5.0 out of 5 stars Cradlepoint MBR1000 3g Router
Published on February 24, 2010 by David Trowbridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Support
The 1000 works wonderful. Easy to use. Mine stopped working using 2 different laptops. Direct connecting great. After 4 days and 2 phone calls. Support doesn't much have an idea. Tried both laptops at another 1000 router. Works perfect. Support just acts like they don't care to even try.
If it works its wonderful.
Published on November 11, 2008 by chickendog

5.0 out of 5 stars Cradlepoint MBR1000 3g Router, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
I purchased this unit about 14 months ago. It was purchased from [....]. I had decided to finally get my parents some sort of high speed internet because dial up just wasn't cutting it. They live in the woods about 5 miles from the I-5 freeway but DSL or Cable doesn't come down the road. It goes right by the end of it but not down it. So for Christmas of '08 I went to Sprint and purchased the Air Card, well the card was free just had to sign up for a 1 year contract. I asked them about a router for this and they told me to visit [...] and look at Cradlepoint. I found the MBR1000 and when I buy something I want to make sure it is the best. So I purchased it. Got it in about 4 days. Once I figure out where I was going to get the best signal for the air card it took me about 10 minutes to set up the router, air car, and my parents computers. I have had no trouble with it. I think the LOS (Line of Sight) is underestimated. I purchase a range booster for it as well and the neighbor said he could get 1-2 bars of signal (Router signal not modem) at his place. He is about 100yds from my parents house with a couple of trees in the way is all. We unplugged the range booster and the signal stayed the same. Turns out the Router itself was getting that range. He could sit out on his deck and use his laptop with 1meg download speeds. I would recommend this product to anyone. As a matter of fact a close friend of mine doesn't have high speed internet at her house and she wants to get the same thing that my parents have. I am going to recommend the MBR1000 especially since it has gone down in price since I purchased it. I was astounded by the range it can get. I did however have to purchase an antenna for the modem itself because it wasn't the best cell signal in that area but I went from 1-2 bars, 2nd bar flashing to 3 solid bars of signal with the external antenna mounted on the deck. DO NOT but directional range booster antennas because the cell companies will not tell you where the towers are so you can aim it. The margin of error in pointing one of those is too small to get it. I used a Trucker antenna from Wilson Electronics that works great. I hope someone finds this useful and makes a decision based on this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Alltel Huawei EC228, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
This router simply works with no fuss. I did not experience any of the firmware issues cited by others. Since my only broadband option was a cell Evdo service I was a little nervous about setting up my network, but This router made it a snap. 10 minutes and I was up and running with no configuration. The quick start guide is very clear and simple and The MBR1000 paired with the alltel Huawei EC228 modem perfectly. The radio range is fine for my whole house, and the signal strength seems to be very consistent. The only complaint that I would have is the price, but given the ease of use and performance, that is not enough to take away a star. Overall, a great piece of equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, easy to set up, February 7, 2009
L. A. Hill (South Puget Sound, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
Very impressive device. It worked right out of the box with my Sprint Sierra Compass 597, giving full wi-fi coverage throughout the house. The 597 has problems with signal strength in some rooms, limiting where I can use it. With this router we are able to set the 597 where it has best signal and use a computer anywhere. It's easy to update the firmware and to set up network security. The 1000 has lots of great features for use in a home office or small business; other Cradlepoint products would probably be better for "road warrior" or emergency applications.

The vendor I bought from, River Rocks, was very helpful.

My only (minor) complaint is that the included documentation is sufficient to get started but leaves a number of questions such as use and functions of the buttons. For example, I would have preferred to do the initial configuration using an ethernet port with the wireless off but didn't realize that was an option until after I was finished. All that said, this is a very good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Alltel UTStarcom UM150, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
Downloaded the new firmware from cradlepoint.com. Plugged in the power cord and ethernet. Easily updated the firmware. Popped the UM150 into the USB port and was surfing in minutes. Another couple of minutes and I had my laptop hooked up to the wifi too. Easy to use. Quick to setup. The best way to share an EVDO signal. If I ever find another decent provider in the sticks, it can even combine/share multiple connections. Gotta love it. Make sure you update the firmware though - a friend who didn't was frustrated with packet shaping settings that came stock. The new firmware fixes this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. May need some technical support for set-up., July 2, 2009
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
I purchased this product due to the need to run a home network off of a Broadband air card. The router was easy to install, however once installed I did not get the connection speed that I felt I should. The instructions with the router were very limited so I contacted their tech support. I did find that their phone support was very limited, however their online tech support was very good. We were able to set up a chat session where I was walked through several steps to correct the issue. The first step was to update the router software version, then to change some of the preset settings. After doing this the router works great. The only disadvantage to the online chat support would be if you did not have a separate Internet connection other than the one you are trying to setup. Fortunately I had a work PC with a separate Internet connection. The router now works great. The only issue I had was with the phone tech support not be accessible. P.S. Connecting a USB extention cable to move the broadband modem away from the router seemed to be the ultimate fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cradlepoint MBR1000 saves $, December 23, 2009
Amazon Customer (Circleville, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
We live in the country where hi speed internet is not an option. My wife has used dial up for about 10 years and I've been using the Verizon Aircard for the past 2 years which is quite faster than dial up. I plugged the Verizon Aircard in the MBR1000 and turned it on. My computer picked up the WIFI signal and I was running. Not to mention my computer is now much faster with the added boost. Not to mention now my wife (uses an Apple) can also get on-line using the same signal, and much faster than dial-up. Not to mention we can drop the $15/month dial up charges. Now we can go anywhere in the house, including the back deck and get a strong signal. No more wires. Free at last!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Sprint EVDO, March 31, 2008
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
If you are using Sprint EVDO for your home network - this is the ideal router. The setup is super easy, the config pages are easy to follow and the range is amazing! I can pick up the signal from the router close to a quarter mile away! The only downside is the antennas cannot be replaced, but the range is amazing as it is. Highly recommended for Sprint EVDO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
I have been using the router for a 45+ days now. I am using the Mi-Fi 2200 as the only Internet connection. I was a little worried since the router is for fail over, my thinking - primary should be cable/dsl and the Mi-Fi 2200 as a backup. When I connected the Mi-Fi 2200 to the router it instantly found the Internet, to my surprise. I had DSL and the company required a phone line on top of it which runs the cost up. That is why I went with the Mi-Fi 2200 and this router, so I could use VoIP. My cell service does not work in the where I am located. Other devices connected to the router are Windows Home Server, Blu-Ray player and DirecTV.

The router is very easy to work with, for me at least. The only problem I have is the ports are fast ethernet and not Gig-E and for the price I thought they should have been included. I knew that when I bought the router. That was not enough for me to bump it to 4 stars.

The router seems to have pretty good range for the Wi-Fi. I have the Roku Radio device and that is upstairs and works without any issues. Plus, there is a printer that is probably 30+ feet away and on the second floor and seems to work without any issues.

So, over all this is really a great product. The only thing I miss is the virus software in the router like another router I have at a different location. Guess you can't have it all, just yet. One other thing, I have not contacted support. So, I can't add any value there.

Another thought, the router recommended a firmware upgrade, a first. Clicked a button, waited several minutes and it was done. Real simple. Although the Mi-Fi 2200 is supported, from other companies, the Mi-Fi 2200 wasn't from Virgin Mobile. Maybe some day Cradlepoint will certify Virgin Mobile and the Mi-Fi 2200.

When it comes to security this router has all the features one could and should expect these days. As you can see I didn't find really any major faults with this router to this point. Some other reviewer said that once your warranty is up you don't get support. As long as I get updated firmware I will be satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars greatest evdo router, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
This is the best thing since the invention of the evdo card. Easy setup, easy to use and looks great on your desk. This router works with my v740 air card and usb720. Just plug and play. If you want to buy this use new west. These guys are great and will offer you tech support. The Craddlepoint web site lacks some real time tech support but if you email them they will get back to you in a minimal amount of time. Firm ware updates are easy but if you don't back up your settings before firm ware update the router resets back to factory settings. If you have a air card this is a definite buy. Remember the New West guys they are great. For you mac users this router works great and no issues with apple computers. I use a Macbook pro 17" early 2008. So if you are concerned it's not mac compatible no worries. I looked and looked for issues none found. This is a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well conceived and implemented, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Cradlepoint MBR1000 (Electronics)
Recently I have discovered very few consumer technology companies are interested in releasing products that work. Linksys, D-Link, some Netgear equipment; either they are complete junk or require updates immediately to resolve issues the engineers didn't get to before shipping the product. It's a testament to how little these companies value our time.

The entire Cradlepoint product line is reminiscent of the consumer products of yesteryear; open the box, plug it in and WOW! Everything works. No calls to India for tech support, no updates needed to resolve major issues...

We have several of these units in-place serving construction sites that require uninterrupted Internet access 10 hours a day. Cradlepoint? No problem.

Cradlepoint MBR1000