5,189 Reviews
 (2,447)
 (1,029)

5,196 of 5,272 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Read the instruction manual b4 u complain about it...
Published on December 18, 2009 by C. Patterson

859 of 1,033 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Works - But VERY poor design
This humidifier DOES work in that it does create a nice full water vapor stream - HOWEVER, thats as far as it goes functionally. Let me explain:

Published on January 23, 2011 by Louie Dumont

5,196 of 5,272 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Read the instruction manual b4 u complain about it..., December 18, 2009
I received this humidifier 2 weeks ago after searching for a decent humidifier to replace the one i owned that was famous for robbing me in replacements filter, etc. fees. This thing fits the bill. The design is great, it's super quiet, and gets the job done. In choosing this product i read all the reviews. The reviews that made me hesitant to purchase this were the complaints that said: a)that the furniture on and around the humidifier got wet all the time, b)that the machine did not cut off if empty, as advertised, c)that the machine is hard to clean, and d) that it makes a lot of noise.

With hesitation, I purchased the product in good faith.

I was immediately pleased by the design. I read the owner's manual even though i thought it all was a "no brainer". The manual actually explained a)how to adjust the mist as to not wet the furniture around it, and b)that the machine will turn off when empty, but the light on the device will remain lite...obviously the part those that said the machine did not turn off failed to read, and c)how the machine is easy to clean with a vinegar or chlorine solution.

Cleaning is easy. I recommend using the bleach solution as bleach will kill anything..not to mention it also gets rid of the discoloration.

Lastly, the sound the comes from the machine is very subtle, but when u hear it, it is exactly like the soothing sounds of a filter running on a fish tank. It actually helped me sleep... having this white, very subtle noise.

I like this thing. My skin and nose are happy.

I hope this clarifies some of the ambiguity i found in the other reviews....

2,096 of 2,143 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Read the instruction manual first, December 30, 2010
guy next door (New England USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Crane cool mist humidifier in Dec'10 and have used it, with great success, for many months. With all the negative reviews (about 20%) I almost didn't purchase this machine. But I'm glad I did, because it works really well for what it is: a mid size/capacity humidifier.

First of all: ***this humidifier has a 2.3 gallon per day maximum output, with a .9 gallon tank.*** Amazon's initial title for this (and many other humidifiers) mentions daily output capacity rather than tank size... this may be confusing, although the correct specs are prominently listed on the Amazon page - fifth bullet point in the "product features" section. As for Crane (the manufacturer), their package clearly states a 2.3 gallon daily output, and .9 gallon tank size... The reviewers complaining about the "misleading name" should try emailing Amazon suggesting a title change on their website... instead of writing a 1 or 2 star review of the product. That would be more helpful and more fair.

As for the product itself:

A few buyers obviously received defective machines; this has to be expected on some level with any manufacturer.

But having read over the negative reviews, I realized that most of the complaints were due to improper use of the machine.

It is essential to read the instruction manual and use the machine as intended by design. Doing so will avoid the pitfalls described by most of these 1-2 star review writers. For reference, I have addressed their most common complaints below:

1) White dust buildup in the room: use filtered or distilled water. This is important if you have hard tap water. (85% of American homes do.) I run my tap water through a Brita filter; the exchange ion resin lowers the concentration of calcium carbonates, accordingly softening tap water. It also helps keep the humidifier cleaner by removing organic impurities, and I have had no white dust buildup. ***If your water is particularly high in mineral content, you should use distilled water, or else opt for a vaporizer-type (humidifying) machine, which creates water vapor free of white dust.***

2) Limited effectiveness: you are trying to humidify too large a room. In my 500 square foot living room level the machine helps a little; in my 150 square foot bedroom the machine is more than adequate.

3) Height of machine: the manual directs you to put the humidifier *at least* a few feet off the ground; there's no reason you can't place it even higher up if you wish. Doing so will disperse the mist more effectively.

4) Machine runs out of water: try turning it down to about 2/3 power instead of full power. The machine is practically noiseless at this setting and the water tank if actually filled to the rim will last at least 8-10 hours.

5) Machine makes bubbling noise on high: see #4 above.

6) Wet area forms immediately around humidifier: you have the machine turned up too high for the conditions in your room. This is explained in the instruction manual: you need to make sure the mist isn't falling down onto the surfaces around the machine; otherwise moisture will accumulate on those surfaces. Turn the power dial down until the vapor stream is fully evaporating in the air.

7) Machine leaks: Take care that the water tank fits snugly into place, with no gaps. Also, make sure you have the clear rubber ring that fits inside the tank cap. During my initial setup, this little (1 1/2" diameter) ring came loose and rolled away, and I almost didn't notice. The ring ensures a tight seal on your water tank cap; without it, I'm pretty sure the machine would leak.

8) Machine gets moldy: you are not following the correct cleaning routine, as described in the manual. You need to empty and rinse out the tank daily, and empty the bottom part of the unit too. Once a week you should use a white vinegar/warm water mixture in the tank and bottom of unit (see manual).

I hope this was helpful. If my humidifier breaks down I will certainly update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for a bedroom/office, December 16, 2010
creamyPB (bangor, me USA) - See all my reviews
The good stuff:

1. QUIET! I can't hear it over my computer fans and my computer is not very loud at all. You can definitely sleep with this thing on no prob.

2. Pretty easy to set up. The instructions tell you that you should rinse it out a bit before you use it.

3. Not too big. It's 13-14 inches at the top where the mist comes out. 9 inches wide/deep. Remember it's round.

4. Reasonably priced for what you get. Some of the humidifiers may very well be better than this, but they also cost $200 or more. For the modest price this is wonderful.

5. It doesn't look too 'medical'. A lot of the other ones have that hypochondriac/invalid look to them. This teardrop shape is kinda cool, but not childish.

The not so good stuff:

1. You will need to clean it once a week. They tell you to use white vinegar or bleach. NOT soaps or detergents. So anyway, you will be sloshing in the sink/tub at least once a week.

2. The add the convenient little note: 'It is recommended you use distilled or filtered water'. A lot of tap water is 'hard' and there are minerals and things in it. So it will eventually clog up the nebulizer inside this and it won't work right. There will also be a lot of white dust that will result from the minerals as well.

3. Because of #2 I got the optional filter to use. They say to use the filter for 30-40 refills - and you refill it every day. Filter life is approximately 1 month. And it was $12.

4. YOU CANNOT ADD MEDICINES TO THIS THING. MEDICINES ARE FOR VAPORIZERS not humidifiers.

5. The title of this should be changed to ONE GALLON humidifier. The output is 2.3 gallons since it's a mist/vapor. This is definitely misleading to put 2.3 in the title. I did my homework and I knew it was only 1 gallon, but still it's not cool to have that there to make people think this is bigger than it is.

6. THIS IS FOR A SMALL ROOM. Bedroom or office size. Don't get this if you think it will do the living room or kitchen or some bigger room in the house.

7. You have to be careful that you adjust the moisture right. If it is too high then it will get on things and make them wet. If there is wooden furniture around it could ruin their finish. I have mine sitting on a big plastic cutting board.

8. It needs to be on a level surface. You can't sit it on a towel or carpet. There is a vent on the bottom and that would block it.

9. Keep kids and pets away from it. If you have curious kids or critters there could be potential messy disasters in your future.

Even though I listed more in the not so good column I think this is a great buy. I just wanted to list the stuff to consider and that isn't mentioned/listed here in the description - or in the promo video. My big concern was noise. We have a Holmes humidifier which is really big and works great, but it's like being next to an airplane. Not even close to reasonable for sleeping. With the dryness of the winter I asked my Doc about sinus stuff. She said that a humidifier is essential and some saline nasal spray. So I needed one that could run while I was sleeping. This one is ideal for me.

Just remember to consider the stuff you need to do to MAINTAIN a humidifier. Some of the reviews here were complaining about white dust and that things got too wet - both of these things are clearly explained in the instructions. If you want one that will be sitting there and you don't have to do anything then this ain't it. But for one of the super duper ones you will need to drop some serious dough. If you don't maintain the humidifier it will not last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quiet, January 10, 2009
We bought the Vicks cool mist humidifier first. it was so noisy in the nursery that we didn't use it when our daughter was sleeping. We bought this one hoping that it would be a little more quite. We can't even hear it! It also takes up very little space and is easy to fill in the shallow bathroom sink. Awesome purchase. worth the extra $.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cool-mist humidifier!, December 6, 2008
Amazon Customer (Eastern United States) - See all my reviews
This humidifier is the perfect size for a bedroom. The tank empties in about a day, so the water doesn't sit around too long to get mildew or mold. The humidifier puts out lots of moisture, and is absolutely whisper-quiet! We have the penguin-shaped one for our son's room, and this one for ours. Both are great.

859 of 1,033 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Works - But VERY poor design, January 23, 2011

1. Starting with the fact that the handle on the tank actually says: "Do NOT use handle when tank is full" - yes, I kid you not, this is what it says ON the handle itself - why put in a handle that you cant use? As a result you have to carry the tank with both hands.

2. It has a light that cannot be turned off, so good luck sleeping w this thing in your bedroom.

3. It has to be refilled CONSTANTLY - I did it morning and night.

4. The tank will NOT stand up due to the awkward shape when off the unit, so to fill it, you have to stand there holding it under the faucet.

5. The way its designed, the tank drips every time you take it out to refill - a real pain.

6. But here is by far the worst aspect - Cleaning it is a NIGHTMARE - The base is full of little nooks and crannies that you have to get to w a Q-tip - its full of odd angles, grooves, etc. so good luck trying to get the gunk that accumulates off every couple of days.

7. It has NO antibacterial prevention WHATSOEVER, no filter, no uv light, no silver ion exchange, nothing. If theres something in the water or if something starts breeding in all the crevices youll just breath it right in.

8. The TANK ITSELF is impossible to clean due to the small opening but widening interior - and the central tube where the water vapor comes out...good luck cleaning that, you have to work a cloth or paper towel or whatever by pushing and pulling it through up and down the tube.

I actually bought it here at Amazon and went by the very reviews you probably read and, seeing it has mostly positive ones, I decided to buy it. Am I the only one that sees this humidifier as the worst possible design? How on EARTH is it getting so many good reviews? But dont take MY word for it, go to a store before ordering it here so you can see it with your own eyes first hand - dont judge it by the "cool look"; actually get it out of the box, pull up the water reservoir and see whos telling the honest truth here.
DONT BUY! Real pain!

1.0 out of 5 stars New design emits rust into water!, December 12, 2011
I had purchased one of these last winter (2010) for my sons' room and have been very pleased with the original unit and it's effectiveness. It has gotten both my toddlers through several colds and croup since last year. Thinking it would be a good idea to get a second one, my step-mother purchased a second one for my room from Amazon in October of 2011. The new one clearly isn't of the same quality as the original unit. After using it for about 6 weeks, I noticed a brown spot on the bottom of the cap and inside the unit. At first I thought it was a mineral deposit. After it got worse, and under more careful inspection, I took it apart and could clearly see that the spring inside of it is rusting. I am very upset, as there is obviously a difference in the material the screw is made out of. There is also a screw on the inside of my original unit's cap and that has never rusted, even after more than 6 months of continuous use. I just don't understand it....is Crane that negligent that they are willing to risk the health of it's customers over a cheap spring? I definitely will not be buying the Crane brand again and will be contacting the manufacturer regarding this flaw. Such a shame, because I really do love my original unit and it has not given me any issues. Don't waste your fifty dollars buying this product, you will be sorry in the end :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Humidifier for a Great Price, April 16, 2009
I bought this humidifier about a month ago because I play an instrument that needs to be in a properly humidified environment. It's wonderful! Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it's super quiet. I use distilled water and I don't have to refill it often at all. It's perfect for my small room. There haven't been any problems with leaks, dust, or damage, and I love that I don't have to worry about filters. 100% satisfied!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cool mist humidifier for a reasonable price, April 9, 2009
CanHope (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
A fairly good cool mist humidifier. We ordered 4 total and placed them around the house throughout winter. Overall they did a great job of keeping the house humidity level up (we have radiator heat). The only down side was that with no filter, over a period of time a white "powder-like" dust covered some of the room. If not for the lack of filter,I would have given it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice humidifier, August 9, 2009
This is a great product. It is super quiet which is nice because we have it in our daughter's room. Our last humidifier was crazy loud so this is a welcome relief. It also puts out a lot of moisture. The only reason I did not give it a five is because the product description said it was a 2.3 gallon tank but it is really one gallon. You have to refill every day which is sort of a pain. But all in all this is a fantastic humidifier. nice sleek design, no gross filter and no strange areas where dirt or water can collect. highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies