thread so a flash bracket (for instance the ePhoto C Bracket Deluxe Adjustable Hot Shoe Flash Mounting Bracket with Swivel Umbrella Mount for most Speedlights and Camera Flashes) can easily be attached. Similarly, if you have a wireless flash trigger (For instance the : CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (NPT-04+extra receiver)), the base has a standard screw which can attach on top of this stand. (Click on the links to read my reviews of the products mentioned)

Summary: The overall build quality looks good and at this price point it's definitely a steal.
on May 20, 2016
It is what it is... It's a cheap back light stand, and it looks/feels like it's worth what it cost. I would give it 4 stars but I don't expect this thing to last very long unfortunately. The hardware on the top of the stand has a lot of trouble accepting an umbrella mount. Maybe I shouldn't be using the umbrella mount (not using an umbrella.. just wanted the tilt feature on top of a cold shoe) to begin with, but it doesn't really fit straight on. I've tried three different umbrella mounts and get the same results, so I think it's safe to say it's the stand that's the problem.

Never the less, it's a short stand. It will do what I need it to do, but as I said, I don't expect it to last very long.
on June 30, 2013
I just ordered and recieved two of these units. One was the two section and one was the three section. The quality is good for the intended purpose, a small, portable light stand to light adjoining rooms while shooting Real Estate Photography. I mount a YN560II with a 6" white plastic diffuser, swivel flash adapter on each stand and can fire them with radio or optical triggers, placing them out of sight behind couches or in the adjoining darker room. They go low enought and high enough to work in most situations. The two section unit was a bit hard to open but all it takes is a screwdriver to loosen the lock nuts on the joints and it opens very easy. Not a problem. I recomend these units highly.
on September 10, 2015
Perfect size for a background light between the subject and the backdrop. I've always struggled to fit a regular light stand between my subject and the background but with this little guy I can fit a light as low as I want and in a tight space.
The footprint is not wide, but I don't want it to be wide so it's perfect for my uses.
on October 20, 2015
I mainly use this to hold my 2x3 reflector. I had one from a different brand that just keep tipping over, unless I had the sandbag on it just right. The CoyboyStudio stand almost doesn't need a sandbag. (Almost) I still use one and it and it hasn't tipped on me once. It's made well, and the price is right.

I'd buy it again.
on November 12, 2014
I needed some light stands that were small enough to pack for travel. The folded up size of these light stands are perfect for smaller bags. They are lightweight but sturdy enough for small strobes or hot lights. The only problem is that they are very stiff and hard to unfold. I hope that with repeated use that stiffness will become less problematic, but at this point I have no way to know.
on January 19, 2015
Exactly what I needed for background lights, etc. the photo for this item is misleading, however. The stand only has one sliding section, not two as in the photo. It does reach the advertised height, but only in one section.
on July 25, 2014
a small compact well built sturdy tripod to hold a light -- I wanted something that would hold an LED light above a computer on a desk to light the Skype conference calls and this fitted the bill.

Big enough to look cool and small enough to do the job.

Love it.
on December 17, 2014
No problems with the stand. It's lightweight and stable. I bought it because it's small and easily transportable. That means I also know if I extend the rods to the full height it will take less force to move it from the normal position. This is physics, not the product. To compensate, I use my camera bag as a weight to add stability to the base. I always know where my camera gear is.

See 1 answered question