Cranium Hoopla
Price:$44.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon March 20, 2004
My significant other and I just love playing Cranium Hoopla. Each game takes about 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour to play and we rarely stop laughing. Players draw illustrated noun cards that must be acted out, drawn, or cleverly described as indicated by the random roll of the die. Depending on the talents (or lack thereof) of the players, it can be quite a hoot. Unlike most two player games, both individuals are working as a team against the clock. This adds to the fun and quells the arguments that can result from competitive gaming. The only negative aspect is that, like Cranium the board game, you go through the deck of cards pretty quickly making for redundant game play. All in all for the price and fun it's highly recommended (and I'm sure an expansion pack or two will be on their way).
A note of caution: I'd recommend this game for high school players and older. A lot of the subject cards contain items that may be unknown to younger players (e.g., "Sigmund Freud", "Nadia Comaneci", "Radio Flyer", etc.).
on October 26, 2004
My husband and I were on the scout for a good 2 player game - and came across Hoopla - and it's now our favourite game!!! It is so funny to play, and it's great to work on the same team to beat the clock.

Basically, you have to find a way for your team-mate(s) to guess what the card you are holding says. You must roll a dice and land on a particular clue format, and then select the card you wish your team player to guess... There are 4 clue formats:

Cloodle - draw a picture...
Soundstage - act out whats on your card using gestures, sound effects but no words...
Tongue Tied - Describe whats on your card using words which begin with a single letter (ie. candy, cottage - for Hansel & Gretel)
Tweener - Use the format: It's bigger than ____ but smaller than ____ to deliver a clever clue.

I am Australian, and my husband is American, and I struggle a bit with some of the words and people as the cards are really targetted towards American players (ie. Pilsbury Doughboy, Lucky Charms, Heisman Trophy - never heard of them), however most of the cards I can handle as they are fairly internationalised. I definitely recommend this game to teenagers and older, as there are some people (Bono), and themes (Woodstock, Raves, Mosh Pit) that children will find difficult.

Overall, it's a hilarious game and so wonderful to find a game this is just as great with 2 players as it is with a large group. Loads of fun - and definitely a 'must have' to add to your game collection!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After being disappointed with the Cranium game Whoonu, I decided to give this reputable company another chance by purchasing two new games--one of which was Hoopla.

Hoopla includes around 300 cards (Who, What or Where cards), 15 minute timer, 10-sided color die, 3 purple "Wild" Tokens, a pad, and pencil.

The premise is pretty simple: Deal 4 cards to each player, make a "Playpile" of 8 cards, then set aside the rest of the deck. Each player rolls the color coded die which corresponds to 5 actions. These 5 actions are ways to get the other players to guess which image is on the card of your choice. They are:

Blue = Coodle. This means that you sketch clues about the card in your hand

Yellow = Tongue-Tied. This is challenging but fun: you have to pick ONE letter of the alphabet and all your verbal clues MUST begin with that letter. For example, if the card image was a Who, and it was Elvis, you might pick the letter "M" and say "Major, Musician, Mephis", etc. This can get REALLY tricky. The other day, I rolled a Tongue-Tied and chose to use it for my Who card of Zeus. I used words like "Athens, Athena, Ares, Almighty, Abba (the Hebrew word for Father God)" and so on. My husband blanked out! (It was fun, though.)

Green = Soundstage. Using gestures, acting, and sound effects, you act out your clues. This, too, can be hilarious and challenging. I chose one of my Who cards, Bono, for Soundstage. So here I am, pretending to sing like a rockstar, gesturing that I have on rectangular sunglasses, humming songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Years Day"...and my husband didn't get it right away! In fact, he KNEW I was referring to Bono, but figured I was referring to *another* singer...and Bono was "just an example". Yet, he never actually SAID Bono! It was hilarious trying to get him to state the obvious!

Red = Tweener. This is perhaps the trickiest action. You have to craft two clues at a time, related to the card, but they must be in the form of "bigger than" and "smaller than". For example, I chose Locker Room, a What Card, for my Tweener roll. So I said to my husband "It's bigger than a football, but smaller than a stadium." and "It's bigger than a basket ball, but smaller than the school." Took him awhile, but he finally got it!

Purple = Wild. This means that you can choose whichever action you want--Cloodle, Tongue-Tied, Soundstage, or Tweener.

If you get stumped, you can also use one of the purple Wild Tokens--but you only get 3 per game for everyone!

This fun game doesn't pit you against other players. Rather, everyone is on the same team--pitted against the CLOCK. After each turn, a person selects a card from the Playpile, so after all the cards in everyone's hand is used, including all of the Playpile, the game ends.

This game is aptly targeted towards Teens and Adults. Most of the images are too complex for children (e.g., Platform Shoes, Great Barrier Reef, Psychic, Sorority House, Jack Nicholson, Mount St. Helens, Flea Market, Spring Break, Bob Marley, Walkman, Mardis Gras, Redwood Forest, Colonel Sanders, etc.). While some may be simple enough for children--for example, Cat in the Hat or Barbie, most are not.

I mostly got this game so my husband and I could play (after being disappointed that Whoonu doesn't support a 2-player game unless you form your own complicated set of rules--which is unfortunate). It doesn't take long and is a BLAST to play. You're required to draw on your inner creativity, so it's brain-stretching, too! My 8 year old likes to look at the pictures and try to draw them for us to "guess"--or he mans the wind-up timer for us when we play. (Players stop the timer in between the roll of the die and re-start it when the action is about to be performed).

An excellent game for couples, adults, and teens!
on July 26, 2004
I enjoy playing games from the classic games like Scrabble and Monopoly to the more modern ones such as Cranium and Taboo. The only downside to the more modern games are they require at least 6 to 8 people to get the most out of them. Hoopla is great because you only need 2 people, but you can also play with more. I no longer have to wait for company because my husband and I can play together. I definitely suggest all those who like to play games to purchase this one.
on September 5, 2005
I recieved the original Cranium and Cranium Cadoo for Christmas two years ago. Cadoo is fun, but it seems like it was meant for younger people. I never got to play the original Cranium because our family never has four people willing to play at the same time. Then I bought Cranium Hoopla. It can be played with only two people, so it was perfect for us.

Cranium Hoopla is a really fun game. It includes has a 15 minute timer, a bunch of cards that have pictures of stuff on them, a pencil, a notepad for drawing on, the instructions, and a bunch of little advertisement papers. You roll the die, and the color that appears on top chooses how you have to tell the person what your card is. You have to choose which card you're going to use by looking at the die. Then theres a few little rules that I don't feel like explaining right now.

Sometimes Hoopla is annoying because I don't know what one third of that cards are, and then I have to ask someone, and that ruins the game because they're not supposed to know what I'm talking about. It's a little bit frustrating.

Anyway, Hoopla is a great game and it's really fun (If you know a lot about stuff). I recommend this to anyone who doesn't always have four people to play with but likes Cranium games.
on November 4, 2006
I received Hoopla as a gift while I was in college. My housemates and I had no idea what to expect from the game and were slightly prejudiced against it thinking it would be a "children's game." But, once we started playing, we fell in love with it. It was hilarious to see people try to act out the Rockey Mountains or Sigmund Freud, or draw Willie Nelson. Many of the drawings became refrigerator artwork and the acted out clues still live on in our "remember the time" conversations. We loved the game so much that we brought it on spring break in the Virgin Islands with us to play on the beach. AWESOME party game but also a fun game to play with a small group when you're bored. This game works especially well as an ice breaker for parties that are split into seperate groups of non-intermingling friends.
on November 29, 2005
While Cranium is still my favorite, it requires at least 6 people to play properly, and better than an hour. Hoopla is a scaled back alternative. The best features are that two or more can play, the players are cooperating to beat the clock and it only takes a limited amount of time (about half an hour). The drawbacks are that it isn't a good kids game, since a large number of the cards will reference people, places or ideas most kids just won't ever guess (like Bob Dylan or jukebox). But it would be easily maleable to any theme, including a kid version, if one wanted to make up the cards. For example, I think this would make a great alternative to some of the tired annoying games that are inflicted on baby shower and bridal shower attendees! If you like Cranium, but find you can't seem to get enough people or time pulled together, try Hoopla!
on April 11, 2005
First, I will say that this game is EXTREMELY fun. Like all of Cranium's games, it has a ton of variety (there are hundreds of different cards) and has you doing all kinds of things. Also, rather than have a "winner", the goal is to work together to beat the clock, so there's not so much competition.

The object of the game, to summarize, is to use the four different activities (acting, drawing, and two different types of word clues) to get the other players to guess which card you're thinking of. This provides a great level of unexpected and crazy fun. I never thought I'd be making up a tongue-twister to describe a tour guide, or that my dad had such a passion for acting. Plus, correctly guessing a card or coming up with a great clue gives you a great sense of accomplishment.

I have only one problem with this game: it can get pretty frustrating. Sometimes you find yourself in a bind when the activity you roll can't really be used for any of your cards. For example, how the heck am I supposed to act out "wine cellar"? Also, this game is definitely not for youngsters, as some of the cards (like Jimi Hendrix, for example) wouldn't even be recognizable to them.

Other than that, though, this game is great. It's perfect for any number of people. I never liked "clue-giving" games like Pictionary and Charades, but Hoopla has changed my mind. And with the seemingly never-ending supply of cards, my friends and I are still going strong!
on June 9, 2005
Hoopla is a great game. The premise is different than most games in that you are working together, with the others you are playing the game with. Every player is trying to get through the four cards in their hand, and the eight cards on the table within a 15 minute time limit. If you win, everyone wins. If you lose, everyone loses.

After the roll of a die to get your category, you have to do other things to try to get the other players to guess what is on your card. The categories for the objects on the cards are "Who", "What", or "Where".

When you roll the die (to figure out how you're going to be giving clues), you can get:

Blue: Cloodle = Drawing clues (using no numbers or letters)

Red: Tweener = Craft "Bigger than ____, smaller than ____." phrases to have players guess your card.

Yellow: Tongue-tied = Use words with the same first letter to try and have your teammates guess your word.

Green: Soundstage = Use charades and outrageous sounds to give clues about your card.

Purple: Wild = Your choice!!

In addition to the dice rolls, there are three tokens which can be used either as A) a pass or B) a swapping of the manner by which you give your clues. For instance, you can give a tongue-tied instead of a soundstage. If you pass, though, you have to add another card to your hand, and another card to the group's pile, too. Only three tokens per game.

As I said earlier, this game is great because it is cooperative and not competitive. However, it's very easy to go through the cards quickly, so a booster pack is definitely in order (take note Cranium people!!!). Echoing others' sentiments, some of the words are a bit difficult and may be confusing for younger children. This is a great game for teens through adult.

Overall, a great game. This is a great game for a big group or people or a quiet night of playing games with the family. You will definitely have a good (perhaps embarassing) time playing this game!
on December 19, 2004
I loved this game the instant the clock started ticking. It's competitive (you're racing against the clock) but it's also cooperative (everyone's on the same team). Along with plenty of imagination, Hoopla takes quick thinking (you have 15 timed minutes to go through the stack of cards, though the game will last longer than that; and you have mere seconds to decide how you want to convey your clues to the other players -- by drawing, alliteration, miming, or making comparisons).

I've only played Hoopla in groups from 2 to... I lost count, and it was a huge hit every time. Everyone always wants to play more than once in a row. To make the 2-person game more challenging, my partner and I came up with several variations: seeing how many cards we could go through in the 15 minutes regularly alloted, shortening the time alloted, and not giving ourselves a choice regarding how to present a clue. Fun, fun, fun!

This game is not for everyone. It requires a certain amount of "cultural literacy" (knowing singers, athletes, actors, products, and special events) that children and people from outside the US may lack. Besides that small caveat -- and the fact that you'll want to play it often enough that you'll have go through the all the cards pretty quickly -- Hoopla is a great game definitely worth owning.