5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my needs perfectly.
Published on March 11, 2010 by Manzanita Lodgepole

Published on June 29, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my needs perfectly., March 11, 2010
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photography Backdrop Supporting System with 9 Feet Updated Crossbar and Case (Electronics)
I like to take videos of dance students. The background used to be a messy distraction of shoes, clothing, jackets, dance bags, half eaten sandwiches, and all you can imagine. This frame provides a great background for videos and photos. I can change the background often with sheets, paint drop cloths, paper rolls, and the imagination is all yours. I also make my own sand bags to drap around the the tripods so they are more stable. To make inexpensive sand bags, I buy a large bag of cheap men's sox at Walmart & cut off & sew up the heel part so they are more like a tube. I also buy bags of river rocks at a hobby or garden store, fill the sox, sew together at the top so you have weights on both ends. Highly effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and Durable, July 4, 2012
I was looking for a portable background support system to use at home as well as on location to do some portrait photography work. I looked at several models and read many reviews, but could not decide on one. There were some models where the support bar would sag under the weight of the fabric or paper.

I asked my brother (a fellow photographer) if he knew of good system. He suggested Cowboy Studios. I perused their website and came across a model that appeared to be sturdy and well priced (under $100). I knew which one I wanted...the Cowboy Studios Premium Background Support System (901). I did a search on Amazon and came up with several different models. I searched on "CowboyStudio backdrop 901" and was able to find the system.

This heavy duty 10 ft crossbar studio background support system came in a carrying case and shipped in a box. The crossbar or support bar came in four (4) sections along with 2 heavy duty spring cushioned light stands.

I like the idea of having a 4 section crossbar as I can adjust the width of the support system to my photographic needs. One of the four crossbar section had some scratches, but it's not an issue as it doesn't appear to be snagging my fabric/backdrop.

The heavy duty spring cushioned light stands are easy to setup and adjustable in height. Overall, they are quite sturdy.

Here's how I do a quick setup of the support system:
- I setup the two stands to the appropriate height I want to work with
- I put together the crossbar sections (2, 3 or all 4)
- I lay the connected crossbar sections down on the ground
- I place the light stands apart...the same distance as the connected crossbar sections
- I lift the crossbar and place on top of the "pole" of each light stand
- I place and screw down the wing nuts

It takes at most 5 minutes to setup and 5 minutes to tear down the system. Really simple and easy to use.

The bag has two interior pockets that contain the collapsed light stands. In the middle of the bag are elastic slots that hold the four (4) crossbar sections. The bag has a main zipper that zips the bag close. There's a secondary zipper that zips around the top of the bag. There are two buckles that keep the bag secured. The bag has webbed straps and a padded handle that wraps around the straps to keep the straps together and easier to carry the bag.

Long before I ordered this system, I had already purchased a couple yards of fabric I found at my local fabric shop. I was rummaging through their home decorating clearance table and found a nice slightly textured fabric in a pale pink color. Because of the extra yardage I had, I can drape this fabric over the support bar without any problems. Eventually, I will sew up a pocket at the top of the fabric, so I can slide the crossbar through the pocket and let the fabric hang.

I'm not in a rush, but I'm looking at other backdrop colors that I would need. I will keep visiting my local fabric store to see what they have.

I highly recommend this background support system. Surprisingly for the price, it's well made and very portable.

** Update 07/04/12 **

I've added a photo to the gallery of my informal studio setup with 2 crossbar sections and my home dec fabric draped over the support system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible product for the price..., August 19, 2009
Herbie (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
There is not much to say about the product itself, other that it is an average good quality item - two light stands and the top part.
I had one small problem because the holes did not fit exactly to put the top part together, but the problem was resolved in a minute by loosening two screws and adjusting the holes. (You need a small allen wrench if this happens to you). The quality/price relation outweighs this little issue. Great product.
The set comes in a nice and very practicable bag. Overall, the price is incredible low for this item. I simply can't understand how they produce all this for that price.
Highly recommendable!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pay the $10 extra to get the PBL version with METAL knobs (much better quality!!), June 29, 2011
I have a couple stands from CowboyStudio, they are CHEAP CRAP! Super light and didn't last long, all wingnut/knobs are plastic made, you hear that creaking noise when you try to tight things up. Eventually they just break! I then got the PBL version, much better build on the nut, screw. For this particular 10 ft backdrop stand, PBL sold for $60 + $15 shipping (total $75) as of today. Trust me, for that $10 different, it is well worth it if you want something that's durable and last longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered fast and an excellent lightweight support, July 12, 2010
First, Cowboy Studio sent this fast. I mean FAST! I didn't pay for expedited shipping, so I was quite pleased that they seem to be on the ball there. They are certainly a seller I will buy from again, with hopefully the same results. As for the support: it's is a fine piece of kit. It seems flimsy when you are assembling it, but trust me, it supported my 9 feet wide by 12 yards long roll of background paper sturdily. At no time did I feel afraid that the whole thing was going to fall down. And I like that it is a variable width stand; so I can buy smaller backgrounds and adjust the stand accordingly. What's also nice is that this support stand breaks down to fit into a small case which is easily tucked away in a garage or closet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still thinking about it, April 7, 2011
I came from a DIY background stand into this item. The cost between making my own to purchasing this one is negligible. For what I've spent between making my own and the purchase of this one I could have purchased a better quality set. At the time of making my own background stand I did not know how far I wanted to go with portraiture, making my own seemed ideal. That was a year ago.

This set does not have AC (air column) control. When you loosen it, it will drop.

The top pin threads are not standard for any photographic equipment. I doubt it will hold anything extra any ways. I've put 2 king size sheets and a 9x12 drop cloth of 8oz canvas on it. It held but I was pushing the limits of the center bar. The stands themselves did fine under the weight.

The bag is a bit short overall but does contain all the pieces. It does double as a backdrop bag. I'll stuff my small backdrop and clamps into it once I've stored the stands.

If you are looking for an occasional backdrop stand, this is it. If you are Pro or thinking of going Pro I do recommend the next step up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for 10' wide use., March 29, 2011
The stand itself feels a bit flimsy when fully extended so would really only recommend this for hobbyist users - reflective of the price of course. Despite that, the stand has worked solidly and if set up correctly, works well (make sure that one of the tripod stand legs is pointed perpendicular to the crossbar so as to prevent it from tipping forward while subjects are in front of it). My biggest complaint though is that the product was advertised as a 10' crossbar - leading me to believe it would fit my 10 ft wide backdrops. In reality, the crossbar is indeed 10' long but with the holes drilled 2" from each end (in order to attach them to the stands)this means the crossbar can only fit up to 9'8" backdrops or smaller. Not a huge deal if you're using muslin, but if you're using paper or vinyl backdrops as I am, it will not fit. Cowboy studios was fast and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, serves its intended purpose well., December 12, 2010
The backdrop support system was easy to use right out of the box. Took me no more than 10 minutes to set it up with a muslin. The clamps are strong and hold the muslin in place very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, October 24, 2011
betsy Davis (MITCHELLVILLE, IA, US) - See all my reviews
I got this stand because it shipped free. It's an okay stand. Not always the most sturdy so if you work with young children or babies you might need to make sure someone is on standby or you have it re-enforced.(I usually place a heavy object to help hold it down and have mom or dad stand next to it). It has held up my 9 ft rolls of seamless paper just fine with no bending or warping of the bars. One thing to take note of it can sometimes be a pain to get the feet all teh way extended. It was so hard that I didn't even realize they extended more till my 3 time using it. Over all I think it's a great stand to start out with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bang For Your Buck., June 6, 2010
C. Helms (Greensboro NC) - See all my reviews
I have used this backdrop 3 times now and it seems very sturdy when holding up my muslin backdrops and even seamless paper rolls. I would recommend this to anyone who needs a portable studio.