Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

on December 30, 2011
I keep my eyes open for music players that have large storage capacity and very good audio quality.

My favorite player has been the Sony NWZ-S739F (the 16GB version that was never sold in the US). The Sony is about as close to a perfect player as I could hope for: Small, good display, superior tactile controls, SensMe (some people think that is a gimmick, but it scans your music and groups it into different "moods), good battery life, and good noise cancelling ear-buds. But one of these days it will pass on (or the battery will conk out). I also have my original NWZ-S738F (8GB) but that means more managing of my tunes.

Cowon is a bit of an under-the-radar manufacturer, but has a strong following among people who are looking for good audio quality and a wider range of playback formats (MP3/2, WMA, OGG, APE, WAV, & FLAC). TheiAudio 10 has 39 playback presets (35 preset & 4 User), including several different BBE setups.

Cowon is very much into the aesthetics of the players they sell, so you get a sleek design and interesting graphics in the interface.

Listening is excellent. I'm still trying different ear-buds and headphones, and I have a coast-to-coast flight coming up that should be a good test. But the interface is more logical then the Creative 32GB player I have, and the audio is superior.

Pro: Sleek design; great audio; tactile volume control and on/off switch; BBE; effective presets.

Con: Proprietary USB; touchpad (screen is not a touch screen) is too sensitive; no tactile feedback on touchpad (so you have to look at what you're doing too often; JetAudio doesn't yet list cords for this unit; nothing to hang it with.

Wishlist: Gel cover with neck strap loop.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
I bought this mp3 player about 6 months ago, and waited to review it to make sure I could give good advice. I love this mp3 player, couldn't be happier with it, and would definitely buy it again.
Basics: the size is good- easy to hold in your hand, light, but not fragile, and sturdy. The screen is high quality, I've watched a few short videos on it and it looks as good a screen this size can. The touchscreen is good, and you can change the sensitivity in the menu. I love that it has buttons on the side for volume and hold, so you don't mess with anything while it's in your pocket. The battery life is good- if I use it every day, I charge it once every week or two weeks.
Sound: the sound quality is really good, though the kit headphones aren't that great. I replaced them with semi-cheap good ones, and the quality is fantastic. There are a ton of options for changing the audio, there are a lot of preset settings, and you can make a bunch of your own too.
Menu and useage: I read some earlier reviews that say the menu is not intuitive- I have not had this problem at all. I think if you have any experience with mp3 players at all, it's very straightforward and easy to use. There are discrete displays on the screen corresponding to the buttons, telling you what each does on every screen. Customizing the settings is easy and there are lots of options, including changing all the colors (which I think is really cool). The radio and playlist options are great, though I generally just shuffle everything. The only complaint I have for the entire player is the lack of an option to search for songs, scrolling through the entire list can be tedious (but not awful). That aside, there are a lot of other ways to find your music- you can search by song title (long list), artist, album, folder (the ones you can create on the computer when you transfer music into the folder, it shows up like a flash drive folder), and genre (not as helpful). I really like being able to shuffle within any folder- not just one album, but also the whole list of songs by one artist or one genre or one folder. I have not had any problems with freezing or breaking down or anything at all actually.

Overall, I was nervous about a lesser-known brand, but it had all the features I wanted, including a ton of memory for the price range, so I gave it a chance. It's been great for me, great sound quality, easy to use and customize, and no problems. If this one ever breaks, I'll get another.
on February 28, 2012
I am a new customer to Cowon's music players, so if I misunderstood a feature or such let me know!

This is the review for the Cowon iAudio 10 32GB. I originally owned a 30GB iPod Classic for 5 years before deciding on purchasing a product other than Apple's. I came upon this product and was told it was known to have great audio quality, better than the iPod's.

Installation: The great thing about this product is that, unlike Apple, it doesn't require its own music program to sync to the player. I fully charged the player, transferred my music through Windows Media Player straight to it. It is not as fast syncing as with with the iPod in iTunes, but quality is what you pay for and boy does this player deliver! Note: Due to it not having its own program, you will not be notified of online updates for the player. You will have to go to the Cowon Global site to check for updates.

Audio: On the normal audio settings, the music doesn't stand out as much but the player offers numerous sound types. They include the usual Rock, Pop, Dance, but there's some that completely will enhance how your music sounds: BBE and BBE VIVA. I don't know how they work, but your music is taken to the next level! You will hear sounds in songs you never thought were there! One other audio feature I found very cool was a setting called Reverb where your music will sound like it is literally being played Live! Overall, the sound settings and what you can do with your music is amazing!

Nice additions: You can add pictures, documents, and there's also a sound recorder in the player.

Video: This is the area I've had trouble with lately. I transfer my videos in the right format onto the player, yet every time I play them on my player, the audio is not in sync with the video. Now I know this is a fairly new product and there's not many updates to the player as of yet. Maybe this will be fixed in the near future with an update, or else if you think I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Getting Use To: I am a fast learner, but for some others who have owned iPods this player may not be as easy to use or get use to. There are seven touch buttons total on the player for going through your music and such. On the display it shows what each option you have with each button. However, the text appearing for the options is very tiny. The buttons for the volume are on the side of the player, similar to a cell phone's volume buttons. On the opposite side is the hold button: Press once to lock your player, press again to close the display of the player while also locking it as well.

Usability: You can't fast scroll through your list of songs/artist/albums. All you can do is hold down the down button and wait for your desired title to show up. This may frustrate people who are in a hurry and such.

If you want clean crisp music and that is all you care about, this music player is for you. It has a lot to be desired for the other aspects, but the music quality hands down gives it four stars in my book! It is far from a perfect product, but I'm sure with updates it'll become even better and fix some of these issues!

UPDATE 1/9/2012 Look in the comments for extra information about the iAudio10 that I missed. There's even more customization than I originally thought!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2012
I ordered the iAUDIO 10 media player back in May. It was delivered within two days, was easy to use, and the sound quality was phenomenal; unlike anything I've ever heard on an iPOD. A month into ownership the welcome screen froze and would not go to the home screen. No amount of reboots fixed it and the user manual yielded no solutions. I sent e-mails to the manufacturer, Cowan and the seller, JetAudio with no responses. is letting me return the media player (even though it is out of the 30 day return window) and I won't know what my refund will be until the whole thing is processed. At this point I don't have any other options. So much for trying an Apple alternative. I paid $184.99 for a piece of crap. Purchase at your own risk. Hopefully you don't end up with a dud like I did.
on March 14, 2013
I've owned my Cowon iAudio 10 for over 3 months now, so I think it's time I write a simple review. This review will mostly talk about the music features, since I hardly use video or audio books.

-The UI does indeed take some getting used to, but I honestly don't have any problems with it besides what I list in the cons section
-The USB cord is non-standard, but I have never had any problems with it being loose in my USB ports or anything like that
-It hasn't broken yet, and my screen has froze only one or two times. Restarting it fixed the issue though, so it's not a problem.
-The paper instruction manual is terrible, but a more in-depth digital copy is located inside of the device
-Users complained of being unable to deactivate the Sleep feature, they are wrong, you can.

-It looks really really sleek, and the customizable colors are wonderful
-There are many cool and unique EQ settings, including several types of intense Reverb
-It is compatible with my 3rd party Media Player (MusicBee)
-Volume control is in the form of physical buttons
-It has unique functions like "Increase/Decrease Play Speed" and "Point A to Point B loop"
-Supports FLAC and many other audio formats
-The headphones that came with it had nice audio quality (but the fuzzy casing on them fell of after only a month of use)
-The seek's (fast-forward/Rewind) skip interval is customizable

-I haven't found any way to use Star Ratings. It appears the device doesn't support them
-There is no alphabetical scrolling feature, so be prepared to do A LOT of scrolling
-It does not have a way to sort by Album Artist
-The only protective case available for it is extremely ugly, taking away from the sleek design
-For its price, it should at least have Bluetooth or some sort of wireless support.
-It was a pain for me to convert a video to the correct resolution for my player, but its doable (I used Windows Movie Maker).

In conclusion, I do not regret my purchase, and I really like the player. But, for what I paid for it, it should definitely have a few more features.
on August 7, 2012
Actually I'd give it 3.5 STARS. While this is a solid device, I've found myself struggling with it on a few occasions.

Firstly, I bought this item because I was desperate. There are hardly any MP3 players 32GB+ available for a cheap price that aren't Microsoft or Apple. I needed one pronto because my 16GB Samsung Q2 crashed and died on me (RIP baby). Syncing my music to the device was more of the same-old: Plug it in, open media player, click "yes" on permanently sync device, sync music library to the device, go watch a movie till it's done.

Now for anyone who uses Windows Media Player (regardless of what version) you know very well that it tends to jack up your music when doing this (i.e. wrong titles, artists and album art). I know that this isn't the fault of the device. I just wanted to make sure you guys knew that too! So after syncing music, the next step is to spend hours manually fixing and updating your collection and making sure that it carried over to your device...*sigh*.

After all that's done, I have to say that the audio quality is very awesome. I love the external speaker, which is very clear and loud. Yet I find the 7 touch buttons a hassle. I'm familiar with this setup because Samsung uses it, but their setup doesn't go overboard. You have an up, down, left, right, enter--that's it. This one...sometimes I get frustrated with the buttons but that maybe a "still getting to know you" issue. The buttons sometimes change functions depending on what screen you're on which can be very confusing.

Another little quip I have is the scrolling. It would be nice if the device had a more advanced scrolling system considering that it's a WHOPPING 32GB DEVICE!!! Imagine slowly scrolling through who knows how many artists, songs, etc. to find a song located in the "S" section, later wanting to go find a song in the "H" section? It takes too long.

Another thing that just boggles my mind is this: why can't I create a playlist directly from the device? I know this isn't a Samsung, but the MP3 players I've had before were not as advanced and could still create playlists. I could hear a song that I wasn't aware I had, like it, add it to a playlist directly on my device within seconds, even as I'm listening to the song! With this device you can only create playlist on a computer using, say Windows Media Player (my old friend), then transfer them to the MP3 player...but that's way to simple! On the device you have to go into settings, system, change the USB from MSC to MTP (whatever that means) for the playlists to sync. Updating playlists can be a hassle as well.

The most scariest point while owning this device was when it the froze up. It's only done this twice on me but still, something to consider. The first time it froze, I'd had it for about 40 days. It lasted about an hour and a half before unfreezing. The second time it froze, maybe about 2 months owning it, it stayed like that from about 2am to ?? sometime after 8am. I went to work so I had no idea when it unfroze but when I got home that evening it was okay.

I don't have issues with it every second but when I do, they tend to stick in my mind. Considering how young the device is I shouldn't be having any problems. Just know that if you get this MP3 player, you MAY run into these issues every once in a while. If not, then good for you. But if you don't a lot of money it can be easy to overlook these flaws/quirks. I'm holding onto it but I've got one eye open to other replacements just in case.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2012
I was an owner of the previous Cowon MP3 player in the iAudio series, the iAudio9 and decided to upgrade to the 10 when the battery on my 9 died and I decided I needed and upgrade to 32GB of storage.

The primary features of the iAudio 10 are that it is an MP3 player that focuses on music (there is video support and stuff like that but I just ignore it). It has great sound quality and compatibility with FLAC and any other file type you can think of. The screen is nice as well and made larger in the 10 but I only use it for music so it doesn't make much of a difference. The sound quality really is good and if you are an audiophile this is definitely the machine to get.

The bad point is that just like the iAudio9 it uses touch sensitive buttons, rather than physical buttons or a touch screen. These buttons are annoying to use and are the primary downside of the device. Luckily they did upgrade the somewhat unintuitive UI of the iAudio9 and it is easier to navigate with this one.

Overall, it is a good MP3 player and has everything I wanted, except for the buttons, but after a while you get used to them.

My advice is that if you want really good audio quality and FLAC compatibility, don't care about video or apps, and aren't interested in getting involved in the Apple iTunes ecosystem, then this is probably the best MP3 player on the market. However, if this is your first MP3 player or have no idea what FLAC is or don't really care, then you should just get an iPod.
on June 8, 2012
This is a 1st day usage so I'll update this in the future.
The sound is good. very good.
Took some time to make it work (didn't start at first).
It looks like it can't handle folder names with a dot in the middle.
After try to find my mp3 for an hour I've deleted one of the folders and suddenly everything is here.

Hebrew letters are available but the text is in the wrong direction- so you need to read it from left to right...
(*Update #1: moving the system into hebrew fixed this - now it looks the right way).

Nothing that another firmware upgrade can't fix.

The user interface is a little tricky (7 touch places on the phone)... I guess the regular guy will find it a little bit upsetting.

Also - I wish they've used standard USB and not their own propriety connector.

I will update this review in the future. this device has the potential to get the 5 Star review with some fixes.

1. seeing the id3 tags in the list rather then file names (should be an option)
2. seeing file data when played (bit-rate and format for example)
on February 22, 2013
To me, only 3 things are critical: sound quality (just reasonable, I don't expect superb quality from an mp3 player), ease of controls and the ability to move files to the device directly through a USB port of a computer. The rest of the functions are nice to have. An overall view:

+(1) 32Gb of storage (though, no SD-card expansion).

+(2) Understands the flac, ogg and some other music formats in addition to mp3/wav/wma which is nowadays supported by all players.

+(3) You can copy files to the player directly using the USB port of your computer. This is easy comparing to Apple/Sony players, where you have to use bulky software on your computer to just reconvert commonly used file formats (mp3/flac/etc.) to Apple/Sony proprietary formats and move them to the player.

+(4) The design is interesting. I wouldn't call it distinguished, but understand the player got some awards for the design.

+(5) There are video playback/pictures/HDMI/etc. - a good bonus for someone, I personally don't need these.

NEUTRAL (for the moment):

~(1) Did not try the kit earphones (they look cheap, such "big round tablet" earplugs I haven't seen for long). Reasonable sound quality with Sony earphones, but neither of the countless equalizer settings gave me that flavour of music that I had even with "no name" players but with good earphones. I'll have to play more with equalizer settings and try different earphones.

~(2) Not sure what's the exact capacity of its battery, but it doesn't seem (from the first drain impressions) to last for 38 hours. Though, its life seems to be reasonable. Will need to experiment more.

~(3) I haven't yet uploaded a lot of music to it, but it seems that the interface is designed rather poorly to navigate through many files/folders. I'll have to give it a try. Overall, the interface is something that should be easy to improve (via a firmware update).

-(1) The player is rather big (we know it before we buy it), which gives a designer enough room to make controls *super* ergonomic. However, controls are not convenient at all:

(a) What is called "capacitive touchpad" is located at the very bottom of the surface (with the screen in the upper part). To be able to control the touchpad with one hand, you'd have to hold the device by the lower edge and use your thumb to reach the touchpad (which still would take some effort and you'll feel pain in your joints after a few hours of use). But holding the device by the lower edge, if you are a right-hander, one of your fingers will always be over the power button (which is at the bottom of the left edge of the device), and if you are a left-hander, your whole palm will cover the power button. On the one hand, accidentally pressing the power button seems unavoidable (though, it's not severe as the button is too flat). On the other hand, it does not, however, make pressing the power button any easier - I would assume most right-handers normally don't use their little/ring fingers for navigation (and left-handers don't use their palm for this). Further, holding the device by its lower edge you'll have difficulty reaching for the volume cradle, which is at the top of the right edge of the device.

Touchscreen would be an ideal solution. When the whole screen is used as a touchpad, the virtual "buttons" could be located at the upper part of the surface, making it more convenient to use, at the same time not limiting your view of the screen. However, touchscreen will increase the price, which is already high. A more economical solution could be expanding the touchpad, so that it takes 50% of the surface, with the rest 50% to be taken by the screen (currently it takes 30% of the surface, with the remaining 70% by the screen). Yes, it would make the screen not that big, but it arguably should be no issue as the screen as it is now is not big enough for watching movies in any event, hence, its primary purpose is to show which music you play - for this, you don't need a large screen. I've seen such compromise solution in other players, it makes ergonomics better, though not ideal, too.

(b) The volume cradle and the power button are too flat, you won't easily locate them by a touch.

(c) The touchpad has a 7 "buttons" outfit, the functions of the buttons are different depending in which menu you are. Arguably, a more intuitively friendly would be to have 4 arrow buttons plus a couple of functional buttons above them (such design we see in many phones/other players).

(d) The "hold" mode is very controversial. You can adjust the timeout for the hold function, but once the device gets on "hold", the touchpad is disabled. To enable it, you need to press the power button (which is inconveniently located, as we discussed before). In the hold mode, only your volume cradle will work. You can assign the cradle in the hold mode to either adjust the volume or move between tracks. Arguably, you'd want to be able to do both in the screen-sleep mode. Not sure but maybe you can turn off the sleep function at all. In such case, the touchpad will always be on, as well as the screen. I wonder how much power the screen would steal from the music listening in such case.

(2) No belt clamp or neck chain provided (and no brand accessories to this extent are available). This means that during use, you'll have to keep the player in hand or put it in a pocket. Yes, you'll need a relatively large pocket.

(3) The earphones jack is at the bottom edge. Arguably, it's more convenient to have it at the top edge.

(4) Price for the device is rather high, same as for branded accessories (look up at Amazon).

Overall, I can only give 3 out of 5 stars (just "satisfactorily" but not yet "good"). If the price was less than $100, I'd give it 4 stars. Will experiment more on the "Neutral" things from this feedback and revert if I need to change the feedback.
on May 15, 2012
this was a gift for my son and he loves it. he said the sounds is clean and clear believe if not good he is very honest wouldn't care if it was from me or someone else.I really recommend this versus the iPod, cheaper, larger space, and better sound.