5.0 out of 5 stars Durable!
Published on May 23, 2012 by timothy851

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality......confusing dimensions.
Published on November 15, 2011 by Allen R. Beecham

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality......confusing dimensions., November 15, 2011
Allen R. Beecham (Woodstock, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CowboyStudio 6 x 9 Feet Seamless White Vinyl Background (VL-W9) (Electronics)
I've recently been making my un-used formal living room into a small studio. I've researched lights, backgrounds, and technique ad nauseum. Anyway, this CowboyStudio 6 x 9 Feet Seamless White Vinyl Background (VL-W9)is by far the least expensive vinyl background that I could find. I read a few reviews and figured that if the vinyl was not usable for a background, I'd give it to my wife to make banners for our grandson's football games.

Well, I paid for Amazon Prime Next-Day shipping and it arrived on time. But I was a little nervous when the package was longer than 6 feet. To make a long story short, it was rolled onto the cardboard tube in a 9-wide x 6-long fashion, not the other way around, as I had wanted. I thought that was rather silly.....I mean, who needs a 9x6 backdrop? The packaging was a pain to unwrap, although it is very protective. The cardboard tube is not very sturdy and it bent in the middle when I lifted the backdrop after unwrapping the shipping package. The vinyl seemed to be of good quality, so rather than pack the durn thing back up for a refund, I decided to unroll it and put it back on the tube the correct way, i.e. 6-wide x 9-long. I unrolled the backdrop completely, trimmed about 3 feet off the tube, taped one end to the roll (it comes un-attached to the cardboard roll/tube) and carefully rolled it back onto the tube so that it is now 6x9, not 9x6. (Thanks to my wife for her assistance.)

The good news is that the quality is excellent. It is certainly worth the low asking price. I have never seen a Lastolite or other premium vinyl background in person, but this one seems to be good enough for most purposes. Perhaps the more expensive brands are much thicker and will last a lot longer under professional use.

One side is flat white and the other is semi-gloss with just the faintest of shine. So, you can use either side, depending on the effect you are trying to get. There is also some texture to the vinyl, as you can see in the stock photos. The vinyl is nice and thick and seems like it will last if not abused. It's also very WHITE, although it looks rather dull/translucent in the stock photo. It is NOT translucent. It is thick and white. I tested it under my studio LED's and it looks very nice. I should be able to shoot high-key without much effort. One caveat: don't try to use this background unless you have a cross-bar type background stand. The cardboard tubing is not strong enough to keep from bending in the middle without support of the crossbar.

So, if you need an inexpensive white vinyl seamless backdrop in 9x6 (or 6x9), I can recommend this product. Although I am deducting 2 stars: 1 for the 9x6 thing, and the other because the backdrop (at least the one I received) is short by 4 inches on the 9-foot axis and short by 2 inches on the 6-foot axis. It's obviously not wide enough to shoot groups, and it's hardly long enough to shoot a full body shot, except on a munchkin. But at this price, I'm not complaining too much. It'll do fine for head-shots and product photography. If I outgrow my living room and need a bigger white backdrop, at least I know that I can trust the Cowboy Studio vinyl backgrounds when I order my 9x20. Let's just hope that UPS doesn't arrive with a 20-foot long roll !!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Were it the right size, it'd get a better rating, December 28, 2011
Let me say first that the biggest problem you'll have is that if you happen to receive a randomly sized one of these - which is very common with Cowboystudio (they have 0 quality control and they'll tell you sorry after they screw up, but won't try and renumerate you) it's impossible to return it. It comes packaged in this flimsy paper that once it's off, you'll never get it back on.

I kept mine just because I didn't feel like trying to figure out how to rewrap it for UPS to pick it up.

The actual material it's made of is fine. It has texture, but it doesn't show up in photos and doesn't have a reflection. But two big problems. I ordered 6x9 and it's maybe 5x8, maybe. It comes rolled on a flimsy tube WIDEWAYS. Why you'd want something 8 or 9 feet across and five or 6 feet high is beyond me. I ended up making the family I photographed sit on the ground, and even then, it didn't cover the ground beneath their feet. I spent a lot of time photoshopping the white drop cloth I used under their feet match the backdrop. Because of how it's mounted, you can't easily turn it the other way, and it'd most likely warp because it's been stored the opposite way since it was warehoused.

So something that should be a slam dunk because it's SO cheap and it has stated dimensions, ended up a stone around my neck, taking up 9 feet in my dining room. I don't want to get it dirty in the garage and since it comes with no covering or tube of any sort, and since it's so unwieldy long, I can't figure where I'd put it.

Cowboystudio is cheap and often worth the risk, especially through Amazon, but this item will be an albatross and impossible to return if you get one of their randomly sized ones. I think they short you intentionally, knowing you're not going to return it. Buyer beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable!, May 23, 2012
Great product! I'm a location photographer, and I used to lug 10' rolls of paper into people's homes. It would inevitably get wrinkled, torn, and basically ruined after a handful of trips. Price-wise this makes a ton more sense! It is literally undetectable in the photos from a regular roll of paper. I used this roll on some of my portfolio pics on my site if you'd like to see the non-difference! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good., April 19, 2012
I just got this, and I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised.
The quality of the vinyl itself (as mentioned by others) is perfectly fine. No issues at all.
Unlike others, however, mine came in the proper orientation (6x9 as opposed to 9x6) and it is wrapped around a very sturdy cardboard tube (just like the photo for this product suggests).
For shipping, it was wrapped with a super-strong (carbon-fiber-like!) outer wrapping, and then Amazon put it inside a box.

The ONLY (and seriously, the _only_) negative (and, really - this is probably how you'd want it) is that it's not affixed to the cardboard roll, so when I hung it on the backdrop stand, gravity helped me unroll it, and it dropped completely to the floor: off of the roll... like it should have! I thought at first that I'd like to have a pocket, or sleeve for the backdrop bar to run through, but I'll always store this guy on the cardboard tube, so the solution? Tape it to the tube, and Bob's your uncle.

Don't worry about the quality, shipping or orientation of this backdrop. My experience was very, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price!, August 27, 2012
I bought the white 6x9 vinyl backdrop for my smash cake photo sessions. It works great! I've had it covered in bright blue frosting and it washed right off. I taped the vinyl on to the cardboard tube it came on, and then I just slip the tube on to my homemade PVC pipe stand. Well worth the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, April 30, 2012
I use this every week. Transport it at least once a month.

For the cost its worth it. It does "dent" easily, but the "dents" usually come out just as easily. Gets dirty, easily wiped clean. The sides are starting to fray a bit after just a few months use.

Overall a good value for the dollar.

NOTE: I changed my roll from wide to tall which made it good for the average single or couple photo. Usually 3/4 shots, sitting down or headshots.

Not great for tall people (standing from feet to head). For groups it doesn't fit them all unless you change the roll to be wide instead of tall.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a money saver!, June 13, 2012
I installed this screen using .5" conduit, bike hooks, and clips to secure it. It works beautifully and is extremely wrinkle resistant. This is much more resilient than paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back drop, May 8, 2012
Great product. Exactly what I was hoping for, vinyl and easy to clean if needed with no chance of wrinkling. Good size for smaller shoots. Very fast shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, paper is still better, June 29, 2012
I purchased this because I shoot a lot on white paper and I was looking to cut down on the waste and expense of traditional seamless. For the record, I have not owned any other brand of vinyl before so I can only compare this to paper.

As it turns out, this is only slightly more expensive than a single roll of 10' paper. Be warned that this does not ship in a rigid tube like most papers do, it comes wrapped in a "tarp" like material. You should unroll the whole thing and let the wrinkles come out for a day or so and then carefully roll it back up. I would highly recommend storing it in an old paper tube, or buying a section of PVC to store it in. Also, the core that this comes on is not strong enough to support the weight of the paper (mine came kinked) and will not allow the background to hang without wrinkles on most background supports. I would recommend getting a length of emt conduit from your local hardware store so the it will hang straight without wrinkles.

The vinyl itself has a shiny side and a matte side, this is a great feature if you want to shoot pure white sometimes and gray others.

The material is fairly easy to wash with a sponge and plain water/soapy water, just make sure it is completely dry before packing it up.

Definitely get the 20' length, it is shocking how often you will need the extra height.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than reviews, December 25, 2013
This product dose the job!! No problems at all. I read the other reviews, some people said negative things about this product.
I do professional video and photography and you want not be sorry for buying this product, at this price point. Nothing last forever
you will more than make you money back before you wear out this product if you take care of it!!!

CowboyStudio 6 x 9 Feet Seamless White Vinyl Background (VL-W9)
$46.96