• Crash

Crash
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 27, 2001
The Dave Matthews Band is a group who you love or you hate. There's hardly ever an in between. Many punk fans dislike Dave, and many fans of heavy guitar loaded three chorders dislike them.
Society isn't used to hearing anything outside of our 4/4 and 3/4 time that we hug and cling to. Dave Matthews challenges this same society with 12/8, 6/8, 5/4, etc.
We're used to hearing the driving pounding straight drum beats, and Carter Beauford comes in with syncopation and creativty, playing the drumset like the musical instrument that it is. A quality not often seen in the post-Buddy Rich era.
The live concerts and the jam sessions. A true art is brought back into music with the Dave Matthews Band. The chemistry, musicianship and improvisation that was seemingly lost in Kansas City with Count Basie and his orchestra.
What is the Dave Matthews Band? Well, their a little bit more musical than most bands out there today. Does that make them bad? No. Does that make everything not DMB bad? No.
Don't dismiss something because it is musical and don't be too quick to dismiss those three chord rock tune. We all have a lot to learn and the best way to learn is to listen.
on June 22, 2003
Some people give Crash a hard time, but it gives amazing classics like Two Step, Tripping Billies, Lie in Our Graves, Too Much, and of course, #41. Now, even though it's true that these songs are better live, this is still an amazing album. Really the only track I dislike is Let You Down, but with that exception, it's a very good album to listen to from start to finish. Someone in one of the other reviews basically said that Drive In Drive Out is a bad song that you can only give "a few listens" to. Well, let me just say that Drive In Drive Out is one of DMB's best studio songs ever, and is a staple of this CD. As far as how it compares to other DMB CDs, Under the Table and Dreaming is a classic with a fresh and energetic feel, Before These Crowded Streets is a dark masterpiece with such depth that it can seem more like a novel or a movie rather than a CD, and this album, Crash, is literally and figurativly somewhere in the middle but is an excellent album nonetheless.
Lastly, if you like or love Dave and play accostic guitar, then you need to buy Live at Luther College. Okay, that's it, hope my ramblings help someone a bit.
on June 1, 2001
If you do not like "Crash," you have either simply not listened to the album, or you have no mind for real music. "Crash" is a classic if there ever was one, and if you are a fan of jazz, alternative rock, or even a little folk, than this is for you. If not, get it anyway, you will still end up loving it! I will explore each song below:
So Much To Say: Good album opener, and a good, up-beat tune to kick of a festival of great music.
Two Step: Dave says this is his favorite tune to play live, and that is understandable. This song is amazing, and though it may take a couple of listens to break you in, it is special.
Crash Into Me: No second-listens necessary, you'll love this upon the first strum of the guitar. This is a softer, but nearly perfect song. Actually, you've probably heard this before, whether you know it or not.
Too Much: Speaking of having heard things before, this hit it big on the radio, and understandably, as it is even better on the album. Another up-beat song, to change the mood from "Crash Into Me." Another great song.
#41: Probably my favorite song on the album. The vocals are like none other, the lyrics are new and different (but, again, special), and the jam session that is this song is magnificent.
Say Goodbye: My 2nd-favorite on the album, as #41 fades into this with passionate bongo drums, and when the beat picks up, it stays passionate, with love ballad-like lyrics. Great song, I love it.
Drive in, Drive Out: Not my favorite by any means, but it is still at very least worth a listen.
Let You Down: I didn't like this at first, but it grew on me and I now truly appreciate it as a piece of music.
Lie In Our Graves: The opening instrumental here kicks off an awesome song, another Matthews classic.
Cry Freedom: Soft, but meaningful song. A Must-listen, it says a lot and is really a nice listen.
Tripping Billies: Great song, shades of "Ants Marching." It is very upbeat, and has soaring instrumentals and fun lyrics. You must here this to believe it!
Proudest Monkey: Well, I like this, call it a guilty pleasure I guess, because it really isn't one of DMB's best, but oh well, it is enjoyable to me nonetheless.
Well, that's it. I hope that helps you make your decision on "buy vs. do not buy." However, I STRONGLY suggest you purchase this if you haven't already, because you will love it, even if not at the first listen, you will eventually, and I would bet the farm on that, folks.
on August 10, 2000
I got this CD after listening to both "Before these crowded Streets" and "Under the Table and Dreaming" and I was impressed. While this CD does have a few slow points like "Cry Freedom" which wasn't like I expected, it has several wonderful songs such as "Tripping Billies" a personal DMB favorite, "Crash into Me" "Drive in, Drive Out", "Too Much" amongst others. It seems that on this CD they found the balance of lyrics and music. On "Before..." the music was good and for the most part so were the lyrics but on "Under the Table..." it was a mixed bag at some points. They've taken basically the high point on this second outing and it shows they've learned a lot since their debut on "Remember Two Things"
While this isn't anything compared to a live concert performance, it's still highly reccomend to any DMB fan. And a non DMB fan should try this too, there's a good chance they'll start liking the band after listening to this album.
on March 11, 2002
This is the kind of album that most music lovers like to purchase . . . something that you can play all the way through without having to skip tracks. Every song has a bittersweet messege in it that you can't help but vibe to. I love Dave Matthew's Band and this album proves why.
on May 1, 2003
Crash was the first DMB cd I purchased, and I've been hooked on their music ever since. It is fully worth purchasing DMB cds because all of them can be listened to straight through in complete enjoyment. The music featured in DMB's Crash sounds so great ultimately because of its many elements, compiled into one jazzy, folk-rock sound. Crash is such a good cd also because the song lyrics are all about enjoying life, and living life to its fullest. I definitely recommend Crash, as well as DMB's Under the Table and Dreaming, featuring much of the same sound. DMB's other cds are a little more jazzy-sounding, some others more folk-based, but are just as great, nonetheless. The live cds are also great because they offer different versions of everyone's studio-recorded favourites. All in all, Crash is my favourite cd in particular because it includes a collection of upbeat songs fully illustrating DMB's musical talent and diversity.
on May 27, 2000
Ah, Dave Matthews Band. The amazing blend of jazz, rock, and folk that spins together to create a sound all their own. A group that you listen to on a rainy day ( I do at least ). All these and more describe 'Crash' the second album from DMB. I can never say enough about this album. It's soothing and adrenaline rushing all at once. I must say I recommend this one more than the rather awful ( although nothing by them is ) 'Before These Crowded Streets'. DMB has always been one of the most original and fun bands to listen to for me. Dave's voice is so strangely scratchy and melodic and the band plays their insturments so inticingly well that it's hard not to want to pick this one up! Some of the standout tracks, besides the inevitable 'Crash Into Me' are : 'Cry Freedom', '#41', 'Say Goodbye', 'Let You Down', and 'Lie In Our Graves'. But they're all good! So pick up this CD, believe me, you'll definately be a permanent fan!
on April 6, 2006
Packed so full, yet each instrument distinct remains to complement, not complicate the overall composition. The album is a testament to the production skills of Steve Lillywhite, who manages to squeeze so much into each track while staying true to the direction of the song - as though a guide through the experience (On your left you will hear). Multiple listenings reveal that infinite listenings may not be enough to savor the full offering of ear candy from a band so fitted together to create not only good music of their time, but to inspire too the music of the future. If there was ever such a thing as destiny it was fulfilled with these five. A favorite on the album is track five and six. "#41" segues into "Say Goodbye" to give an emotionally outpouring and climactically fulfilling melody the necessarily smooth ride down from the transcendent to the earthly sensuous. A full five stars from a biased Dave Matthews Band fan.
on February 19, 2002
I got Crash because I had heard Dave Matthews perform with the Rolling Stones, and I wanted to hear more. I was very impressed with Crash and have since got another 8 DMB albums. The opening track 'So Much To Say' is great, moving through 'Two Step' and 'Crash Into Me' ensuring a great balance between some fast moving acoustic rock and delicately played ballad. The incredible 'Drive In Drive Out' has got to be one of the best examples of the way the group gel together - everyone gets their own part of the song to show their talent - and when the drummer takes over towards the end of the song the atmosphere is electric. Meanwhile 'Lie In Our Graves' is one of the best acoustically driven funk songs I have heard. This album is probably the best to introduce DMB to new listeners, followed very quickly by the 'Listener Supported [Live]' album which shows the new depths the band take these songs to when performing live!
on August 19, 2000
Under the Table and Dreaming was an excellent album, but I think Dave Matthews really shines on Crash. My favorites are So Much to Say, Two Step, and Drive In Drive Out, although there aren't really any weak links. The instrumentation is excellent, although Dave's acoustic guitar and Carter Beauford's drumming particularly stand out (listen to the amazing drumming on Drive In Drive Out). The production/mixing of this CD is also very good; all the instruments sound extremely crisp. And there is almost 70 minutes of music, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. My only complaint about this album is that it doesn't end on a bang: Tripping Billies might have made a better closer than Proudest Monkey, which seems more like an afterthought. But depiste that, this is definitely in my list of the top five albums of the 90s.