4.0 out of 5 stars Functional inexpensive boom stand
Published on October 17, 2009 by Charles Enfield

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly made with cheap materials
the extension grips don't hold, the inner springs are just in there and do nothing, the weight is locked in one position.

not worth half the price.
Published 14 months ago by parker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional inexpensive boom stand, October 17, 2009
Charles Enfield (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CowboyStudio Pro Video Counter Weight Boom Set with Light Stand, Boom Arm and Counter Weight (Electronics)
This is a good sized boom stand at a very reasonable price. I had to adjust two of the quick releases, but everything worked fine once adjusted. The quick releases aren't very well designed, but they do work. If they are tight enough to lock the tubes in place, they are difficult to operate. The stand is stable with my 4-pound studio strobe head on the boom, though it does flex considerably. The base is spring-cushioned. It is about 40" long when collapsed and doesn't fit in any of my accessory bags, which hinders portability. One thing I like is that in a few minutes with basic tools you can remove the top section from the base and slide the boom in. This turns it into an 11'+ vertical stand. In a way you get two stands for the price of one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the studio, December 7, 2010
E. Rosenberg (Norfolk, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Recently purchased this boom arm after taking Don Giannatti's Lighting Essentials workshop. Liked the idea that it had a counterweight and after using it with a softbox was pleased with its rigidity and construction. I agree with others that it is not the most portable (especially with the 12lbs counterweight attached. But take that off and it is not a "studio only" piece of gear - my intention in fact is to use it in the field and use the counterweight to train for the shot put! Seriously, I was very surprised at what you get for the money. I especially like the ability to put a flash on the main stand with another at the end of the boom. One additional light stand and you've got a great three light setup for doing groups or family portraits. I think I will invest in a StandBagger carrying bag to take all this gear around. The original roll-up bag looks to be the best for this lightstand since the arm is quite long. Why didn't I give this product a 5-star rating? Well, it has some plastic parts that look a bit breakable (another reason to transport in a protected bag), the crankhandle on the counterweight had some misaligned threads so won't go on (but really, you don't need it, it stays put (no pun intended), and raising and lowering the stand when the boom is extended seems to place some side friction and I suspect the tubing will wear at this point. But, for the price, this boom is a steal and if it lasts a few years or more it's worth the money...and the "shot" will last forever and put me in great shape!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality for the money, December 2, 2011
In the past I have owned a Manfrotto Boom Stand with their lead counterweight. It was a work horse and I missed it a lot when it was stolen. When I was ready to replace it I decided to go with this Cowboy Studio model because I have purchased some of their stands and have been impressed with the quality of them. The stand that comes with this kit is better than I anticipated. The tubes are really large and solid and the locks for the two sections have a flip-type switch which is really quick and convenient. There is also a quick release socket on the top of the stand with could be helpful if I wanted to mount a light or another accessory on the top of it. The weight is solid but it did not lock as well onto the boom as I would like.

The only thing that disappointed me was that the bracket that attached the boom arm to the light stand is made out of plastic where my old Manfrotto/Bogen bracket was made of metal. The plastic connector may last as long but it doesn't adjust as easily to the exact position that I want it in. Still, I am very happy with this product and would recommend it to those on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well spent money., August 15, 2011
I bought this after researching lots of different stands at a wide variety of costs. This one is a great deal. Well made and seems pretty durable. It's not a top notch stand, but also not the price. I honestly plan on buying a few more. Best $60-ish dollars I've spent in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Value, May 16, 2012
When I first ordered this stand, I was expecting something decent but not over the top because the "pro" term in equipment is thrown around so much, but once I received it i was extremely happy, first off, the tubing is just as beefy as it looks on the picture, but the counterweight, which looks like cheap plastic on the pic is actually cast metal and it is fully adjustable. This stand can hold up lights and microphones, and if you're so inclined even a tripod head with a lightweight camcorder for some sweet overhead shots, just don't try to use it as a crane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds AlienBees 800 & 22" beauty dish!, January 30, 2014
First of all, CowboyStudio needs to double box the item if not Amazon. I'm surprised that the box didn't tear apart as it had number of holes and the adjusting knob you see for the weight didn't fall out of the box (as it comes detached). Right there alone I have to deduct a star.

With that said, the counterweight works really well (10lbs) and counter balance my strobe perfectly. I just balance the position of the boom arm to stabilize the weight. If you want to position the strobe out further you'll probably want to get extra weights. Adjusting the height is easy to do and overall setup took less than a minute minus installing the AB800 and the beauty dish I just received.

You can of course adjust the boom to position in any direction; high above or much lower which is one thing I was looking to do. The counterweight is also easy to adjust and is all metal construction including the plate that secures to the boom arm. The knob itself is plastic but has metal insert. I have a feeling it's probably best not to over tighten this knob.

While the light stand doesn't go up very high it's probably to reduce flex with heavier equipment. If you have Speedlite or equivalent off-shoe flash (like the Yongnuo/Nissin/Nikon/Phottix, etc) this will be more than a perfect setup to have flexibility with the lighting. On top/end of the light stand comes with another metal insert where you can attach another flash or screw in a Speedlite.

I'll be honest here, if I were to use this setup frequently WITH the strobe & beauty dish I will likely buy Matthews or other heavy duty commercial light stand. But for Speedlite and equivalent flash with an umbrella or small to medium softbox then it should be more than enough. You're definitely not going to need the 10lb weight attached with such setup.

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly made with cheap materials, May 30, 2013

not worth half the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, February 18, 2014
I was surprised of the quality of this item, considering its price. I'm using mine non-professionally as an overhead speedlight stand. It is quickly and easily adjustable. The movable counterweight works well to keep it stable. I don't think it would hold up very long under daily professional use, do to its plastic components and lighter-weight tubing. But with reasonable care, I think it will last me a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boom stand, December 28, 2013
Here are my first impressions after receiving and setting up this stand once. I'll update if my impressions change with additional usage.

About me: I'm a part-time pro, shooting a handful of weddings and 20-30 portrait sessions a year, about half of them inside. I have only hotshoe flashes, no studio strobes.

The materials used in this stand and boom are the same heavy duty quality as Cowboy studio background stands I own. On the stand, the only plastic is a single thumb screw handle. On the boom--no plastic. The counterweight is beefy and solid. I had to loosen the hex nuts so that it could be moved/removed on the boom, using the handle to lock it in place.

As others have noted, the grip head is plastic. Under light-weight use, it will very likely do the job fine. I loaded my stand up with the counterweight, a hotshoe softbox, a flash and a trigger. Then I set it to a 45 degree angle, and extended the boom arm. The grip head held just fine. Will it last over hundreds of uses? I don't know.

But at this price, its a good deal even if you throw the plastic one away and buy a replacement grip head. I've got a Kupo on the way

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Damaged, December 23, 2013
David C. Crowell (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This was a Christmas gift for my father. The frame is lightweight, but weight is will counter a lot of items positioned on the other end. The weight, however, was loose in the packaging and completely destroyed the box in transit. The end cap to the boom was broken off and there was a large gash in the boom.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›