Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Color: Coyote|Change
Price:$20.99+ Free shipping

on December 18, 2014
I ordered this bag in Navy Blue and am mostly satisfied with it. It's hefty, seems sturdy, and is just what I was looking for. It's a great size, too! I do wish I had picked a different color, though... the instant it got placed on a wet spot on my floor, the color started coming out. I ended up trying to wash the excess color out in my bathtub, but it just won't stop coming off (see photo)! I'm thinking of ordering another one in a less intense color because it IS a really great bag, minus the color issues.
review image
on February 19, 2011
Got this bag for military use to supplement the A3 bags we are issued so I can have a simple bag with my personal gear. Great canvas bag that feels sturdy enough to take a lot of abuse. It's about 2/3 the size of an A3 bag and to me feels slightly more durable with thicker fabric so I am pleased with it. A3 bags have a waterproof coating on the inside but this does not so I will spray it with some scotch guard just in case it is left sitting outside on a pallet. FYI... It has small D rings at the ends of the zipper that look like they are for a shoulder strap but no strap included. I don't plan on using a shoulder strap as I like using the 2 handles as shoulder straps and wearing it like a backpack to haul it long distances if I have it loaded up with heavy gear. The handles on this bag seem well suited to do that.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2010
I returned from a trip where the rollers and handle of my large travel suitcase were of little use. After all, not all the world is a smooth sidewalk. After unpacking I realized that the suitcase must weigh 15-20 lbs when it's empty and its bulk made it a problem to store. I remembered my Army duffel bag which was lightweight, could be tossed around without damage, held a lot of stuff, and when empty collapsed taking up no more space than a folded pair of jeans. This item does all of that. I have used it on a recent trip and even packed some breakable souvenirs in it and everything survived.
on September 24, 2012
Whenever I ride my motorcycle, I wear and bring gear that not even my largest backpack can hold. But after reaching my destination, I don't want my belongings dangling all over my arms, nor do I want to wear them anymore. So instead, I remove from my backpack this folded parachute cargo duffle bag and expand it to its enormity. It swallows everything, including my backpack. In fact, even another rider's possessions can still fit into it.

As it turns out, the bag's humongous carrying capacity of 4,680 cubic inches (77 liters) is too large for my normal rides. For those, I eventually bought the mini version of this bag: the 2,508-cubic-inch (41 liters) Rothco Tactical Cargo Bag. At only 54% the size of its bigger brother, that smaller bag is more appropriate. However, I still like this big one in many ways.

Because although it's large, it has short, snub-nosed ends that don't interfere with my striding legs like long duffel bags. That boxy shape also makes the filled bag stand easily. By contrast, the typical duffel bag would sit like a floppy mess and take up a larger floor space.

Durability-wise, the Rothco bag's thick canvas is rugged. Plus, the handles wrap completely around the bag for heavy load-bearing duties. Then should I need both hands free, the large looping handles can be worn through both shoulders. So, yes, this can be a versatile backpack in a pinch.

And because of its enormous size, I use it now to relieve me of unnecessary work. Compactly folded to the size of folded jeans, the bag unobtrusively stows in the trunk of my car. The herculean bag then unfurls to haul my groceries and stuff from the car to the house. My one trip sure beats going back and forth between the two.

However, my one complaint is the canvas handles. Being 1.75 inches wide, they're void of comfort features -- like a neoprene wrap or some kind of curved hand grip -- that would make heaving a full and heavy load more tolerable. As they are now, the fibrous handles crumple into your hand like a small rope, resulting in them digging into your flesh.

Overall, though, the usefulness of this Rothco bag is remarkable for its massive size, rugged strength, and easy portability - all for only $21. You'd be hard-pressed to find that kind of exceptional value nowadays.
on March 20, 2011
Just like the ones I used as a paratrooper many years ago. Built like a tank and will hold all of your stuff.
on January 6, 2009
We purchased three parachute cargo bags for an international trip. It held all our items well. The zippers seem to hold well under pressure. Only draw back is that it did not come with shoulder straps and we could not lock the bags.
on November 15, 2010
If you need a tough and cheap bag, this is it. I still don't understand why it's so cheap. Really nice, you won't regret.
on April 29, 2011
This bag held a sleeping bag, air matress, and clothes for 10 for a trip to Nicaragua. Held up great. Easy to throw in the washing machine/dryer for clean up.
on January 14, 2015
This canvas parachute bag was a great deal for the quality and workmanship. Earlier reviews mentioned that there was not enough reinforced stitching on the straps and no end hooks for attaching an optional shoulder strap but those problems have evidently been corrected. A zipper and heavy-duty snaps also make the opening very secure.

I purposely bought a lighter color bag in case there was a chance of color bleeding with a darker color, as I had read in another review. The tan bag test washed well and I saw no signs of fading or bleeding. It was much bigger than I expected, however, so I’ll also order Rothco’s smaller Tactical Cargo Bag for my original purpose. This parachute bag will instead be used for other things, like when we take an extended car trip and want to bring along our own pillows or blankets to use at our destination. There will also be room for adding other things in it because this bag holds plenty.
on June 22, 2014
We live in earthquake 'country' and in a fire zone. Bought this based on capacity for what we'd need to pack [got another of a different color for my wife so we know who's whose]...

Most duffles I checked out on Amazon were either too large or too small - with too many separate pockets to lose things in. These parachute bags had ideal volume - and as it turns out, a perfect shape.

First thing I discovered was it fits a deflated, folded 'self inflatable' camp mattress at the bottom - which adds rigidity to the loose canvas box.
Enough room left over for a sleeping bag, several liters of water, couple of stuff bags with emergency and personal effects, maybe some plastic bottles of Kamchatka. Enough room to stuff cans of soup in.

Probably enough room for clothes but I keep a suitcase in my closet for those and duplicate solid state hard drives.

With recent fires in Southern California we awakened to strong smoke at 3:30am - not knowing where the source was, could be over a hill or several miles away [which it luckily was]. We knew of news reports where residents were given 5 minute warnings with approaching wildfires. Hopefully will never need to escape with the 'chute bag but this achieves a grab and go solution for peace of mind.