Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 18, 2013
With the help of tis book, my wife has made all of the Christmas gifts for our friends and family. She has made 4 pairs of socks, 2 scarves, 3 hats, a toaster cozy, slippers, a winter jacket and carpeted the family room. I highly recommend tis book to anyone who, like my wife, has 14 shedding cats in their house.
44 comments|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2014
It really only teaches you how to felt cat hair and make finger puppets or little fingers out of it. However, if you do, they're really cute. I made one for my friend for his birthday out of his own cat's hair. I did a little extra embroidery on mine to give it more defined claws, eyes, and face.
review image
55 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2014
I purchased this book as I was tired of people sitting too near me on public transport.
44 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 27, 2011
My husband thought I was crazy all these years for collecting our cats' fur after brushing. But after playing about with a particularly copious wad one day, I noticed how felt-like it could become, very much like the wool rovings I've been collecting and paying good money for. Kaori Tsutaya has eclipsed my artful intentions with her book "Crafting With Cat Hair". But, ah, the sweet taste of redemption!!

This book really depends on many other materials to augment the cat fur, such as felt sheets, pre-made objects, and items you can find in your recycling bin. I bought this book based purely on its title and cover, and I was hoping for more crafts in the vein of purely stand-alone needle-felted objects such as Fleece Dog: A Little Bit of Magic Created with Raw Wool and a Special Needle,Little Felted Animals: Create 16 Irresistible Creatures with Simple Needle-Felting Techniques, and Wool Pets: Making 20 Figures with Wool Roving and a Barbed Needle. The only stand-alone item made wholly from fur is the finger puppet on the cover, whereas all of the other projects - hats and gloves, tote bag, coin purse, book cover, badges, boxes, pin cushions - are essentially needle-punched with feline fur or are embellished with a diminutive needle-punched pattern. My favorite project is the portrait; for this you will need a small frame to memorialize a favorite furry loved one.

Ms. Tsutaya infuses her book with a friendly spirit, and rounds it out with informative and relevant sections on brushing tips and techniques, bugs and pests (she encourages the use of pesticides to keep your crafts intact), the nature of cat fur, and much more. This small book will go a long way towards pleasing the crafter who also happens to love pets.
66 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2011
I just received "Crafting with Cat Hair" as a gift. At first I thought it was a joke, but after reading the book, I was pleasantly surprised. The thought of brushing your cat and using the fur to make crafts might seem sort of strange to some, but when you think about it, it starts to make sense (a little). My germ-o-phobic fears were laid to rest when I read how to wash the cat hair before using it. We use clean sheep wool, why not use clean cat hair?

Kaori Tsutaya has written "Crafting with Cat Hair" with a cat lover's heart. The book is filled with not only easy and cute crafts using cat hair, but photos of much loved cats and information about keeping those cats happy.

Another reason why I like this book is that it incorporates recycled items in the projects. Cardboard, milk cartons, and old wool sweaters are used.

So...if you know a cat lover, a crafter, or someone who loves to recycle, this would make a lovely gift for them.
on December 27, 2012
I bought this book for a friend as his wedding present; he had been collecting his cat's hair for years with aspirations of making some sort of scarf, gloves, or other wearable garment. Seeing this book, I thought that it would be PERFECT for his needs, the book even mentioned making gloves and picture frames. However, there is something that must be said about this book and all of the crafting things that it claims to give you instructions how to make.

Most of the designs, for picture frames, gloves, etc... are not constructed out of cat hair, but rather out of felt that are later applied with a little cat logo, of which is made from cat fur. The little puppet on the cover of the book indicated to me that all of these products would be entirely constructed out of cat fur, but alas, most of them instead use felt. The only way that they get away with this, is that the instructions for making gloves only include how to make a tiny little cat logo (about 1/2 inch tall?) which is then attached to a set of gloves.

This book should be rewritten: "Crafting with cat hair: Cute logo of a cat to make out of cat fur to put on anything you want".
33 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2013
Meow! What a purrrrfect way to expand your crafting skills! If you're anything like me, you've been sitting on a goldmine of animal hair in your apartment, not knowing what to do with it. I mean, how many times can you try sneaking handfuls of cat hair in trick-or-treater's halloween bags, or stuffing it into your utility bill payment as "insulation"?

Let's face it: people don't like cat hair unless it is woven into arts & crafts.

So it's a good thing I got this book and started "cat-crafting". I've been so busy ever since! Half the time I'm in my apartment, ferociously knitting feline fur into crafts and even garments. I made 3 "siamese" socks already. The rest of my time, I'm out there pounding the pavement with my garbage bag in one hand and cat-shaver in the other. I guess I'm "that guy" - you know, the one who shaves all the cats.

The book is very helpful in guiding you to the perfect cat-crafts. What it doesn't mention is you can use the same techniques with raccoon, possum, or rat hair. Possum hair is a bit scratchy but makes for a solid sweater or watchband. I don't recommend working with rat hair unless you have a good herd of them living with you - like my buddy "Rough Randy" does. Cats are known to attack rats and get into that hair supply themselves. So the two are pretty much incompatible for crafting purposes.

The book also forgets to mention that some people are allergic to cat fur. For example, if your girlfriend is allergic, the time to warn her is BEFORE she hops into bedsheets made entirely of cat hairs. You also need to check your boss for allergies, before you surprise him at Arby's with an elaborate gift of crafted cat hair. Could really cost you a job when that happens.

Anyway, this is where my "tail" ends. 5 STARS for a creative book that shows a "crafty" way to work with your cat-hair supply!
on October 30, 2014
Wow, what a boon this book has been for me. It has opened my eyes to a great opportunity that was right in front of me all along. I love cats and I want to be with all of my furry little friends as much as I can. I hated leaving for work each day. It was so hard looking into all 24 pairs of sweet little cat eyes peering at me from the nooks and crannies of the pile in the living room as I left for work. Poor little Mittens would always be in the same spot; under some black, overflowing hefty bags. He would bat at one of my treasures dripping out of the bag, I know he wanted me to stay and play.

Now I can! I’ve been saving cat hair for over 15 years. I always have at least 20 cats at any given time, so I’ve gathered quite a bit. My daughter’s bedroom has in fact become the cat hair room. Thanks to this book, I’ve decided to start a business from home! Cat Hair Creations! I can now just park it in my recliner and craft away all day. I will never have to leave Mittens, Kitty, Angel, Shadow, Chloe, Jasper, Peanut, Baby, Fluffy, Dusty, Cupcake, Bandit, Snickers, Socks, Sox, Gracie, Precious, Romeo, Daisy, Muffin, Ginger, Missy, Ziggy, or Steve all alone again!
on January 19, 2013
I bought this for my girlfriend as a joke thinking it would have a bunch of different crafts since shes in the early stages of being a crazy cat lady. Turns out its basically one craft. You make a cat cut out woven from cat hair and it shows you various things to stick it on from a purse to a piggy bank. Best part of the book is the title.
on April 30, 2012
I have purchased this book as a joke for two of my cat-loving friends. Although it was intended as a joke, after looking through the book, it is surprising at how detailed it is and how seriously the author takes the subject. I would never use these ideas (using cat hair to make crafts just grosses me out a bit), BUT if I were to ever do such a thing, this would definitely be a great resource!