Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CowboyStudio Umbrella Mount Bracket with Swivel Tilt Bracket for Nikon and Canon 430EX E580EX SB600 SB800 SB900
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 20, 2010
I'm not sure what the other reviews where talking about when they said 'all metal'. Obviously the shoe mount is metal as are the screws but the main body is all hard plastic. Which isn't all bad if you're worried about weight (but probably not as durable as a metal design). The top mount works as expected (in my case I'm mounting a transceiver and then my 580EX II on top of that). What seems out of whack is the design for the umbrella holder. There is a flat spring in the hole meant to hold the umbrella steady (I can see what they were going for here, my other brackets have a simple flaw, the umbrella always either works itself loose or you put huge gouges in the umbrella shaft from cranking down on the screw to hold it in place). However, the spring just so happens to line up with the side of the spring with the umbrella is in the hole. So instead of holding the umbrella in place, the screw just tightens on the spring. Not real helpful. So in the end I did what I've had to do so many times before with this type of equipment, rig up my own solution. Essentially, to make it work, you need to get a small piece of pvc or copper pipe, (about 1/8" or less in thickness) cut it in half, then cut a portion of that off to fit into gap in the hole for the umbrella. That pushes the umbrella shaft up higher into the spring and allows the screw to engage correctly and tighten everything down. If only the 'engineer' that designed this had tested it before they started shipping it. I guess for $10 that's about what you'd expect.
33 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2011
Good design, yet when I tried to mount it on my light stand the umbrella holder literally fell apart in my hands. The quality of plastic is sub-par.
on February 25, 2013
Solid metal bracket, excellent build quality. Most of what I was finding when I searched for this bracket where cheap plastic. This is around the same price as the plastic ones, but much better build quality
on June 26, 2010
I bought this swivel flash bracket so I can use my Vivitar DF383 flashguns with my Photogenic studio light stands. The picture you see from Amazon.com does not do this handy device justice! Be sure to see my pictures! It's made of a high impact plastic, came with a double sided 3/8" to 1/4" mount, with a flash hotshoe mount for my flashes. The angle adjustment handle is spring-loaded so you can turn it independently if you need to change the grip's direction or use it to hang things on it (ie: Cowboy Studio NPT-04 wireless triggers, bungies, extra powerpack, etc). It has a racheting swivel for smooth angle changes and the umbrella mount is great with a solid metal set screw. Great buy!
review image review image
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 24, 2011
This review is based on the version shown in the picture - it sounds like some people might have gotten slightly different versions of it.

I bought this because it was cheap! It often gets re-branded and sold for about 7 bucks (so I wouldn't pay much more).

First some information:

The main piece has a 1/4" male thread on the top and 3/8" female thread on the bottom.

The coldshoe is all plastic and has a 1/4" female threading on the bottom (metal threading). The 1/4" female to 3/8" male adapter is aluminum.

The 1/4" to 3/8" adapter can go on the bottom, so you can connect it to a 1/4" threading (like a tripod) if you don't have a 3/8" threading. Great little thing, but it gets stuck EASILY and can be terribly to remove. I own 6 of these and need to use a pliers to remove the adapter (it's so thin that trying to take it off with your fingers will just hurt. I'm not sure WHY it's like this, but it's been an issue with all of them). Manfrotto makes a much better adapter (but costs about the same as this ballhead): Manfrotto 088 Stand 1/4-20-Inch Female to 3/8-Inch Male 20mm Long Adapter - Replaces 3103

If you plan to permanently attach the adapter, it's fine. It's only when you need to take it apart (for example, moving from a tripod to a lightstand) that it's an issue, and on location it can prevent you from being able to do that.

The coldshoe is a nice idea, but is also filled with problems. There is no hole for the flashes locking pin to connect to (the locking pin being the thing that keeps it from falling out). It's just a flat/smooth piece and trying to tighten the flash can damage the locking pin. Another problem is that it won't work with flashes like the 580EXII which has a rubber weathersealing around the back (it won't fit with this piece). You're better off using the plastic 'stand' that comes with your flash -- if you use this one (which you can't lock the flash into) and have it angled upwards to use the umbrella, it could (and likely will) fall out.

Next problem - the umbrella hole. Not sure who designed this, but it's a straight hole. Umbrella holes should be angled on one side (so the umbrella is angled and the flash hits the center - this one is straight, so the flash hits off-center and isn't as efficient.

So basically just about everything on this is broken, right?

Not quite. It does have a redeeming quality and that's as a ballhead for your flash.

Throw this on a superclamp, a lightstand, a tripod and use your flashes stand (or something like a Stroboframe Accessory Shoe and only use it for a ballhead to angle your flash. For that, it works great! It's only when you try to use the included coldshoe, 1/4" -> 3/8" adapter or the umbrella hole that it has problems. This cheap-ballhead-for-a-flash is the reason I own 6, and for that I'd recommend it.
on May 9, 2011
At first, I liked the design of the top bracket. It is similar to the Stroboframe design. After using it a half-dozen times though, I found a major flaw! The thumb screw that tightens the bracket stripped and now it is unusable! Obviously, they used very cheap components! Say away from this one and pay a little more to get better quality!
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2014
A mount bracket is a pretty generic piece of equipment with at least several manufacturers. This one has a tightening screw that is a bit fragile. The screw broke pretty quickly when trying to tighten something down. Otherwise it fits and does its job.
on March 5, 2011
This flash/umbrella holder is cheap. It broke the first time I used it. While attaching it to the lightstand, the base of the product - which is plastic - snapped in half. The product has been unusable ever since. I am very dissatisfied.

I have since purchased a Manfrotto umbrella holder to replace it. MUCH BETTER! Do yourself a favor and fork out the extra money for a high quality ALL-METAL Umbrella/Flash holder.
on January 17, 2012
Ordered product for portrait photography. Product is sturdy and just what I was looking for in an off the camera mount for my external flash unit and umbrella. Great price!
on January 28, 2014
I paid half as much as I paid for a speedlight mount that I bought at a local camera store, and feel like I got twice my monies worth. This mount is built very well, I am very happy with it. The umbrella shaft hole is angled, to help center the umbrella in front of the flash, and the swivel part of the head is built very strong, absolutely no chance of it slipping once the umbrella is mounted and the head is tightened. When I get more lights this is the only mount I will buy.