5.0 out of 5 stars Time and space saver
Published on September 21, 2010 by Louis B. Dina

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective part then took a long time for a replacement
Had to email 3 times to get them to send me a replacement for the defective part. Next time I would buy another companies product.
Published 5 months ago by Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Time and space saver, September 21, 2010
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photography 3-Roller Wall Mounting Manual Background Support System (Camera)
I recently installed this unit to the ceiling joists in my studio (works on walls or ceiling). It holds up 3 rolls of 9 foot wide seamless paper. I love it. First, it takes only seconds to lower one background and raise another. Second, not big heavy rolls to lug around. Third, it saves floor space (no awkward stands required) and is much more stable than floor stands, which can tip and crash to the floor if you aren't careful, especially if working alone. Fourth, my paper stays in much better shape, with less tearing, wrinkling and wear & tear. I bought some thin pieces of wood lathe at Home Depot, (8' long X 1/4" thick X 1-1/4" high) and stapled them to the end each roll of seamless. This gives me a nice straight edge I can pull to lay out the paper and keeps it flat. It also provides just a little weight to the paper so it unrolls straight down instead of curling. The plastic chain and sprocket drive works great and eliminates the need to ladders or step stools.

I like it so much, I ordered a 2nd unit, which I plan to install for use with muslin backdrops. Since the muslins do not come on cardboard rolls, I will buy 10' long PVC, aluminum or cardboard pipes/rolls and use them with the muslin. Home Depot has cheap PVC 10' pipes for $3.50 each. I'll tape the muslin to the pipe and use it the same way I do the paper.

If you need to conserve space and want ease and speed, this is a great unit at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wall/ceiling mount backdrop support, February 14, 2010
Bob L (Lake Villa, IL) - See all my reviews
I was thinking about buying a motorized background support system for use in my simple garage studio, but after seeing the HUGE price difference, I decided on this one. It works very well, especially for 10x12 size backdrops. Larger backdrops may require an extra person to help it onto the rollers properly. Speaking of rollers, I simply went to Home Depot and bought 2" EMT conduit...works great!
The only thing I'm leary about is the plastic chain. Works fine if you don't put too much stress on it. Again, with a 10x12 backdrop, the chain works well. Also, it's very easy to shorten the length of the chain so that you can keep the whole loop closer to the ceiling.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice rack!, November 15, 2010
pretty nice heavy duty mounts for your seamless paper. like some people might say, the chains dont seem like theyd stand much tension. comes with primitive instructions, but its not hard to figure out. the tension screws are a little difficult to adjust sometimes.

careful about storing your seamless paper up there for prolonged time, they might sag and cause ripples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution for seamless paper!, February 3, 2012
If your backgrounds are already on a roll (as paper, vinyl, etc. often are), then you do not need PVC to put them on a roll. The PVC is needed for when you are putting up muslin or canvas that don't come on rolls. You can use the wall mount system directly into the paper roll!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Wall or Ceiling Backdrop Holder for Up to 3 Backdrops, December 23, 2011
Samantha D (LIVERPOOL, NY, US) - See all my reviews
I just ordered this last week and installed it on the wall in my home studio.

***For all future buyers, you need 3, 10 foot by 2 inch PVC pipe, aluminum or cardboard tube to put backdrops up with. Now I used PVC pipes from home depot which were about $6.29 each. I then put the tube through the stitched end of my muslin backdrops and secured it with velcro strips on the inside of the stitching and outside of tube. This worked great!!

***I also needed different hardware then what came with this item. I have drywall/sheetrock thats hollow and needed good anchors to secure the backdrop mount to the wall. I went to ACE hardware and bought butterfly hooks that came with screws and it worked GREAT!!

All in all, after I had the correct hardware and pvc pipes, everything went smoothly. The roller system is awesome!!
Any questions please let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, January 30, 2013
I just put these to use in my new studio. It can mount to either the wall or the ceiling. I was concerned about the plastic chain being flimsy but although it is plastic it seems well rugged enough not to be of concern. I will tell you though that the colors of the plastic chains make me want to puke! My studio is supposed to look professional and these tacky colors do nothing to contribute to that. I suppose in the end it didn't bother me THAT much because I didn't replace them with other colored chains. Dear CowboyStudio, cowboy-up and make this set with some neutral colors! All black chains would be great. I don't need them color coded, I know what backdrop I'm pulling on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for the installation screws/hardware provided, August 27, 2010
This is a great product, very easy to use and setup. . .once you figure out that you can't use the screws that are provided. You will need to obtain a different set of screws/anchors in order to attach the mounts. I struggled with what was provided before giving up and using anchors and screws that were much easier to use. If you are mounting into dry wall, get a good set of dry wall anchors (the kind that look like large screws and thread into the wall which you then screw the bolt into work best); this will save you about 30 to 45 minutes of frustration. If you are mounting into concrete, cinder block, or something similar go with bolts designed for that material. Once you get past that issue, everything is smooth sailing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product at a Great Price !, July 31, 2013
There were many versions of this type product online. This one was by far the cheapest and I mean only in price. The Brackets are strong and sturdy and even though the instruction sheet was a little confusing, it was very easy to install based on the obvious components. The expandable core holders work great with $5 - 2inch diameter PVC from Home Depot. You can also use direct with purchased Paper Roll using the existing cardboard cores. I like the PVC for my fabric backgrounds.
I would definitely recomend this product. Great way to get your backgrounds off the floor and open up floor spce from the traditional stands. Plus now I can use my stands for Lighting and flashes etc...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the money, December 30, 2012
This backdrop system is very efficient for what little you pay for it. The installation instructions aren't very clear but it's really simple to figure out. The system comes with butterfly screws that wouldn't work for my installation. You aren't required to use them so no harm there. I installed this system on a slopped ceiling, as you can see in the uploaded photos. This is a big concern depending on the angle of installation. Anything over an 8/12 pitch may not work due to the locking mechanism on the chain drive assembly. The hardest part is installing the second mount, you have to make sure it's not too far apart from the first or else your connection tubes may not be long enough. I see other reviewers stating that they used their paper tubes without an issue. I only see this working if you are using a lightweight paper. I tried to mount my 9x20 vinyl roll onto PVC but it bows way to much in the middle. I then tried using EMT conduit and it worked flawlessly! The EMT is much heavier so make sure you are mounting onto studs. The chains are a cheap plastic but work decently well. They are held down by the round weights that you see pictured. Overall it's a good product for a low budget studio or a hobby photographer. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device Great price, July 18, 2013
These things work great, use 2 inch PVC with them, but double wall the PVC or it will bow. Get a 10 ft of 2 inch PVC for the muslin backdrop. Also get a five foot piece of 1.5 inch PVC. Slide the 1.5 inch into the center of the 10 ft piece for support. There is some play inside the tube so I used two different methods to fill in the space. On one set I wrapped the 1.5 inch PVC with 14mm duct tape. Applied some dish washing soap on the tape for lubrication and slide the 1.5 into the 2 inch pipe. The second method I tried worked also but was a bit messy. I drilled three small holes into the 2 inch PVC then slide the 1.5 inch tube into the 2 inch tube then sprayed "Insta foam" into the holes I drilled. It's the spray foam from home improvement centers used to spay into cracks around door jams, windows etc. to insulate the. If you choose this method keep a piece of duct tape right next to the holes because as soon as you pull the straw from the hole the foam will find the path of least resistance (your hole) and come flying out. Until it sets up it will just keep oozing out. So ...duct tape or finger for about ten minutes. I tried the finger method, you don't want to use that. My muslin back drops have been hanging for about two weeks, deployed the rolled back up several times and the PVC shows no signs of bowing. Just be gentle with the plastic chains with the weight of the muslin. Buy them , they're worth the price.