Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on July 19, 2013
According to my boss, an accountant, I'm a creative type. I don't have a head for business. So when I decided to take my crafting hobby to the Internet and try and sell some products, I bought a few books to try and help me along. Of the three I purchased, this was the one that was immediately over my head. It is incredibly detailed and informative, please don't get me wrong, but I needed something a bit simpler. I would recommend this book for two types of crafters. The first type would be business people who, like me, are taking their crafting hobby to the next step. The second type would be those crafters who are already selling at shows and/or online, and are looking to expand. But if you're just starting out and looking for a simple book to guide you through it, this one may not be the one you want.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2012
One of the best books I have read about making your creative business dreams into a reality.
Meg's book covers every topic imaginable; taking the reader through the ins and outs of being a creative force in business.
From finding your creative muse, to designing your products and finding your niche audience; you'll also find chapters that explain topics in great detail, such as:
production, pricing, marketing, everything you ever wanted to know about your on-line presence, social media, photography, retail shows, consignment, wholesaling, and much more. Throughout the book you will also find interviews with several small business owners, who themselves, offer great tips and insights into about owning and running your own business.
Overall, a Wow read!
on April 6, 2012
I've bought a few "craft" how to books and for me, "Craft, Inc." is by far the best. Very helpful, good design layout and pricing. The author's done a great job providing start-up information, resources and real life business examples. This is helping me focus and figure out if I have what it takes to start a craft business. Lots of detail to starting a business!
on April 16, 2012
I purchased this book and the work book a couple of months ago and it is perfect for anyone starting their own craft or art based business. It covers everything for someone who is just looking to get started, or someone that is a successful online seller but is looking for ways to take the next step into retail shows or selling in stores. I recommend this book for anyone who is looking for some advice in getting your handmade items sold.
on October 18, 2014
This is an inspiring and informative book about starting your own craft business. It's down-to-earth advice, and I especially like the checklist page for all the things you need to do to properly register your own craft business. Sometimes I found the writing to be a admonishing, like she's saying "careful what you're getting yourself into", which stands to reason. But then you'd turn the page and read a wild success story about some crafter, so at the same time you're getting proof that it can be done. Overall I couldn't put it down, I found the creative and colorful layout to be engaging and the advice to be priceless. It's a fun book you'll enjoy referencing.
on January 5, 2014
My rating is between a 2 and a 3. I thought this book was going to be a lot better than it is. To my knowledge, their were going to be a few interviews on people who have succeeded in making their craft a success but as I read it I find that their are about 3 in each chapter. Although they are motivational, she spends more time interviewing these people than actually going into detail with certain topics, for example, a business plan. I expected examples on a business plan or managing my book-keeping. I've also noticed that she highlights a lot of phrases on the page, almost like a magazine, to catch your attention. If you are already reading the book then it already has your attention. Personally, I believe that was valuable space that she could have used for something informative. Overall, it's a cute book. I get it. I guess I am just a bit more serious about starting my business and don't have time to read a list. I need more detail.
on August 31, 2015
I've been looking at a lot of these crafting-as-business books because I'm at a point of wanting to turn my hobby into more of a real job... most of these books talk a lot about things like packaging your crafts, or selling at outdoor markets, or how to set up a store on Etsy, which really isn't what I'm looking for. I'm already crafty and I already know I can make sales on Etsy or I wouldn't be trying to make a job out of this, but I have zero head for business... I need nuts and bolts like how to officially form my company, what paperwork I need to file and with whom, how to pay taxes, whether I should have a separate bank account for my business, whether I should be a sole proprietor or LLC, how on earth I should keep track of my expenses, sales, and other things in a way that won't make the accountant I'll have to hire want to throttle me, etc etc.

Out of all the books I've seen on this subject, this one offers maybe the most on those subjects. But it's still not as much as I'd like. There are a lot of questions I have that a book simply can't answer, because the processes, laws, and codes are different in different states.

This book has a lot of interviews with other crafters in it, and while that's sort of a mainstay of this type of book, most of the interviews in this particular book go on for far too long, and should have been ruthlessly edited (both for the length of the responses and for which questions prompted a completely uninteresting or unhelpful answer!). They come off as filler.

My biggest beef with this book, though, is the layout design of it. The text is fairly small, and to make matters eye-strainingly worse, it's not black... pretty much the entire book is printed in a shade of medium-dark green. (When it's not green, it's probably some variation on blue.) I bought a print copy from my local bookstore tonight, but after reading a few pages I decided to return it; there's no way I'll be able to read the whole thing. I came on Amazon to look at pricing for the ebook, but after flipping through more of the book I'm not sure I even want to have a copy, so I'll probably just return my print version and keep looking. Maybe instead of specific craft-oriented books I should be looking in the general business section for books on start-ups.
on September 15, 2014
Enjoyed reading and re-reading this book, if you want your passion to help earn you some cash along the way, these are some easy steps to do so
on January 13, 2013
I enjoyed the set up of this book and found it easy to read. The interviews with people who have their own successful craft businesses were interesting. I have to be honest, they were a little depressing too. Most of them seemed to just become successful by chance which isn't the case for most of us.

I purchased this and Creative, Inc (which I haven't finished yet) to see if I would like to do crafty things or pursue graphic design. This book discouraged me from doing the crafty side of things. It isn't at all a downer but when it was talking about trade shows and making the same thing over and over and over, it made me realize I would prefer something with more variety.

Overall, it was a good read and it helped me decide which way to head. If you are serious about starting your craft business, I say give it a read. It will help you on your path or give you a reality check before you invest cash in your dream.
on June 19, 2013
I really enjoyed this book! It was easy and enjoyable to read. I learned a lot about starting up my own craft business. :)