4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and fun
Some readers think Herman Melville's classic, "Moby Dick" is too long, especially the parts about whaling that don't seem to advance the story. Such readers may well enjoy the decidedly spare but completely charming Cozy Classic version, condensing the entire novel into twelve words and twelve expressive sculpture illustrations.

While many think of the board...
Published on November 16, 2012 by Beth

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture book
I didn't realize that it was just a picture book - which may be my fault for not reading the description - nevertheless, I was disappointed.
Published 8 months ago by C. Tenore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and fun, November 16, 2012
Beth (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)

While many think of the board book format as intended just for small children, this would also make a great stocking stuffer for the book lover, English major, or teacher with a sense of humor!

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably more for the parents than the kids, but look how cuuuuuuuute!!, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
The illustrations for this simple board book were created with possibly the cutest little felt creatures I've ever seen. I want them all and I want to play with them and snuggle them and make them talk. Having said that, it's not like your child will really learn anything about Moby Dick and some of the single word text that accompanies each picture are fairly abstract (the word 'leg' next to a felt peg leg, the word 'find' next to a sailor in a crow's nest, etc.). On the other hand, who cares? These classics-as-board-books are really more for the adults anyway (my daughter has received several "baby versions" of friends' favourite books and from an adult perspective, it's thrillingly adorable! If you have a young child and a friend who loves Moby Dick, expect to see this book under your tree at Christmas.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic of Moby Dick, February 12, 2013
LadyInRead (San Jose, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
I previously read the Cozy Classic version of Pride and Prejudice and was impressed - I fell in love with the totally adorable photos of the needle-felted characters and scenes. Moby Dick is as delightful as well. Again, the creators of this series use twelve words paired with these unique felted illustrations to bring their youngest readers the story of Moby Dick. Familiarity with the original story does help a lot but at the same time, this book does help in introducing these classics and instill a love of literature in the young. Adults can retell the story any which way, many different ways, or the very same way each time they open the book. My favorite illustration here is of the ship and my favorite word - crash!

There are two more Cozy Classics (Les Miserables and War and Peace) coming out this year and I am looking forward to these. These are great gifts for adults who love classics and definitely for parents of infants and toddlers who are looking for great books to share with their young ones. A 3D experience without the need for glasses:)

The website includes some more information for each book - a cozy version of the book if you need some help with relating the story, cast information, quotes from the book, as well as tips for parents to tell the story. Cozy Classics brings a wonderful new dimension to board books.

Rating: A
Reading Level: 0+
Reread Level: 5/5 (I am sure the little ones will be rereading this book many times over)
Disclaimer: I had the digital ARC from NetGalley and received the actual board book from Jack and Holman Wang (thank you for this delightful addition to my library). There was no requirement to review or to provide a favorable one. This review is my honest opinion of the book. I just happen to love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Charming, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
I saw this cozy classics set at a book fair, and simply fell in love. It manages, through endearing pictures each paired with one single, simple word, to capture the essence of a very wordy classic in a dozen words. Brilliant. The felt needle figures are very adorable and give the illustrations a lot more warmth. I was a bit surprised that the series is done by two guys. I will definitely be ordering for myself and friends as gifts, and look out for more in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly wish I had a baby so I could buy these books..., January 16, 2013
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
Well, O.K. that's a huge exaggeration. I've had teens and that pretty much cured any baby yearnings I may have had in the past... ;-) But still...these books are so deliciously CUTE! They combine adorableness (perfect for babies & toddlers) with the classics (perfect for literature loving moms & dads).

I always worked hard to nurture the love of literature in my children from an early age. I wish this brilliant idea of a baby board book was around when they were in arms. What a perfect way to introduce babies to time-honored stories and characters! Babies won't have any idea of what is going on, but after cutting their teeth on these board books (perhaps literally, lol) they'll at least have a foundation of being introduced to some of the greatest stories of all time. How many of us can say we loved Pride and Prejudice before we could read a word? :-) Thanks to Cozy Classics, that can be a reality for your nerdy baby (and I say that as a compliment).

Each book features felted figures (cozy!) in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The pictures look almost 3-D and remind me of some of the story books I used to have (and adore) as a child.

Each page features one word on the left side of the 2 page spread and felted character or objects on the 2nd that illustrate a part of the classic story. I find the illustrations (photographs actually) to be really original and endearing.

If I had a baby, I would get these books. Even without one, as a collector of children's books, I'm highly tempted... They are lovely! Who said babies can't be homeschooled? Start their love of literature with these sweet introductions to the classics!

I was given free e book versions of these adorable board books in exchange for my honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Baby Gift for Well-Read Parents, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
I must admit, I am in love with this little book. In only 12 words and images, the authors (or should I call them craftsmen?) of this sweet board book take us on the journey of Ishmael, Captain Ahab and the great white whale. The needle-felted characters and scenes are exquisite and the photographs are lovely.

The book works best for those who have a working knowledge of the novel. Reading the word Pequod on the side of the ship and supposing it to be the name is much less satisfactory than seeing the name and having instant recognition. The linear progression of the sparsely-worded story works best when one is expecting it.

As a traditional book for new readers,however, this book does not succeed. The words are not intuitive with the illustrations: the picture of the Pequod on the water does not automatically make one think of the word "sail," and the picture of Captain Ahab's peg leg is not a leg that a very young child would identify as such. Such issues force this title into the "gift" category, more for the parents than the child, but it stakes its claim there with confidence and charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge hit for our 2 year old (now 3), April 21, 2014
Rockport Ives Family (Rockport, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
We bought this for our 2 year old and it was an immediate hit. We had to have a Moby Dick themed birthday party (white whale cake) and several months into his third year he's still obsessed with the story. There's another children's book about Moby Dick and a "graphic novel" pop-up book, both of which compliment this book (and both are available on Amazon). The Cozy Classic is the best intro, however. Your child will memorize the words and that's good reading practice. If your child runs with the story like ours did, stage III can involve the Gregory Peck movie, a trip to New Bedford's whaling museum and of course a whale watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call me surprised!, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
I have to say, I bought this for my LO (now 1) b/c I was fascinated by the idea of Classics for a baby and I am SHOCKED by how much he loves this. I leave a pile of books out for him at any given time and for some reason, he will pick this book out of the pile and hand it to myself or my husband so we can "read" it to him. He loves the pictures & I like that we can add some narration around the pictures on the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artistry, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
Each page has a full page sized picture and the minute details in the artwork are visible and beautiful. Words are not just Nouns and the plot is evident but not obvious so these books leave possibilities for the parent to create wonderful stories for their children if the mood allows. Cools colors used in the felt work and most posed in action shots, just darling to view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, Responsible, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Cozy Classics: Moby Dick (Board book)
After I saw this product advertised in the Huffington Post, I knew it was the best gift to give my new nephew. The illustrations are really snapshots of crochet figures, and the text that accompanies each picture consists of a single word: "whale," "sailor," etc. Too charming!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cozy Classics: Moby Dick
Cozy Classics: Moby Dick by Holman Wang (Board book - November 15, 2012)
$9.95 $8.95