Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 21, 2010
I recently installed this unit to the ceiling joists in my studio (works on walls or ceiling). It holds up 3 rolls of 9 foot wide seamless paper. I love it. First, it takes only seconds to lower one background and raise another. Second, not big heavy rolls to lug around. Third, it saves floor space (no awkward stands required) and is much more stable than floor stands, which can tip and crash to the floor if you aren't careful, especially if working alone. Fourth, my paper stays in much better shape, with less tearing, wrinkling and wear & tear. I bought some thin pieces of wood lathe at Home Depot, (8' long X 1/4" thick X 1-1/4" high) and stapled them to the end each roll of seamless. This gives me a nice straight edge I can pull to lay out the paper and keeps it flat. It also provides just a little weight to the paper so it unrolls straight down instead of curling. The plastic chain and sprocket drive works great and eliminates the need to ladders or step stools.

I like it so much, I ordered a 2nd unit, which I plan to install for use with muslin backdrops. Since the muslins do not come on cardboard rolls, I will buy 10' long PVC, aluminum or cardboard pipes/rolls and use them with the muslin. Home Depot has cheap PVC 10' pipes for $3.50 each. I'll tape the muslin to the pipe and use it the same way I do the paper.

If you need to conserve space and want ease and speed, this is a great unit at a great price.
55 comments91 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2010
I was thinking about buying a motorized background support system for use in my simple garage studio, but after seeing the HUGE price difference, I decided on this one. It works very well, especially for 10x12 size backdrops. Larger backdrops may require an extra person to help it onto the rollers properly. Speaking of rollers, I simply went to Home Depot and bought 2" EMT conduit...works great!
The only thing I'm leary about is the plastic chain. Works fine if you don't put too much stress on it. Again, with a 10x12 backdrop, the chain works well. Also, it's very easy to shorten the length of the chain so that you can keep the whole loop closer to the ceiling.
1111 comments29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2011
I just ordered this last week and installed it on the wall in my home studio.

***For all future buyers, you need 3, 10 foot by 2 inch PVC pipe, aluminum or cardboard tube to put backdrops up with. Now I used PVC pipes from home depot which were about $6.29 each. I then put the tube through the stitched end of my muslin backdrops and secured it with velcro strips on the inside of the stitching and outside of tube. This worked great!!

***I also needed different hardware then what came with this item. I have drywall/sheetrock thats hollow and needed good anchors to secure the backdrop mount to the wall. I went to ACE hardware and bought butterfly hooks that came with screws and it worked GREAT!!

All in all, after I had the correct hardware and pvc pipes, everything went smoothly. The roller system is awesome!!
Any questions please let me know.
77 comments22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2013
I didn't want to attach to a wall so I just used U clamps and attached to my Ravelli ABSL backdrop and it works great!
review image review image review image review image review image
44 comments27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2012
If your backgrounds are already on a roll (as paper, vinyl, etc. often are), then you do not need PVC to put them on a roll. The PVC is needed for when you are putting up muslin or canvas that don't come on rolls. You can use the wall mount system directly into the paper roll!
11 comment19 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2012
There's no way I was going to continue using backdrop stands in my studio while photographing busy body kids. I'm sure every photographer has experienced a toddler moving around and having equipment almost fall. Can't take that chance so I bought and installed this (well my husband installed this). He mounted it to the ceiling and right now I'm using 9' wide paper. It's working out very well. Not only offers a safer environment but allows for more space. I'm using PVC pipe to hold the backdrops. I posted pictures on this page. They're the ones where the ceiling is slanted on both sides and show how my husband was able to engineer a way to install this with the slants.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 15, 2010
pretty nice heavy duty mounts for your seamless paper. like some people might say, the chains dont seem like theyd stand much tension. comes with primitive instructions, but its not hard to figure out. the tension screws are a little difficult to adjust sometimes.

careful about storing your seamless paper up there for prolonged time, they might sag and cause ripples.
11 comment17 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2010
This is a great product, very easy to use and setup. . .once you figure out that you can't use the screws that are provided. You will need to obtain a different set of screws/anchors in order to attach the mounts. I struggled with what was provided before giving up and using anchors and screws that were much easier to use. If you are mounting into dry wall, get a good set of dry wall anchors (the kind that look like large screws and thread into the wall which you then screw the bolt into work best); this will save you about 30 to 45 minutes of frustration. If you are mounting into concrete, cinder block, or something similar go with bolts designed for that material. Once you get past that issue, everything is smooth sailing.
on January 30, 2013
I just put these to use in my new studio. It can mount to either the wall or the ceiling. I was concerned about the plastic chain being flimsy but although it is plastic it seems well rugged enough not to be of concern. I will tell you though that the colors of the plastic chains make me want to puke! My studio is supposed to look professional and these tacky colors do nothing to contribute to that. I suppose in the end it didn't bother me THAT much because I didn't replace them with other colored chains. Dear CowboyStudio, cowboy-up and make this set with some neutral colors! All black chains would be great. I don't need them color coded, I know what backdrop I'm pulling on.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 30, 2013
If you've looked around, you've seen the price that the mainstream manufacturers charge for the same system. That, and this is one of those cases where a little extra quality you might get in a more expensive system will gain you absolutely nothing, so why spend more?

The Design
You can mount this to the wall or to the ceiling, i chose the ceiling, to save as much space, It just kinda floats over the windows in my living room and doesn't get in the way when rolled up. There are 4 parts to the system: The bracket which holds everything, the expanding rods which attach to your seamless paper tube or pvc/metal tube and allow it to connect to the bracket, the chain, and the chain weights. The expanding rods hold nice and tight, and have two slots to choose from when mounting, you also can adjust how tight or loose the system is when lowering/raising.

Quality
I can easily see the lack of attention to detail in the welding of the brackets, but it's by no means inadequate, i mean common, it's a bracket, as long as it's solid and not warped, it's all that you need. the metal is sufficiently thick, and once bolted to a stud or joist, it feels solid as anything.

Use
You can use seamless paper with the tubes as is, or get a pvc/metal tube to attach your muslin to. One other thing i recommend adding is some weight to the edge of the paper/muslin, so that it comes down strait, and stores in a higher position. I simply put a clamp on either end and that does the trick, or you can get a thin strip of wood and screw it in, or another pvc pipe, etc...
Also, this might seem obvious, but you don't need to use the full length of chain, i use less than half so that less is dangling from my ceiling.

Mounting
I can also point out, that in my case i didn't have two ceiling joists in the right positions to get both ends of the brackets secured, and to make things worse, my joist is apparently warped, so it's not in a strait line. So, i lined up the bracket so that i was able to get at one end of one of them into a joist, and for the other bracket, i drilled a new hole into the metal so i could get it into that joist. Then for the other ends of the brackets which had no joist around, i used a toggle bolts. Not ideal, but has held well and feels secure. More ideal would be to get a 2x4 and bridge two joists and then mount to the 2x4

Important note! when mounting, it's important to get it level, and guess what? Many ceilings aren't level! Easy fix: whichever side is higher, just use some shims to lower it. Or in my case i just backed out the screws a few mm.

Note about the photos, the included chains are about twice as long, i just opted to use less of them
review image review image