4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but some Bluetooth issues

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound with a few issues
Published on December 17, 2012 by T. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound with a few issues, December 17, 2012
T. Lee (Arlington, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Here's a real review from someone who actually bought/owns the product. (I purchased this from the Groupon deal as well). The unit itself feels and looks well built, solid metal, attractive color that matches my black iPhone 5. Upon receipt I tried to fully charge the device, but more than 24 hours later, the red led charging indicator light, failed to turn green to indicate the unit was fully charged. Issue #1. I let it charge for an additional 12 hours, but the indicator light is clearly not working.

Connecting it to my iPhone and iPad via Bluetooth were both simple & easy tasks, just make sure you turn off bluetooth on one device before connecting from the other. Now onto the most important factor - sound. I expected better sound quality from this device, it outputs at a solid volume, however the highs are a bit washed out and there is pretty much no bass to be heard, but lack of bass was expected for this type of device. My biggest issue (#2) is that when playing from any source over bluetooth, there is a low hiss and static that is present at all times. I tried from both my iPhone and iPad playing both videos and music and streaming music and the static/hissing is always there, more noticeable at lower volumes. Connecting to the Crasher via a 3.5mm cable eliminates the hiss/static, however the reason I bought the device was to be truly hands/cord free via Bluetooth.

I have emailed Jlab customer support on both issues, the charging indicator & static/hissing and am currently awaiting a response. At this point I am contemplating returning the item, it does have decent sound and I did receive it at a discount however the sound issues are almost a deal-breaker.

One more thing to note, the USB port on the device designed to charge your phones, I tested it out and on a full charge for the Crasher, it charged my iPhone 5 from 22% to 82% before dying. Battery life for music playback seems to be as advertised - I've played it over 12 hours and its still going.

**UPDATE 1/8/13**
Received my 'warranty replacement' from JLAB...and I am still encountering the exact same issues with battery indicator and static/hissing over bluetooth. I'm beginning to think they just sent me back my exact same unit as a 'replacement'. So cost me an additional $10 in shipping and now too late to return to groupon. Will probably just sell on ebay to recover some of my money at this point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but some Bluetooth issues, December 10, 2012
Privateer (Bay Area, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Pros: I bought the Crasher during the JLAB Groupon BF deal. The speaker looks, feels and sounds pretty awesome. I have not compared it to a Jambox though. For it's size, the speakers audio design is extremely well done, the sound is very well balanced and strong across the hole frequency range. Holding it in hand while it's putting out bass is quite impressive. Of course, there are physical limitation to speakers of this size, nevertheless, very well done.

Cons: When sending audio from a Macbook Pro to the speaker, there were audible crackling sound artefacts, which may be due to some kind of Bluetooth stack incompatibility. It's unclear if this can be resolved with a software/firmware update on either device.

EDIT: Cons: Did a quick test with the Crasher as a speakerphone (with Skype, calling the test contact 'echo123'), and had to realize that it's not very good at that. The main problem is the microphone. It doesn't seem to be very sensitive, and only picked up sound very close to the Crasher (~15").

4.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of an Audiophile, August 2, 2013
Though I didn't get this product via amazon, I felt with all the potentially "fake" reviews it would be best to leave a legitimate feed back for others who may follow my investigations. Now lets get down to the Nitty-Gritty.

Sound. I would give this a solid 4 out of 5 on sound quality. The bass isn't shaking the room but you definitely have a full spectrum. My main goal is to use this around the house or while rock climbing. This should meet both of these uses.

Volume. once you have a realistic perception on how big this speaker is (pretty small, seriously the longest point this speaker stretches from the left side of your 'Q' key to the right side of your 'I' key) This speaker actually kicks out some decent sound. 28' from the speaker and in a different room while halfway down a flight of stairs I was still able to hear my music quite well. Outside is a slightly different story though. Beyond a 30' range there is little point to even run these speakers. Music becomes dispersed and external noise starts to take over.

Wireless. why bother... you are wasting more energy than its worth. Seriously though, it takes more energy to use bluetooth and the only perk is you dont have to be right beside the 1 lb completely portable speaker. Never the less, I tested this as well. 20' not a single issue. At 25' with a wall between it started to have connectivity issues. I had no one to call at 6 pm on an idle tuesday so I have not tested the use of this as a headset, but based on what I've seen, its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Device in summary. Would I pay $100 for this, no. I managed to get mine at $40 which is well worth it. These speakers are 10x better than the $20 ipod hook up speakers from Walmart. I believe there may be better speakers out there, however if you do run across a good deal(<$50) these are a decent option.

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all, good, NOT great, March 7, 2013
Trish M. (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
I ordered a couple of these units back in November (Black Friday) for me and as a gift, from the Groupon deal of $59 each. Been using the Crasher for over 3 months now.

I'll start with the positives here:

+ Clean and clear across the board. I listened from Mozart to Metallica and everything else to check out the sounds. The highs, mids, and lows are crisp and distinguishable.
+ The Air Aluminum is very nice to look at. It's a silvery shade. The unit itself has a nice feel and shape to it. It was smaller than I expected. The size can be both good and bad.
+ The charge does hold up for a long time! I haven't timed it yet, but I've listened to it for several days, maybe using it 3 hours per day. It is always on maximum volume. I use an iPhone and a MacBook pro, in case that helps.
+ The charging capabilities for the phone, and the included cables and adapters are really useful.

Now for the negatives:

- The volume! At a maximum volume, it's not all that great. The volume is weak. Yes, I do turn my phone or laptop volume up. It's not all the hyped-up party crasher description it was made up to be.
- The bass is weak. I was very realistic buying this, considering the size and the price. I knew I wouldn't get ground-breaking, heart-thumping bass from this unit. Nonetheless, it's still weaker than I expected. Jlab's claim of "pumps enough bass to wake the neighbors" is WAAAAY OVER-STATED even for a marketing pick-up line.
- Sometimes it will pause for about 2-seconds every 3 minutes or so in the middle of a song. One of the reviewers mentioned this as well. It is quite annoying and disruptive when it happens. I check my connection all the time and it's solid.
- Speakerphone is not clear and barely audible if you go for more than 3 feet away from the unit. Still, it's not a feature I use a lot.

Would I recommend the Jlab Crasher? Not for $100. For a lower price, YES. The clean sound all around plus the nice aesthetics are very good for $60. The lack of strong volume and solid bass is not worth $100 for this unit.

I hope this helps!

UPDATE:

The 2-sec. break/pause I hear every few minutes happens when wifi is on! If wifi is turned off, and I am just using my cellular data (while listening to iTunes, Pandora etc...), the pausing does not happen at all. I try to listen now without wifi, as long as data connection is good. I still am enjoying the Crasher, and been using it quite a bit. The not-so-stellar volume works just fine when I listen to classical music or anything subtle. We used it for an outdoor party once, connecting it to bigger speakers with lots of volume and bass, and it was great! The clarity and crispness of the Crasher still were great even coming out of the bigger speakers! I still don't use the speaker/call feature, since it's not all that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before buying read this review., May 9, 2014
Looking for Wisdom (Denver, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This is going to be a detailed review. First, I highly suggest this speaker. I heard there has been fake reviews and this is not one of them. First, the sound. Let me begin saying I believe Bluetooth speakers are for portability and not for throwing a large party. This speaker gets fairly loud. It is basically the same, if not better than the mini jawbone jam box. It is good for filling one room with sound. If you're just sitting around it's great for that. Honestly, if you're looking for a lot of sound get the JBL Flip. However, there are downsides of the flip I'll mention later. As for sound quality, I think it is very good. It pumps out highs, lows, and mids all very well. However, you will discover a sort of hissing static sound. This is very annoying but you don't really notice it while you're playing music unless you are listening at a very low volume. Moving on, Now I'll talk about the design. It is made out of aluminum, so it is very durable. It can probably survive a rainstorm, but I don't recommend leaving it in one. The design also looks very good. I have received many comments on its looks. Now for features, and there are a lot of features. Number 1, the battery. I know this doesn't sound like a feature, but on the crasher it is. At medium volume, it provides 18 hours! I find this very impressive. However, You probably will have this thing at full volume nearly 75% of the time, so expect around 10-12 hours. The JBL flip is better sounding and louder, but provides only 3 hours of battery at max volume. Number 2, the speakerphone. If speakerphone function is of importance to you, stop reading this review and don't buy it. This is the worst feature of the Crasher. It sucks, but hey you have one and can use it. Number 3, the USB charging feature. This is very nice to have. It can charge phones and MP3 players. However, it will not charge tablets bigger than 7 inches. In conclusion, the crasher provides good sound with good bass and highs and mids, although not at a super loud volume. It has a great battery, and durable and good looking design, and can charge your phones. I strongly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars JLab Crasher works well, May 2, 2014
I ordered the JLab Crasher and it arrived within 3 days! This was a surprise as I live in an isloated rural area. At any rate, after charging the speaker all night, it synced right up with my bluetooth enabled tablet and phone. Sound quality is very good for such a small device. I wanted this speaker so I could move it around my home and screened porch without dealing with electrical outlets. Additionally, the initial charge has lasted six afternoons of use (3-4 hours daily) and still shows it has about 25% of a charge left. I'm impressed. Haven't tried to charge a phone with it, but that wasn't why I got it. I'd give it 5 stars but will withhold that until I've had it several months. My opinion? Worth the bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe my ears, August 11, 2014
By far the best audio device I've ever had. It will play my music no matter where in the house my phone is, the Bluetooth range is just astounding. The quality is perfection no matter the volume, and it packs so much bass in this little package, I was shocked. I loved this so much, when I lost my first one I had to get another to replace it, no substitute would do. As an added bonus, if you are done listening for the day, or if you want some last minute jams but your phone is dead, the jambox will literally CHARGE YOUR PHONE! With the battery almost dead, this has charged my phone to more than 50% while playing music the whole time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, January 4, 2013
This review is from: The Crasher by JLab Loud Portable Bluetooth Stereo Speaker with 18 Hour Battery - Sport Yellow / Gray (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I got JLab crasher from groupon deal for $59. I initially looked for the reviews online and was disappointed that everyone claiming that the reviews were written by JLab people itself, Finally i decided to buy it as groupon lets us return the goods if we dont like it. I received it last week and i keep it close to me most part of the day. The features are pretty good.. i wouldnt say it has the greatest sound but you can expect only so much from a small box. The most important feature i like is its battery backup, it lasts for ever.. i went on a treck/camping with my girl friend in Big Bend National park and this baby lasted the whole day (used the 3.5 mm jack and not bluetooth) at the end of the day when my iPhone was running out of juice i charged it using the crasher (reached from 20% to 70% before dying ). The sound quality is lot better when it is connected through the wire than through bluetooth. While attending a call through the crasher make sure the speaker is atleast 2 feet right in front of you, the quality of the call goes bad as the distance between the phone and the speaker increases. I got the silver with yellow side, the look is very stylish and well made. I would buy another one for my brother very soon. It also comes with a cool bag to carry the speaker.

Highly recommend this speaker if your budget is less than $100 for a portable speaker.
Look at Dr. Dre Pill, jambox and Soundlink 2 if your budget is high

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sounding and easy to use too!!, February 8, 2013
This will be traveling with me when I take my laptop!! Awesome sounding and very easy to set up and use!!
Rugged too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy for the money, June 12, 2014
The battery life on this thing is amazing. I like to use it with an app on my iPad called "Rain, Rain" as I like the sounds as I sleep. I leave this thing on all night long on with the volume completely up, which on the weekends is about 10-12 hours, and it continues to "rock" through out the day. Although, it is not as loud as a JBL Flip it makes up for that in battery life, not to mention it is loads cheaper and has a USB port for charging your phone. The device itself feels very rugged and could take a beating. The sound with genres such as Electronic, Dubstep, Trap, and House start to distort at high volumes as they have many different and loud sounds all at once. The sub woofer is all right but definitely not what the manufacturer would have you believe. Over all this is a great buy for the money.