Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cowgirl Poetry : One Hundred Years of Ridin' and Rhymin'
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on April 6, 2001
Cowgirl Poetry edited by Virginia Bennett is without a doubt one of the best selections of poetry by real Cowgirls available anywhere. With a diverse collection of many writing styles and subjects dear to the hearts of the writers. I found "The Edge" by Debra Coppinger Hill a particularly compelling piece and her "Yellow Slicker" is destined to become a classic. The lighthearted fun of finding the right man is handled so well by Dee Strickland Johnson in "Tomboy", that all women will identify with it. Editor Virginia Bennet's "All That is Left" has such a wonderful haunting quality that carves an indelable image that will follow you for days. A good book for those who are new to Cowboy/Cowgirl Poetry, because it contains some of the best authors available today. It will inspire you to search for more works by the individual authors. Perfect size for carrying in a purse or brief case. A real bargain for the price.
I have had a passion for good poetry most of my life. However, I do not like the so-called modern "free verse" poetry form with their meaningless and boring prose. This is why I stay away from most modern day poetry publications except for the Haiku journals. My favorites are the old time legendary poets, but I have found that Cowboy and Cowgirl poetry are pure beautiful Americana.

There is more meaningful prose in those western poets than any of the intellectual snobs pretending to be poets at most eastern universities. I had just completed a volume of the Cowboy poets which I loved and I just finished this fantastic (Cowgirl Poetry) book. I enjoyed this volume even better than the Cowboy poetry. This volume covers a wide range of western topics. The poetry is beautiful and heartfelt. Unlike the junk poetry praised today, not for its beauty and symmetry, but for its endless and meaningless excessive verbiage, Cowgirl (and Cowboy) poetry is a joy and pleasure to read. You can actually understand and feel what the poet is trying to tell you when reading this book.

The sections include the following: Those who've gone before, Growing up western, A cowgirl and her horse, A cowgirl and her work, Living with nature and animals, The heart of a cowgirl, Love of the land and the lifestyle and Observations on life and men. These ladies are wonderful poets and if you have never read Cowboy or Cowgirl poetry you are in for a treat. This is poetry that is actually fun to read.

In conclusion, if you are seeking a truly American type of poetry you need to read this book. You will discover true beautiful and unique poetry that is part of our American western heritage.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Haiku Moments: How to read, write and enjoy haiku)
on January 28, 2013
I purchased "Cowgirl Poetry" after hearing the Grandson of one of the Poets read his Grandmother's poem, after her death. It moved me so much, that I had to have more ! This little paperback is a treasure trove ! I have never even considered this side of what it feels like, how it moves the soul, to actually live, love, marry and raise children in the Western Culture.I am delighted with this unusual book !
on February 24, 2016
I received this as a gift and really like it. "Our last ride" is a favorite. There are so many good poems.
I also like this book in this genre. Cowboy Rhymes 'n' Dreams of Other Times
on May 20, 2001
Fans of poetry and cowgirls will find Cowgirl Poetry a lively collection of cowgirl poets who write about life on the range and the work of the ranch. From funny quips and long humorous poems to serious observations of the struggles of ranch life, Cowgirl Poetry is a fine collection.
on January 18, 2015
Excellent!!! Mama cowgirl's point of view!!! I tell you, you will be surprised and fulfilled and edified and satisfied and emotionally engaged and wrapped up and just plain giggling sometimes!!!
on January 9, 2007
A whole lot of talent in one little book. Awesome poetry that speaks to the cowgirl heart.
on January 9, 2015
Nice little book, full of good poetry.