4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner
Those in my family have become big fans of the Cranium games, and Whoonu is another winner. It's simple enough to be learned in minutes, yet engaging enough to keep the interest of our 12- and 14-year old daughters.

Published on January 30, 2007 by Eric Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad--But Not As Fun As I Thought It Would Be
I was out shopping last night, and was debating between several Cranium games. I finally decided on Whoonu, because it seemed like a game that anyone can play, including my 8 year old son.

Published on October 22, 2006 by Janet Boyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner, January 30, 2007
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)

The basic concept: after receiving a hand of cards that spell out different activities or subjects (example, "skydiving," "ice cream," "little dogs,"), you choose those that would be the favorite of the person featured for that hand. You score more points for guessing most accurately. There are always laughs, and a few half-hearted arguments--"but you told me you loved olives!" If you play with strangers, you'll find out more about them. If you play with close companions, you'll still find nuances to their interests that you never knew before. Whoonu!

The main drawback to the game is its lack of 2-person rules. My wife and I created our own. We both draw four cards, then place them facedown in the order we think fits the other best. The ones that are in the right order earn point chips.

The bottom line with this game is fun, interaction, and connection. These are the same elements that have drawn us to the Cranium line in the first place, and we were not disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad--But Not As Fun As I Thought It Would Be, October 22, 2006
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)

Based on the packaging, I figured it was a "guess how well you know the other person" type game. You pick two cards and ask someone "What do you like better--roller coasters or building snowmen?"

Well, it's a little more complicated than that.

One person--who's birthday is coming up the soonest--becomes the first Whoozit. Everyone EXCEPT the Whoozit is given four cards and, out of the four cards, you have to guess which two would be the Whoozit's favorite. Each person puts their two selected card in the Whoonu envelope and gives the envelope to the Whoozit. (This is for 3-4 players. Games with 5 or 6 players require only ONE card to be selected.)

The Whoozit then takes out the cards and puts them in order of least favorite to most favorite. Depending on how many people are playing, there are stacks of chips ranging from 1 point to 6 points--the least favorite being worth 1 point with the most favorite earning the highest point. (For example, if you're playing with 3-4 players, the highest chip would be 4 points.)

The other two players get chips that correspond to the placement (favorites) of the Whoozit. For example, if I chose Bugs and Black Licorice for the Whoozit's favorites and he places Bugs as most favorite, then I get a 4 point chip. If he chooses Black Licorice as his LEAST favorite, I get the 1 point chip.

My family and I played last night, but we had to help our son with some parts. He grew tired after ONE game, so my husband and I decided to play. We realized that AT LEAST 3 players are required for gameplay, so we made up our own rules.

It's not a bad game, but not as fun as I thought it would be. I can't see how people think this would be a good game for strangers--or for team building and ice breaking. I mean, guessing the favorites of a total stranger is NOT fun (for me, anyway). Who CARES what the favorites are of a complete stranger?! It's much more fun to learn more about people you actually KNOW--friends, family, and romantic partners.

If the premise sounds appealing to you, you'll likely enjoy this game. There are 3 packs of cards--300 in all--so there's plenty for playing according to rules without much repeats...or for playing according to your own rules.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whoonu it could be so much fun?!?!, April 9, 2007
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
I bought this game for my family after playing it at my daughter's friend's house. It was a blast. My dad is not a big game-board type player, but he loved this game. We had so much fun. It gets especially "challenging" when the cards you are holding do not really describe any favorite of the Whoozit...makes you really think about what they could like out of the cards you are holding. We even played choosing the card we think the Whoozit would like the least, and then putting them in front of the coins least favorite to best (highest points for least favorite coin to lowest coin for most favorite card). Either way we had lots of fun! My daughter is 7 1/2 and loves this game, as well as the other Cranium games we have (Cadoo, Balloon Lagoon, and Hullabaloo).[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year old looooves this game, November 18, 2006
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
My 6 year old really loves this game. It's not my favorite, however. While I love the concept, even though you're provided with tons of cards, it doesn't take more than a dozen or so games before every game seems the same since you've seen all the cards. It's not a BAD game, just one that gets old fast. On the other hand, you learn a bit about the people you're playing with and OCCASSIONALLY their answers/choices will surprise you. We usually play the game 4 or 5 times when we play, because it takes less than 5 min. to finish a game. That's part of what makes it get old so fast, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoonu - Get to know the family, May 16, 2007
P. LeBlanc "Pam" (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
Want to find out how your kids feel about certain things? Here is a chance. Each round has 1 person being the whoozit. All other players choose 2 cards from their hand of 4, that they think the Whoozit will like most. The whoozit then privately goes through and ranks the cards in order of most liked to least liked. You might be surprised by the answers! It's a lot of fun, easy and quick. My kids love this game. And as a bonus, my daughter wanted so badly to play, that she started reading, just to keep up with her older brother. I call that a BIG bonus. You can't go wrong with Cranuim games. Their support is second to none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, February 18, 2007
Sam (Charlotte) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
This is a great game to play with people you want to get to know better. It is best played with 4 or more people. My 10 year old daughter typically does not like board games but she continually asks to play WHOONU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the most fun game I've ever played..., April 14, 2008
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
A friend brought Whoonu to my house one night, and we wound up playing many rounds in rapid succession. It was such a riot that I had to buy the game to play with my family--people get really emotional about their choices! I would seriously love to ask anyone I ever could to play Whoonu, because it's a game absolutely anyone can play, and it's the best way I can think of to learn about someone while letting them know things about yourself too.

Whoonu is an awesome "get-to-know-you" game--I don't know what's better, using it to become better acquainted with people you barely know personally or using it to learn more about people you think you already know like a book. The beauty of it is, it works for any group of people! Whether you're extremely close yet or not, the game is super fun and invites silliness. I only wish there could be infinitely many cards! I've never seen a game like Whoonu before. It's all about getting to know each other's favorite things--and you'll probably be shocked at how the things get ranked sometimes!

I also love a somewhat similar game, Imaginiff, which I say is similar because it also focuses on the particular players, and/or people they know. It asks you to basically make a judgment on the other person's personality or likes by selecting what they would be "if they were a ____" on each card. Only, in that one, the person in question has less power--their own choices for themselves matter less than the choice that was picked by the majority of other players. It's the opposite in Whoonu, and I like that you get to determine the winners by sharing your actual favorite things. Still, if you enjoy Whoonu and this type of game, I'd offer Imaginiff as an additional recommendation. I would say that Whoonu is better if you've got a lot of younger people in your crowd and for those with limited attention spans, however, as it's been my experience that just about anyone will grasp the Whoonu concept very quickly and eagerly play several rounds in a row, because they go fast. Imaginiff tends to go on much, much longer, an entire game probably equaling many rounds of Whoonu, and while this doesn't bother me, I have on occasion had a harder time keeping everyone put 'til the end.

The fun never ends with Whoonu--my groups love to mix it up and play one round choosing the "Whoozit"'s favorites, and the next round, picking their least favorites! In that case, you select what you believe the person hates, and the thing they like LEAST gets the most points. Often, you'll have an awful hand for the person you're doing at the moment, because you think they hate (or if you're playing backwards, love) everything you've got. Or maybe you expect them not to care about any of your choices one way or another, or--well, anything can happen. And believe it or not, times like those make it even MORE fun! Playing Whoonu can really tell you a lot about somebody, and always makes a wildly hilarious game for parties or small get-togethers or whatever, so long as you have 3-6 players at a time. With very little set-up, it's incredibly simple and therein lies its genius. Every player gets to be Whoozit, so every player guesses for every other player before the game ends. Plus, the numbered tokens are cool, resembling wavy vegetable chips. Again, I would gladly play this game with just about anyone, and I'm glad I found out about it--I strongly recommend it to anyone, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoo nu a simple game could be so fun?, September 19, 2007
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
My family really likes Cranium Whoonu, as do their friends who come to our home. We bring the game out 2-3 times a week and play a few quick rounds.

As others have noted, you are given cards, one person is the "whoozit", and then you select cards from your hand that you think will be the whoozit's favorite thing.

The whoozit then places the cards in order of preference next to point tokens - his favorite thing will be next to the highest point token, his next favorite thing next to the next highest point token, and so on. This ranking is actually a very nice feature of the game, EVERYONE ends up with a token so you don't have one child who ends up empty handed every time (as has happened to us with Apples to Apples, for instance).

We are always amused and surprised by how the whoozit actually ranks his cards - who knew my oldest son hated zoos because of all the hills he has to walk? Who knew my daughter preferred remote controls to fairs?

This game requires reading, but otherwise, there is no reason to wait for a child to be eight before playing

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative rules, December 10, 2007
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
"Here's the tricky (and not so fun) part: the NEXT Whoozit (the person on the left of the previous Whoozit) gets the DISCARDED cards from the other players PLUS 2 or 3 new cards (depending on how many people are playing). Not only can this get confusing, but it can get FRUSTRATING. If a card that NO ONE likes is in play (say, Watching Race Car Driving), then that card stays in play. "

Easy solution, give a bonus for putting in the lowest card too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun family game, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Cranium Whoonu (Tin) (Toy)
We got this game for Christmas and it was lots of fun to play with friends and family that came for the holidays. Learned new things about each other and enjoyed spending time together.

Cranium Whoonu (Tin)