4.0 out of 5 stars Description fixed; mystery parts identified.
Published on February 14, 2011 by Gary L. Kellogg

1.0 out of 5 stars GARBAGE compared to the original
This product has been completely changed, massively cheaped out and is now pretty much useless.

Published on May 4, 2012 by Sunny

1.0 out of 5 stars GARBAGE compared to the original, May 4, 2012
Sunny (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photography Table Top Photo Studio Lighting Kit - 2 Light Kit (Electronics)

#1 Depth of light cups SO short (about HALF the length of the original) that the bulbs extend way out. Impossible to use a filter, also ridiculously glaring. Why bother with a light cup at all, if the bulb is sticking out this far????? It's basically a naked bulb at this point.

#2 Tripod legs have been shortened (about half the length of the original) and it is now VERY tippy and unstable. When it tips over the bulbs will crush as soon as they touch surface, since there is NO protection from the virtually non-existent light cups.

#3 Cord has been shortened and won't reach anywhere unless you're right next to an outlet.

#4 Lampstand has also been dramatically shortened and only extends about a foot now instead of the original 36".

If you have the original light set DO NOT purchase this. You will be furious if you do. If you're really desperate and don't have anything to compare this to - maybe it will work for something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Description fixed; mystery parts identified., February 14, 2011
I bought these based on an earlier product description and photo and was surprised when they arrived, as the reflector hoods were bigger and deeper than pictured. They have since changed the picture. Either way, this is an effective tabletop lighting solution. There were no instructions included, which is fine, except that a plastic baggie containing three mystery parts was included. After some close inspection I figured out where they were supposed to fit and have included some detail photos with notes in the "View and share related images" area at the upper left of the product description.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not buy again, August 8, 2011
I bought the lights for about $56 on amazon, when I got them I immediately thought they seemed cheaply made, but they were bright and only $56. They work fine, everything came intact, and I'm very happy with the photos they allowed be to take.

However, the lights are terribly made, after first thinking they seemed cheaply made I notice that the heads don't stay on well and will swivel down whenever possible. There is nut underneath the light fixture that is not tightened enough and even with needle nose pliers it is very had to tighten. After getting it tight I found that even accidentally turning the head partially would cause it to become loose again. One of the bulbs also did something, I'm not sure what, but I had to snap it back into it's base. And the fixtures the hold the bulbs are not firmly held in place as I had expected them to be.

Over all the lights are ok. Great for not having a budget to speak of, but if not for that I would never buy them again and would not recommend them.

EDIT::

Now both of my bulbs have broken after almost nothing. First I knocked over one of the lights while it was in it's lowest position and it fell forward onto a carpet and the bulb broke (and yay mercury leaked out) then I was screwing in the second and it snapped off in my hand before even screwing half way down....today my Cowboy Studio replacement bulbs came (the 4 pack) and they are twice the length of the bulbs that came with the lights, and they don't even light the hood at all, they stick completely out and throw light everywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars product different from Amazon picture, November 9, 2011
Basic functionality is there, but it seems like they cut the production cost by shortening the length of the tripod legs and the depth of the light cup. This sadly creates major design flaws..
Shortened legs makes the light very easy to fall over, and the extended out light bulb (due to the shortened light cup) makes it hard to put filter and light spreads out a lot more than you want.

Overall the size of the product is very small. The thickness of the wire and the size of light bulb on the picture also gives to a false impression of this product making it look bigger than it actually is. Actual size is about 12-15" tall (when extended out)

Still it's good enough for my needs, so I'm keeping it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 45w 5500k cfl's supplied, but works great, January 13, 2012
This was my first dive into making a mini-studio for small photos to use in online selling. I'm very happy with the lights.

As many others have noted, the bulbs supplied were different than advertised, but I'm happy with them. They are 45 watt CFL's with a color temp of 5500k which is midday sunlight.

Every thing was super easy to setup and it all works, nothing broken etc. It is true that the bulbs stick out about an inch past the hoods. First off, just be careful and avoid clutter, tape down extension cords, etc. and you're less likely to knock these over, but also, you may wish to rotate the hood so one of the legs is pointing in the same direction. That way if it falls, it will be going sideways instead of straight forward, and you'll have a better chance of it surviving the fall. If you're clumsy, then anchor it down with something heavy.

Most of all, I'm thrilled with the quality of the pictures produced. Using these with a small popup light tent is working great.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PURCHASE FROM COWBOY STUDIOS!!!, April 29, 2011
DO NOT PURCHASE FROM COWBOY STUDIOS!!!

I purchased (2) of the the Cowboy Studios Table Top Studio Lighting Kits. At the time the item description was (2) lights per kit with stands that extend to 3 feet and contain 50 watt bulbs.

Cowboy Studios sent the wrong items....(2) lights with stands per kit that extend ~ 2 feet and contained 45 watt bulbs.

I contacted Cowboy Studios through Amazon about the mix-up.... Cowboy Studios never responded about rectifying the situation.

I am now the proud owner of (4) lights that are worthless to me as they are too short for my application needs and a product catalog that is behind schedule. Thanks CS...

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

note: should I hear from CS regarding this issue and they make it right, I will post again with the solution presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Table top photo studio lighting kit, June 13, 2010
Evangelio Gonzalez "papa" (Villa Rica, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
The lights arrived on time, in good conditions. As an amateur flower macro photographer I needed better lights to do my macro work, these lights do it. You won't regret buying them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Table top Photo Studio lighting Kit - 2 light kits, April 26, 2010
Jim (Chattanooga, Tennessee, US) - See all my reviews
When I receive these lights, I couldn't wait to try them out. First time using them, very impressed with the quality of my pictures.
I should have purchased these a long time ago. The units seem to be well made and are highly adjustable.
This was a perfect transaction, fast shipping, excellent packing, and great lights.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product but socket not compatibe with Philip light bulbs, January 15, 2011
Sturdy and well made light stances but the legs spread out rather widely for the hight, occupying spaces on the table. One light bulb burned minutes after first use. Excellent light quality, bright and intense. The socket does not work with Philip 42-watt light bulbs that I bought from Home Depot to replace the burned one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality is not great..., March 28, 2014
Items arrived on-time and packaging was secure however one of the lamps has a short in the cord and I am working on how to replace that without too much hassle. So for now I give it the low rating based on quality.
I am appending my original review as the company did respond to resolve my issue very quickly and replaced the lamp. I have updated this from 2 stars to a 4 stars due to hassle factor. The items are not top of the line but do the job I in
tended them for.