Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Style: 2X803Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange

on January 10, 2013
I'm using AlienBees on these stands (the B400 model) and the cushion doesn't exist when the lights are on the stands. If I release a section the light will fall pretty hard. When there's no light on the stand it feels like there's some cushion in there (only air cushion because there's no spring at the bottom like other cushioned stands). I also received one that was deformed I guess you would say. The clamp on the second section doesn't line up with the clamp on the first section. It functions, just looks awkward. The stands are sturdy and look nice, but I can't give this a perfect score due to the issues I previously mentioned.
I own another CowboyStudio model stand that I recommend more than this model (the 9 foot Heavy duty Cushioned Premium Black Light Stand that sell for twenty five dollars on Amazon):
[...]
on January 18, 2013
This just arrived today and you absolutely get what you pay for. It is flimsy and not sturdy at all. I would not bring this to weddings or anywhere where someone would accidently bump it because it would fall over. It is extremely hard to open. I cannot get the legs to open like the picture shown. If I apply anymore pressure, I fear I will snap a leg off, that's how cheap it feels. It will do the job for now, but since it is just my second light stand and not my main light stand, it will get the job done. I can hold an alienbee1600 on it ok. I will definitely upgrade to one that is of higher quality and now I know to look for a higher price point to get the quality I need. I was trying to not spend much since I have a really good light stand already but there's a reason why it was only $16.
on December 7, 2012
Items arrived fast and are as described. They are solidly build, light so you can move them around easily. The legs are tight in the beginning and you have to push and pull to get them setup but this is better than flapping around.

You can lubricate both the leg joints and extension arms with WD-40 (lightly) to make the setup easier. The value is un-beatable $11.50 each so you get a great value for it. I use it mostly for indoor shooting but with sand bags you can use it outside I guess.

Recommend for beginners who want to start with still or portrait photography but don't want to spend big $$$ on a professional equipment. These will get you started and if you decide this is what you would like to pursue you can always upgrade later.
on August 5, 2013
I need some inexpensive stands that I could fit in baggage for air travel, that were basically disposable if they got damaged and these performed the task well. They are just sturdy enough to hold an umbrella and light strobe. I had them all the way up and the air conditioning vent almost blew them over, so they aren't for outdoors unless there is no chance of wind or they aren't extended very high. You will need flash brackets and umbrella clamps or combo units, as the tip is just a threaded rod. Carry case is sufficient for transport, but won't withstand abuse. But then again, neither will the stands. You get what you pay for generally speaking, and these were just what I needed. Very satisfied.
on November 7, 2013
Ordered 2 of these stands less than 4 months ago. Thought they were a decent price and figured I just need basic stands, how bad could they be? The "flip lock' design is a disaster. I have to tighten and re-tighten the locking mechanisms before and during every session. With an assistant, this is manageable at best...but without an assistant, on location, it's an aggravation to say the least. If you plan to put the stands up and never change their height, then they may do ok...but if you do a lot of location photography such as I do, and are in constant need of packing up, moving, and setting up again, then avoid these stands. They began to malfunction after the first use.
on September 23, 2015
I got this in the summer of 2012, and I write this review after 3 years because of recent problem that I encountered. I didn't use those light stand much, and when I needed to use it, it's because of its height. And I normally use it on a speedlight, so weight was never an issue. However, a few days ago, I put a boom with a 3-4 lbs weight at one end of the boom and a speedlight with a 24" softbox. The total weight should be very much under the max load. However, this light stand couldn't handle the weight and it kept sliding down even it is locked.

I won't recommend this to anyone who plans to put on some weight close to 10 lbs.
on December 19, 2012
These stands get up to about seven feet which is enough for most photography and they are fairly light in weight. Being light in weight they also are a bit limited in the weight they can bear so you should consider this when making the purchase. They were perfect for my intended purpose which was to hold in place a small LED panel for product photography or portraiture of a single person at a time. The weight factor might be limiting in capacity but it is much easier to carry.
on March 16, 2013
When it arrived it was hard to open. I noticed the small bolts were too tight so I loosened the self-locking nuts and boy it swings open easily. Its perfect for shoe mount flash. I heard those complaining its flimsy. Of course we dont use DSLR camera on a small tripod intended for pocket cameras. Consequently, we shouldnt use this for studio strobes. Some basic sense will tell you that putting an umbrella on it outdoors will definitely be a no no. Not unless you improvise.
on November 1, 2010
Really more than one word I must say about this stand. Not the lightest or smallest stand but for the price I'm gonna buy three or four more! Weight really wasn't an issue with me and the fact that this thing can hold 16 lbs is really a big plus for me. 9 feet 9 inches is all I will need for now when I shoot portraits and action shots but when I upgrade I definitely will not get rid of these stands..they will become my backups. A fine product by a great company!
on November 4, 2014
These are great light stands. They are heavy duty and can take big studio lights. They are also tall enough for most any situation. Rugged design and great cost.

Keep in mind that this heavy duty version does not have a 4/20 threaded screw on top. It is just a metal post. This is good for heavy lights because they can break those small screws off. Just know that these don't have the screw going in and you'll be fine.