5.0 out of 5 stars A solid purchase, even for pros.
As a photographer with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that these lights are simply awesome. There have been many reviews from what I can only assume are drooling morons about the socket quality, the stands quality, the low light levels. Guess what? They are $60.00 bucks, not $1,500.00 like my main set!

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, needs work, but nice price
I bought these as a cool light setup for a permanent addition to my studio and for video, but not nearly bright enough to work. I added a four way adapter and brighter bulbs, which helped. It is cheap, but works with brighter bulbs.

[update]
another reviewer in this feed suggested a 105w bulb that is 5000k made by Cowboy Studios.
Published on November 24, 2010 by Aaron

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid purchase, even for pros., March 3, 2013
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photography/Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit with Three Day Light CFL Bulbs, Three Stands, Two Umbrellas, and One Carrying Case For Product, Portrait, and Video Shoots (Camera)

PROS:
The Stands are of a thinner tubing than the $1,500 dollar variety, yes, and of a pot metal construction (not aircraft grade aluminum) with lower quality plastic clamps and adjusters (not machined and polished aluminum) HOWEVER... they are most certainly sturdy for light stands and absolutely useable for what I can see as a very long life (if you're not a tool!)

Also, the light fixtures themselves are very sturdy AND accommodate the included bulbs very well.

As this is a continuous light system and not strobes, I have used them for studio lighting along with 2 softboxes. The light level is strong and clean, with no flickers or other anomalies.

The light levels are steady and at the advertised rated output continuously.

The accompanying nylon bag is branded with Cowboy Studio's logo as with all of their products. The bag is really descent and holds the gear for transport properly and completely as it should.

CONS: None, for 60 dollars there is not a one. Even for $120.00 I would be very satisfied.

All in all, for 60 bucks, these are awesome and very much worth the money and will serve you well... unless you're a tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greating lighting at an even greater price, September 12, 2010
Mister B (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
We will be using this kit for both photography and video.

I was initially skeptical at what I was going to get at this phenomenal price, but I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Everything assembles very quickly, and it goes back just as easy into the included storage bag. I kept the boxes for each item so they stay nice and neat in the bag.

I am an amateur photographer, my partner runs an indie production company, so we needed something that fit our extremely modest budget, was portable, and provided the light we required for various shoots. This product met our requirements in all cases.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, needs work, but nice price, November 24, 2010
Aaron (United States) - See all my reviews

[update]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great budget lighting kit, January 15, 2014
Length:: 8:12 Mins

This is a great budget lighting kit for beginners and hobbyist. Obviously, for this price you are not going to get the best quality of materials, but overall this kit is perfect for small indoor projects.

Pros:
- The lights create a clean and strong white light. Excellent for video work.
- Great price.
- The bag fits everything that comes in the kit and more.
- The umbrellas are big and create a nice diffused light.
- Easy to set up.

Cons:
- The quality of the materials is not the best. Cheap-looking plastic connectors and endings.
- Some of the tightening screws will pop out if you unscrew them all the way.
- The light stands are light. Be careful when using them outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great product for an awesome price!, November 8, 2010
I ordered the items on mon with checking transfer. I apparently typed something wrong and they sent me an email with issues with my bank and I needed another form of payment on tues, I fixed that the same day. I got an email that stated I would receive my kit anywhere from Nov. 5 to Nov 16. I was surprised when I received it 3 days later on Nov. 5!

PROS:
not only where the umbrellas huge, it came with a reflective shield that's not listed in the listing. it goes on the outside of the white umbrellas. The stands felt real sturdy and good standing. the lights were amazingly white. I never seen such a white bulb. lol sooooo bright.

CONS:
one of the light sockets didn't work on arrival, however I emailed them sunday at 11pm, and received email stating they already sent out another product on monday at 10am with tracking info. I can't believe the service! from them! they look cheap, but its definitely worth the price.
the bag does not look like the bag in the pic. the bag only holds two stands and two umbrellas, no room for anything else.

You can not go wrong with this set up for this price at all.

i'd buy it again if I needed to ;) hit me up if u have questions on it, I'll answer them!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, Great., March 24, 2011
I have now used this kit a half dozen times and I think it is great. The CFL dont get hot which makes using them to shoot babies great. It is light and easy to set up so bringing them to a client's home is fine. The bag is big enough to hold everything (once it is all out of the boxes they were shipped in) and extension cords, small backdrops and other odds and ends that you might need. If you are starting up and are looking for a good basic light kit I would recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect mini studio, February 26, 2013
As an eBay seller, I take a LOT of photographs of the items I'm selling. For the past year I've been in business, I've been dependent on outdoor light on my lanai, where, when conditions were perfect, I've set up a table with drop cloth and backdrop. This mini studio has changed my life! I have it permanently set up in a corner of our home office, and the lighting is just perfect! I'm ready to photograph at the drop of a hat, making my work much easier! Thank you so much for this great "studio in a bag"! My husband helped me set it up, but as we were finishing up, I realized that I easily could have done it on my own, even without any experience with this type of equipment. Very easy! I'm EXTREMELY happy with this purchase!! :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Light Socket is Worthless on this Kit!, June 2, 2014
Length:: 2:38 Mins

The light socket assembly that comes with the Cowboy Light Studio kit is defective. When you screw in the light bulb, the metal piece that is inside the socket, will come out as you tighten the light bulb. This happened to two of the three light sockets. I didn't tighten the third one very much, otherwise the metal piece would have came out.

Make sure to checkout the additional close up pictures of the metal ring coming out of the light socket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way more than your $ worth.., August 27, 2012
When I first ordered this product, I didn't know what to expect. Will the lights be dim/bright or will they work at all crossed my mind; however, at a shade under $70, it would not be a devastating loss if they proved to be less than expected. The package arrived earlier than expected, but the weight seemed to be too light. Thankfully, once I had opened it and withdrew the contents, I was put at ease, as the product is meant to be light. Inside were two stands that extend out to a height taller than I am (6'5" tall), and one much shorter. Two umbrella diffusers came with it, as well as three fixtures with three 45W 5,500K bulbs. One I had set it up and turned them on I was surprised at the amount of light provided by them.

They gave me enough light to shoot a cooking video at 400 ISO, f/8 at 1/50 shutter speed on a 50mm lens.

I am in the process of ordering an additional set so I can hopefully get my next video down to 100-200 ISO, that and I'll need the extra light when trying to shoot pet photos, as they usually close their eyes if a flash is used; thus, the continuous light has many advantages.

Pros: Cheap
Well constructed, all metal design
Sufficient light for video/photos
Very light when using included carrying bag
Long power cords
Cons: Perhaps a bit too dim for some video applications, but the bulbs can be changed to brighter options.
That's it..just one slight complaint..

If you're a student on a minuscule budget and need some extra "soft" light for photo/video applications, you cannot go wrong with this setup, as it's the best deal out there. PERIOD

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap, December 11, 2012
Simply useless, lights didn't work and also very weak. Just another average product from China . Legs are good but light is poor. Quality is poor one bulb was not working...