4.0 out of 5 stars A good filler, but much better with two players than five
Overall, I like this game. It's easy to understand and quick to play, so makes a good filler when waiting for others, closing an evening, etc.

Published 11 months ago by J. Trimble

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quick filler/microgame
Council of Verona is a fun and quick bluffing game. It plays in about 15-20 minutes and can play 2-5.
The goal of the game is to have the most influence points.

Gameplay:
Each player will get numbered tokens(influence tokens) in their color. These will be face down so other player can't see

Gameplay starts with a drafting phase, where...
Published 8 months ago by skullxleader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good filler, but much better with two players than five, January 15, 2014
J. Trimble (Olympia, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)

It plays up to 5 players, but I find the more you add, the more random the game results seem to feel. This is one of the few where I actually prefer the two-player variant. The card drafting in two players gives you better control over your strategy and gives you more information about your opponent's hand. This makes it more strategically satisfying.

For and five player games feel a lot more random. There's a lot of chaos between one turn and the next and you have much less of an idea what is in each players hand.

Fans of micro-games, two-player face-offs, and of course Romeo and Juliet should definitely consider this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid game, great for fans of Micro Games, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
I backed this game on Kickstarter and really enjoy my copy. For non-gamers there may be a slight learning curve due to its unique play style, but all it takes is playing a couple of quick rounds and it starts to click. The artwork is fantastic and the component quality is more than adequate.

The only reason I am doing 4 stars instead of 5 is because I think the poison expansion completes this game and really makes it shine, I'm not sure if its included in this version or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy to pick up and stellar artwork!, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
I picked this up when it was just a Kickstarter campaign and couldn't be happier with my choice to back it. The initial draw for me was the concept of a "pub game" - something that does not take up a lot of table real estate, can be played in a short amount of time and is very portable. Council of Verona does not disappoint as I can take it with me and play pretty much anywhere - even on an airplane seat back table.

The game itself is easy to learn although it will take you a few rounds to start formulating a strategy. But the best part of this game is that even if you do come in with what you think is a solid strategy, anything can happen to completely turn the game upside down.

I highly recommend this if you're looking for a highly portable game that can be enjoyed quickly. It is very addicting once you get in a few rounds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun times., January 17, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
I really love Shakespeare, microgames, and great art. This game has all three. I am excited about the pub game series. It is nice to have a game where people can play it in a relatively small space. The easy setup and rules make for quick fun that can be played in places that would not welcome gamers. I approached some pub owners about holding a game group at there establishments. Some did not want to allow it. I hope this game will change there mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact game, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
This is a fantastic short and compact game in the same league as Love Letter, but with some very interesting twists. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quick game between games or all night game., January 21, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
Council of Verona is a great little deduction game. It gives me the chance to be sneakily meet my goals while trying to stop others from meeting theirs. It works both as a quiet night in through multiple plays as well as with our gaming group as a whole. So glad I backed this on Kickstarter. I gave another copy as a gift and those friends love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, clever, fun, and easy to teach!, January 4, 2014
Alan F. Kingsley (Wallingford, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
Council of Verona has been a big hit with both my friends and family. The theme is clever and accessible; the game takes minutes to learn and about that much time to play; and the Poison expansion really makes it shine. It's absolutely worth the $14.99 price point and has made me genuinely excited for the next entry in Crash Games catalog.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Microgame, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
This has been my favorite micro game since I learned to play at BGG Con 2013. We play often and it is my go to game when teaching a game to non-gamers. If you like the game, also pick up the poison expansion from BGG.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice depth in a little package, January 13, 2014
Suz in Seattle (Seattle, of course!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
If I could rate this 4.5, I would.

Council of Verona is my go-to gift for friends...reasonable price, nice quality production, and a fun game that has the perfect amount of depth for a "friendly" game. I use this (with games like Hanabi and Love Letter) to expose people to the board game world beyond Monopoly and Risk. There's great Romeo/Juliet flavor throughout the game - especially in the individual scoring attributes per character. Since the game is compact and doesn't require much table space it's easy to have on hand where ever and I recommend you add it to your game collection.

There is also a really great expansion to the game for $5 on boardgamegeek (the poison expansion) that adds a great element to the game and is a must-have.

The game comes with wooden chips that you have to apply stickers to. This bothers some people - but I don't mind...especially at a price of $15. The cards are a very nice quality with lovely whimsical art and the rules are decently written making it pretty easy for new players to read and pick up on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quick filler/microgame, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Council of Verona Game (Toy)
The goal of the game is to have the most influence points.

Gameplay:

Gameplay starts with a drafting phase, where players pick their cards from a group of cards and pass it on to the next player.

The next phase is where the players will take turns playing their cards.
There are two types of cards, agenda and abilities. Agendas have areas where a token can be placed to score points if that condition is satisfied at the end of the game. Ability cards have abilities that take effect when played.

Each turn consists of playing a card, using the ability of the card(if applicable), putting a token onto an agenda card, then the next player takes their turn. Play continues until all the cards are played and then all players get one last turn to put down influence tokens.

Agenda conditions are then evaluated and influence points are scored for those agendas that have tokens. The player with the highest influence wins.

Components:
The components are nice. The cards feel sturdy and the tokens work well.

Overall:
Council of Verona is a fun little game. I'm not sure if there's a whole lot of strategy in it(especially with higher player counts), but it still feels like a deep game. The hidden values of the tokens and bluffing really make this game engaging. It feels great timing an ability just right to eek out a win.
It can feel a bit chaotic at times to keep track of the tokens and cards. The tokens and table space requirement keeps it from being truely portable.

As far as comparing this to one of the most well-known microgame, Love Letter, I'd give Love Letter the edge. Love Letter is ridiculously simple game and plays even faster. It only has 16 cards and requires two piles to be used on the table, making it much easier to play anywhere.

Anyway, Council of Verona is a solid filler. Despite such a small box it does require a bit of table space. You get a lot of nice components for the money. I recommend playing, but I think Love Letter and Hanabi are better games for about the same price range.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›