5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight stand
Published on August 23, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok stand, but gotta add to it
Published on September 2, 2010 by Daniel Labrecque II

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok stand, but gotta add to it, September 2, 2010
This review is from: CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 feet Photography Light Stands with Cases (Electronics)
I ordered 2 of these and one stand works fine but the other begins to close up when a little pressure or weight is placed atop the stand. Not worth getting if you've spent any kind of money on good lights/equipment. There's a very cheap, basic "locking" knob that holds the stand open, but it doesn't work so well and probably won't last very long either. The mount is removable but doesn't accept other mounts unless they're shaped exactly like the default one.
The carrying bag should be at least 1/2" longer as the stand fits very tightly with little room to quickly zip up.
I'll probably add a clamp on after opening to keep it from closing up on me. I will definitely save and invest in better equipment next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars I bent mine! Good for light work., December 8, 2011
Good for light work with an umbrella with a continuous light or a hot shoe speed light. Not good for a mono strobe with a light box. The tubes are not strong enough. I recommend the heavy duty stands for not much of a price difference.

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY FAR AWAY, March 1, 2013
Most of the better reviews you read of this light are when they are first purchased. The real test comes months after, when the stand has been road tested.
This stand does not, under any circumstances, hold up well.
The spring cushions fail.
I called the company to tell them this. They are rude, unattentive, truly not empathetic, and dismissive. This is the 3rd of 4th problem I have had with this company. They want absolutely nothing to do with you if you call with a problem. They blamed the problems on the manufacturing, telling me "its China's fault". Literally. I know they are cheap, but you get what you par for.
WHY?
99.9% of light stands out there let you tighten the stand when it comes loose. These dont. They are made poorly, cheaply, and to throw away when they don't work anymore. Stay away. Stay far, far away from these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight stand, August 23, 2010
Was looking for an inexpensive, lightweight stand to use with small umbrella or softbox and portable flash. This one works very well. Extending the legs was a little stiff at first, but a few drops of WD-40 helped. I found this flash braket to use with the stand and seems to make a good pairing. ePhotoStrobist Swivel Flash Bracket Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900 by Ephoto INC bracketB I have used the stand fully extended with a 43" umbrella and so far it has been very sturdy. The included case is very lightweight material, but works well. My guess is that the case will not last near as long as the stand.

3.0 out of 5 stars light and flimsey feet, October 19, 2010
giving 3 starts for me this product means satisfactority built. it is light good for my flash. there is a bit of a problem opening the tripod the first time i opened the box that's why i said it's a bit flimsy. though it does support my Di622 flash. good for hobbyist who started strobes. better if you add the flash support for umbrella so you can tip it to an angle.
for the price of 10 bucks at over six feet in height, i think this would be a good buy just don't put heavy light on it coz the legs isn't sturdy enough. i would buy the same for another flash only stand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent buy if you can't afford anything better., July 18, 2012
So, ill start out by saying this....i have never given a review for an item that has received less than 3 or 4 stars. I have always. Had. Great luck purchasing on Amazon, and always do my research on every item, as well as reading all reviews, prior to purchasing. That said, I was so displeased by this item, i felt compelled to immediately log on and share my experience, as after 2 weeks, the items finally arrived today!

Heres the situation....I am a professional filmmaker and commercial director. I own a production house and a media marketing agency on the east coast. My company produces over 100 television commercials per year, half of which, I personally direct. In addition, I work on various film and television projects both professionally and in my spare time. Normally for items like this, I will purchase professional grade equipment that I am confident will perform at 100%. Recently, however, I have been hired to direct a low budget film in which I needed to purchase a lot of additional equipment. One of those purchases was this item, along with an extendable arm for holding reflectors, and a large reflector that was bundled together here on Amazon. I know in this business, you get what you pay for, but i needed the extra items and was on a limited budget for my client. This seemed like a solid choice for the money, and the reviews were great....so I ordered....over 2 weeks ago.

The item was supposedly in stock, and I paid for the upgraded shipping to receive it faster. I had expected to receive the item with in 3 or 4 days, as that was the option I selected at purchase. The reality, though, was almost 2 weeks of my item saying "Shipping Soon" as the seller didn't send the item out for almost 2 weeks. Finally once shipped, it only took a few days to arrive, which was some relief, but the problems really come when I opened the items.

I was pleased to find the stands individually packed in decent looking carry bags, which will certainly come in hand. When i pulled the first stand out of the bag, I heard the irritating sound of metal falling to the floor. I looked down to notice that one of the screws that holds the legs to the folding supports, was laying on the ground. Upon inspection, I discovered the problem...instead of the attachment being made via a screw, washer, and a nut, the manufacturer had attachedthe pieces with a screw and 2 washers....not nut. So, when I opened the item, the screw just fell to the floor and the leg pieces dangled un attached. Fortunately, I had a nut on hand that fit, and I repaired the item with little aggrevation.

When I opened the second stand, I tried opening out the legs, with no luck. I checked to ensure that the release was lossened, and there was nothing else causing the issue. I continued to try for about a minute or two before the legs finally, slowly, opened. The legs were so stiff, that it took all of my strength to pry them open. For these stands to function properly, they will require a bit of work. Im not too happy about this, as I already waited to long for the items to even ship out to me, Im afraid to do what I would prefer to do, and send them back! At this point, Im probably better off just keeing them and trying to fix the. To make them work.

Like I said...i know that we get what we pay for and for $25, its a great deal...If they worked as they should. If this is all that you can afford, than I hope the items you receive dont arrive the way that mine did. If you can afford better equipment, I would suggest forgetting about these stands, and buying something that you know will perform as it should. Now, I gave the items 2 stars still in effort to be fair. Im sure my experience might be a fluke, but its the risk we all run when buying cheap gear. Additionally, the bags were a nice addition, and even after I repair these stands, Im sure they will at least function well for a little while, until something else goes wrong. Give em shot if thats all you can swing, but, dont trust cheap gear like this to hold your lights or other valuable items, if you have the budget for food sturdy stands.

My 2 cents..

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid - Pleasantly Surprised, November 25, 2012
Having read many other reviews, I half expected to receive rusty tubes made from old coat hangers. What I got were solid stands that, while not of the quality one would find in a real photography studio, certainly meet my needs as a hobbyist and enthusiast who takes portraits and headshots of friends, family, and neigbor kids. I can see where the plastic knob used for tightening the leg clamp might eventually wear out, but unless you're going to throw them around without a care for your equipment, I don't see why they wouldn't last quite some time. If I get a year out of them I'll be very happy. That would be less than $2 per month. And based on how they feel, I don't imagine having to give them up in a year.

Solid stuff. Unless you're going to be taking pictures for high-end customers who judge every last piece of equipment you bring in addition to your picture quality, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars good stands so far, February 7, 2011
the stands are not the strongest things on earth but for the price they are hard to beat. i have had mine for weeks and they already fell and I stepped on them. they are easy to scratch but not so easy to break.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value., August 28, 2010
Good lightweight stand for speedlights. I probably won't dare put on anything larger than a hotshoe speedlight with an umbrella on this stand as the base isn't very wide for balance, but for it's portability and price, it's a good stand to have. Once you put on an umbrella on this (or a softbox), be prepared to use sandbags to weigh it down if there's any soft of breeze around you. I used a 60" umbrella without sandbags, but it was a wind-free evening and I had an assistant by the stand.

The carrying case is a bit of a tight fit for the stand, an extra centimeter would have made a huge difference in the fit. A better fitting case would have gotten this five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much sturdier than the smaller Cowboy studio stands!, August 2, 2012
Up until now I've been using the smaller Cowboystudio stands that came with my CS continuous 3 light set with 2 backdrops and a backdrop stand. These 9' heavy duty stands are WAY nicer than the smaller stands.

Here's the play-by-play:
- stand height when collapsed: about 3'; approx. 1' taller that my smaller stands collapsed.
- stand tube thickness: almost double that of the smaller stands.
- height adjusters: quick release knobs make adjustments fast and easy and less likely to break with use. However heavier equipment could cause stand sections to drop since you can't tighten it as much as you want. But I tested it, and it takes quite a bit of weight to make them drop while tightened. Much more than the average person would have on top of these stands.
- footprint: almost 3' when fully opened; smaller stands are around 2' or less
- Cushioned means spring loaded tubes which attempt to absorb shock on an abrupt drop. The springs should be beefier, even just dropping the tubes by themselves with no equipment on them sounds harsh and like I wouldn't want it to happen to my lights...even with the springs.

Only downside to these, I also bought a Ravelli stand of similar price, quality and size and that one comes with a really nice bag and has MUCH nicer components (except it has plastic height adjuster clamps) and it comes with a removable and reversible screw stud at the top. This adds to the stands versatility and is why I'll probably buy more of those and less of these.