Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on PlasmaCar

There are two kinds of people who take the Graduate Record Examination. Well, three, actually: Those who don't study for the GRE, those who take a course costing several hundred dollars, and those of us buying a book or two. Buy "Cracking the GRE." It is what you need.

I suspect those who take the courses get their money's worth.

However, "Cracking the GRE" is a much cheaper, quicker solution. It cuts to the chase, tells you what you need to know, and shows you how to figure out those algebra problems better than your high school freshman year teacher.

They teach you how to be organized during the test. And you'll learn how to draw sensible charts for the logic portion. This will save you precious time as you realize you have no clue how to answer number 27. It teach you how to effectively guess.

I took the GRE. I used the Princeton Review. I crammed. Sure, sure--not the best approach for an important exam, but the fact remains, I'm not alone. Effective cramming involves knowing what to jettison, and what to keep on board. That is, knowing what is important to focus on. The Princeton Review folks know this.

I dreaded the math portion. If I told you how low my high school grades were for math, and then told you my GRE score, you'd likely believe neither. But it is true. My score rocked. Why? The easy teaching style of "Cracking the GRE." The MIT admissions people wouldn't be impressed with my score, but for a guy with a literature degree looking to get into a marketing communications program, the "Cracking the GRE" helped me get the math score I needed.

Have I convinced you? No more delaying. Hurry up, get on with it, and buy "Cracking the GRE." You'll get the best results cramming can bring you. Oh, and be sure to get to the exam early. Long form to fill out beforehand.

I fully recommend "Cracking the GRE."

Anthony Trendl
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2007
The verbal section gave very good tips. The quantitative section, I felt, was a mess. (And I've been an editor for 15 years -- so I know a mess when I see it!) The author would spend ridiculous amounts of space explaining a concept as simple as a "digit," yet skip over the reason for using a certain formula to solve a more complex problem. Moreover, the author recommends "plugging in" answers for many problems that are actually easier to DO.

Very disappointed. After reading book, I took their first online practice test, and got 770 verbal, 490 quantitative. Granted, I already knew that I need to go back and memorize geometry formulas, which I haven't done yet. But then I'll need to practice using them--and this book doesn't provide for that practice. I'll be buying another book for that--from a different publisher.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2006
I have been using this book to review for the GREs, and I have found it extremely helpful. It has prepared me 100% more than without a review guide, and I find the layout and techniques they use to be really easy to learn. What this book does that I didn't find as much in Baron's is teach you the "tricks" behind the GRE and how to master taking this test. Plus it provides "drill" opportunities throughout to practice these new techniques (which may seem a little elementary, but is actually quite helpful). I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to prep.
on December 10, 2004
I just took the GRE and used this book to prepare. I read the entire thing. Memorized all of the vocab words. Did all 4 practice tests. Studied for several weeks. I was an A student in college. I began the GRE feeling prepared, after all I did know everything in this Princeton Review GRE guide. I was shocked to discover that the quantitative portion of the actual GRE is much, much more challenging than any of the Princeton Review sample problems or practice tests. This review guide did not adequately prepare me for the test. As a result, I did not finish the math section and got a lousy score. I FEEL MISLED! I must say, however, that the book was entertaining and easy to read.

I have decided to take the exam again and, in preparation, I purchased Barron's "How to Prepare for the GRE Test" and Kaplan's "GRE and GMAT Exams Math Workbook". I have begun reading the former and already I have learned several techniques that the Princeton Review guide never mentioned. In addition, the practice problems in Barron's are much more realistic. They certainly resemble those found on the actual GRE. Barron's examples are challenging so that you aren't surprised when you enter the exam. Overall, Barron's provides much, much more information, review, and strategic advice then Princeton Review did.

In a nutshell: Look elsewhere. Unless you are an absolute math and verbal genius, this book will not adequately prepare you for the GRE.
on May 27, 2007
I highly recommend this product as a GRE prep tool! It's not going to miraculously teach you information that you've never learned, but it's great for making you feel prepared to go into the test. It gives you all kinds of little tricks and tidbits as to how the test works. I bought three books to prepare, but this was the main one that I used because it was so great. I highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2004
I was a loyal princeton review customer when I bought this book. Back when I took my SAT in high school, I used almost every prep book. PR was the best by far.

With the GRE, I decided to trust PR for my prep again. The vocab is fantastic, as always, but you could probably do better with their little book, Word Smart for the GRE. The math review, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired. There are way too few problems and the practice exercies and tests were far too easy. The test is much harder. You are probably better off getting the book that ETS puts out, Practicing to Take the GRE General Test.

The book is heavy on fluff (that you can probably find on the GRE website) and thin on substance.

Best of luck.
on September 25, 2007
I used several GRE prep books, and this was by far the most useful. It seems written for a more intelligent audience - those aiming for 700+ on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. The "Hit Parade" section gave clear definitions as they are given on the GRE. I also reviewed the book's Analytical Writing section the night before the exam and it greatly helped organize my thoughts.

The only way to improve this would be to add a CD-ROM with practice test software. The Princeton Review's online exam was difficult to access and required registration, and the book didn't give access to any more than the basic online test (which is already free to anyone). Use this book in combination with other testing software for better results.

Also, don't buy separate vocabulary flash cards unless you are in a real hurry. It was much more efficient for me to make my own flash cards with index cards, based only on the words that were new to me.
on November 26, 2004
In the past ten years, I've taken about half a dozen real- or mock-GREs, used several different prep books and taken one prep course. This book is the only Princeton Review product I have tried to date, and it yielded my highest scores ever.

It is a bit longer on strategy and shorter on sample questions than it could be, but I think that's only because PR assumes the test taker will already have a strong knowledge base to work from when taking the GRE. If you don't have a decent foundation in English and math, no amount of strategizing is going to help you. But understanding the rules of the GRE game (and it IS a game) can make a big difference to a student who does have a solid foundation. This book is definitely aimed at people who know the material and just need to learn the tricks ETS uses.

In that respect, PR has done its homework. With lots of practice as directed by the book, I found many of the tougher math questions easier to solve quickly using its methods, and was better able to decipher the word salads in the verbal section. The strategies on educated guesses are especially helpful in the inevitable "crunch time" when you have five or six questions left and only two minutes to go! As for the new essay section, PR's explanation of how to attack it should be required reading for all test takers. I would never have approached the section as I did without this book.

The practice regimen PR recommends does take a lot of self-discipline, so those who are prone to distraction are probably better off with a course than with this (or any) book. But if you're good at practicing and studying on your own, this is a terrific option.
on November 3, 2008
This was my only resource for taking the GRE, and I only studied two weeks in advance, and I scored in the top 85%, so it must be a good teacher. This book is good at breaking things down so that you know how to take the test and select the best answer. Good review of all the sections, and two full length practice exams. I would recommend.
on December 27, 2004
I am not a native speaker and started to study with Barrons and was overwhelmed by the 5000 word-list and the huge amount of information they are trying to get across. The Princeton Review helped me to get the strategies to use on the GRE. It is probably true that the practice examples (even the hard ones) are a bit too easy. After working with the Princeton Review I therefore returned to Barrons to practice. A combination of both seems to be a good strategy.