5.0 out of 5 stars Good for occasional use
A few years ago I put together a homebrew set of lights using the bases of two cheap torchiere lamps and clamp lights. When I saw these lights I kicked myself... it actually cost more to build the hombrew system than it did to purchase this set!

Published on December 14, 2010 by Ford Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked okay 3/5
It was cheap and does an okay job, I had to buy much larger lights. The stands are the best part, and note that you will need to buy more lights. Very dim lights that come with it.
Published on July 18, 2011 by D. Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for occasional use, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Cowboystudio 4 Piece Continuous Photography /Video Studio Digital Lighting Kit with Umbrellas and Background Lights (Electronics)

The stands are more durable than I expected at this price. They are easy to set up and sturdy. The only problem I've had is the end caps keep popping out of the smaller stands (easily fixed with a dab of glue.) The umbrellas provide a nice diffused light. As others have mentioned... the bulbs are not bright enough for a typical portrait set up. But they are fine for closer 'light box' product shots. For my use I will supplement this setup with some daylight flourescent bulbs that are more than 100watts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for a professional set up, August 24, 2011
I was fairly skeptical when purchasing these lights. They look decent in the pictures, with quality stands/umbrellas, a large carrying case, and decent lights. I realize the power on the lights won't be great, so I intend on purchasing more powerful lights, if I need them.

Initial reaction: Pretty much what i expected. It came well packaged, everything inside the case and no broken bulbs. The 2 tall stands are very tall, could even be used to light hair with some tweaking of the umbrella. The umbrellas are decent, nice and white, light, but fairly small(32"). The 2 short stands are very short. Maybe 3' max. The light sockets are okay, plasticky but fairly sturdy. Since the lights and umbrellas are pretty light-weight, the strength of the system is not a huge problem. If using them outside, you might want to add some weight to the bottom of the stands since this whole thing could easily blow away.

In practice: This kit totally changed the game. In a sealed, dark studio room I was able to use just the 2 lights with umbrellas to light a decent portrait. (although I was shooting very wide; 1.8, 2, and 2.8) At f/4, to shoot at high shutter speeds (1/120 and faster), you will have to add more light. I first used the small stands with lights, but since they are on the floor in an empty room, the only added some fill light and not the wanted soft-contrast look that I was going for.
Now this part is where i modified this system to shoot all 4 bulbs through 2 umbrellas: Each head(light sockets) can attach to 1 stand and 1 umbrella, but oddly enough you can attach all other heads to a single umbrella (being very careful not to add too much stress to the umbrella pole). So I played around with this, and as you can imagine, 2 lights on one stand, and 2 on the other create very even, professional lighting. My favorite is actually having 3 on 1 stand, and 1 on the other, creates excellent dynamic light.

Pros: PRICE!; sturdy light-weight stands; 4 bulbs for cheap; good color lights/umbrella; lots of options; good case; long power cables; professional look; option to put multiple lights behind 1 umbrella; easy setup.

Cons: Fairly weak bulbs; umbrellas might seem flimsy, and reflect a lot of light(lose light); need to create separators/individual cases for bulbs in bag.

Some more things I wish came with this: Reflective umbrella; higher-wattage bulbs; extra stands could be smaller.
I will probably create a modifier to reduce the amount of light lost behind/around the bulb. It will be a salad bowl, painted white/silver on the inside and placed behind the fixture so that the light bulb is between this bowl and the umbrella. This will increase it's efficiency greatly.

All in all, this is a great product for the price, and would highly recommend it to any amateur photographer looking to boost their image/light quality and professional look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price!, September 29, 2010
Got it early today, no instructions, but super easy to set up. Tried a few shots tonight and the results were great! You can't get any better for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Set, August 24, 2010
This has been a good lighting set. I've taken alot of nice pics with it and the quality is good for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read the reviews and I'll tell you why I picked this..., February 29, 2012
This IS a good place to start! I read sooooo many reviews before chosing this. I'll tell you what I did to solve people's "cons." first, the stands are sturdy. I was worried about setting it up with no directions. Not hard. Just take your time. Why are people complaining about the sockets that you screw the bulbs into? No problem sturdy.

My concern was losing light via thin umbrellas. I couldn't decide if I should go with the soft box style instead. So based on the hundred or do reviews I read on like products, I formulated a plan, and it worked like a champ! I bought this set, and then the pair so umbrella shaped soft boxes from Kaeser, Kaeser and Jenson. It's the PBL Photo Studio 40" umbrella soft box. (see link below) It was $30 for the pair. It all arrived and I found that truly the cowboy umbrellas were hardly effective for anything other than a decoration that will make your family and friends think that you are some kind of pro. But, I put the soft boxes on and with that silver reflective inside...tah dah! Let there be light! I didn't even need to get a higher watt bulb. Even when I do get a higher watt, these are useful still. like reviewers suggest about Kaesers product, the umbrella rod is a little long. It's an easy cut with a simple power tool, and a metal file. Go for it.

If you're looking for a value package for a modest set easy enough for a beginner to throw together, try my two step plan. I'm happy and my videos came out great. Summary, don't plan on these umbrellas and you'll be fine. Go elsewhere for those.

Finally, the bag even fits my soft boxes, and extension cord and power surge strip. It works fine.

PBL Photo Studio 40" Reflective Umbrella Softbox Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent except for bulbs, June 6, 2011
At this price, this set can not be beat. It is an excellent product for keying or soft light for any scene and they weight nothing. The stands are also better than most I've gotten at higher prices.

We use it for video, so if its sufficient for video, it's perfect for photography. They give off a beautiful soft light.

My only quirk is the bulbs the kit comes with. I had to replace two of them because they would start flickering (after 20 min use) with Home Depot lights: $5 for a set of two rated at 100W 5000K vs the 5500K these are rated, although there is absolutely no difference, so these are probably not rated accurately. Nonetheless, they look great and are bright enough.

All in all, as I said before, this kit is well worth it and exceeded all our expectations. At this price, you could buy 10 of these and get a kit that would light as good as most professional kits (in a studio set-up of course).

4.0 out of 5 stars good enough for the price, March 19, 2011
It's not that bright. Don't mistake this for a professional light kit. But I definitely get better shots with this than just relying on my camera's flash or even a dedicated flash. For the price I am very impressed. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend this product for any amateur photographer on a small budget that wants to improve their indoor portrait and product shots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, but..., June 4, 2011
Buying the Four light set was wise for me, as many of my 'sets' cover a larger than normal area, so having the 3rd and 4th lights helped a great deal. The stands are of decent quality, the bulbs all worked on arrival, and the packaging was extremely well done - so much so that I pretty much keep the gear in ALL it's original boxes, which fit perfectly into the case.
The biggest 'Failure' of this package lies in the umbrellas: The shafts on them are SO cheaply made that even the slightest bit of tightening of the set screws will cave-in the wall of the tubing. They REALLY could have spent another 50 cents per to get a heavier gauge metal tubing and ensure a MUCH longer life from these diffusers.
Other than that, I am quite happy with my purchase, and will likely buy from this Merchant again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Budget Filmmakers Take Note!, May 24, 2011
I was going to go with the hardware store light setup like most "no budget" productions, but then I stumbled upon this 4 light kit for less. Paired these with a 9'x15' greenscreen in my guest bedroom and now I have the perfect visual effects studio. Have already made my money back and so much more with the hits I'm cranking out. Bulbs ARE bright enough to achieve a perfect key in After Effects without much tweaking. Plugged these into a switch power strip so I can turn them all on or off at once.

If you want to be a mini Spielberg this kit is a step in the right direction. Lights! Camera! Action!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real bargain, June 29, 2011
This is my second light kit purchased from Cowboy Studios. The first is now just left set up in my studio and the second is used for shoots at indoor assignments. The cost and the light weight make the kit ideal for easy and fast loading, unloading, and setting up. Be sure to make sandbags as part of your gear as it doesn't take much to tip over the lights. I don't know how long these light-duty stands will take being set up and torn down frequently, but if something breaks, I'll just throw it away and buy another. The prices are right to do just that.