Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style: 2X803Package Type: Frustration-Free PackagingChange

on September 2, 2010
I ordered 2 of these and one stand works fine but the other begins to close up when a little pressure or weight is placed atop the stand. Not worth getting if you've spent any kind of money on good lights/equipment. There's a very cheap, basic "locking" knob that holds the stand open, but it doesn't work so well and probably won't last very long either. The mount is removable but doesn't accept other mounts unless they're shaped exactly like the default one.
The carrying bag should be at least 1/2" longer as the stand fits very tightly with little room to quickly zip up.
I'll probably add a clamp on after opening to keep it from closing up on me. I will definitely save and invest in better equipment next time.
on March 1, 2013
Most of the better reviews you read of this light are when they are first purchased. The real test comes months after, when the stand has been road tested.
This stand does not, under any circumstances, hold up well.
The spring cushions fail.
I called the company to tell them this. They are rude, unattentive, truly not empathetic, and dismissive. This is the 3rd of 4th problem I have had with this company. They want absolutely nothing to do with you if you call with a problem. They blamed the problems on the manufacturing, telling me "its China's fault". Literally. I know they are cheap, but you get what you par for.
99.9% of light stands out there let you tighten the stand when it comes loose. These dont. They are made poorly, cheaply, and to throw away when they don't work anymore. Stay away. Stay far, far away from these.
on December 8, 2011
Good for light work with an umbrella with a continuous light or a hot shoe speed light. Not good for a mono strobe with a light box. The tubes are not strong enough. I recommend the heavy duty stands for not much of a price difference.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2012
I really like this stand. My Manfrotto 5001B light stand is very similar. Just as the other reviewer has stated, the columns are thicker and it about 2 inches longer folded and about 5 inches shorter fully extended than the Manfrotto (see photos I have uploaded). I really do like the tightening clamps on it cause they seem to be made of metal not plastic. There only seems to be about a $10 difference between this stand and the Manfrotto, so if you don't mind the extra storage space and don't plan on needing the additional height. Then this is a good buy.
review image review image review image review image
on August 23, 2010
Was looking for an inexpensive, lightweight stand to use with small umbrella or softbox and portable flash. This one works very well. Extending the legs was a little stiff at first, but a few drops of WD-40 helped. I found this flash braket to use with the stand and seems to make a good pairing. ePhotoStrobist Swivel Flash Bracket Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900 by Ephoto INC bracketB I have used the stand fully extended with a 43" umbrella and so far it has been very sturdy. The included case is very lightweight material, but works well. My guess is that the case will not last near as long as the stand.
on November 25, 2012
Having read many other reviews, I half expected to receive rusty tubes made from old coat hangers. What I got were solid stands that, while not of the quality one would find in a real photography studio, certainly meet my needs as a hobbyist and enthusiast who takes portraits and headshots of friends, family, and neigbor kids. I can see where the plastic knob used for tightening the leg clamp might eventually wear out, but unless you're going to throw them around without a care for your equipment, I don't see why they wouldn't last quite some time. If I get a year out of them I'll be very happy. That would be less than $2 per month. And based on how they feel, I don't imagine having to give them up in a year.

Solid stuff. Unless you're going to be taking pictures for high-end customers who judge every last piece of equipment you bring in addition to your picture quality, you won't be disappointed.
on May 30, 2012
First off these are cheap stands. They make no attempt to be anything more than this and they do this job quite well. I just received mine about 15 minutes ago and my initial reaction is quite good considering the price point. They go up to about 7 feet but could probably be extended slightly further. I don't know if I would use one as a boom with weight on the end just yet, that assessment will come next weekend at a wedding I'm doing where theses will get put to the test to see how they hold up. The joints are all bolts, the pressure fitting plastic, the metal light weight. They do come with carrying cases but I don't really expect them to hold up forever and if they do I'll be pleasantly surprised. They are what they are, inexpensive stands, but that's all they really need to be and if you're careful I'm sure they'll do they're job for a long time. A couple of notes, the joints are all quite stiff but I think they'll wear into smooth operation, also the rubber foots on the bottom of each leg are loose and I fully expect them to fall out so I'm going to take preventative action and use some hot glue to make sure they stay put. I would highly recommend these to anyone and I will update after I've had a chance to put these through some tests in a couple situations to see how they fare.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2014
I'll start by saying that I make a living by lighting film sets. I've seen all kinds of stands, good and bad, cheap and expensive. This is the worst lighting stand I have ever used - but this is also the most inexpensive lighting stand I have ever used. I get that people are on a budget. That's why I gave it 4 stars. Value. If I had to use this thing every day for work I would go insane. But, If you need a stand to help you do the occasional personal project, you will probably be quite satisfied.
The cheapest stands that I use for work are the ARRI kit stands, about $100. The most expensive stands that I use are American Grip Roadrunner 200 stands, about $7000. I got this Cowboy Studio stand as a daily deal for $15. It comes with a bag, not sure what that's for. It's really clumsy to open and uses cheap materials. That said, you will be hard pressed to find a better value, especially if it's just for occasional, personal use. Buy one or two!
on August 2, 2012
Up until now I've been using the smaller Cowboystudio stands that came with my CS continuous 3 light set with 2 backdrops and a backdrop stand. These 9' heavy duty stands are WAY nicer than the smaller stands.

Here's the play-by-play:
- stand height when collapsed: about 3'; approx. 1' taller that my smaller stands collapsed.
- stand tube thickness: almost double that of the smaller stands.
- height adjusters: quick release knobs make adjustments fast and easy and less likely to break with use. However heavier equipment could cause stand sections to drop since you can't tighten it as much as you want. But I tested it, and it takes quite a bit of weight to make them drop while tightened. Much more than the average person would have on top of these stands.
- footprint: almost 3' when fully opened; smaller stands are around 2' or less
- Cushioned means spring loaded tubes which attempt to absorb shock on an abrupt drop. The springs should be beefier, even just dropping the tubes by themselves with no equipment on them sounds harsh and like I wouldn't want it to happen to my lights...even with the springs.

Only downside to these, I also bought a Ravelli stand of similar price, quality and size and that one comes with a really nice bag and has MUCH nicer components (except it has plastic height adjuster clamps) and it comes with a removable and reversible screw stud at the top. This adds to the stands versatility and is why I'll probably buy more of those and less of these.
on February 7, 2011
the stands are not the strongest things on earth but for the price they are hard to beat. i have had mine for weeks and they already fell and I stepped on them. they are easy to scratch but not so easy to break.