5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!
"Cravings will leave you satisfied." This book addresses issues with food, low self-esteem,spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Shows you ways to improve your life with food and God. Prayer, mindfulness, and meditation are essential for all of us as we walk this path.

Published 21 months ago by MaryAnn

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons
Published 20 months ago by NoCal Mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Cravings: A Catholic Wrestles with Food, Self-Image, and God (Paperback)

At this point, most of us have tried everything but the one thing that can truly change us: God. When we shift our focus away from our false perceptions and onto the love poured out for us in the person of Jesus Christ, we begin to take those first steps away from the path of sel-hatred and self-destruction, out of the darkness and into the light of life.

Each chapter follows with questions to ask yourself and meditation. This is an example:
Meditation
We are so willing to believe
the negative voices that echo
in our hearts abd head,
the labels that make us think
we can never be good enough,
the words that cut like glass.
But our God has called us by name.
Our God holds us, treasures us,
loves us without conditions.
Is that enough for us?

"Thank more and need less." This is a book for all to read and apply to your everyday life. I was given this book from Ave Maria Press.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons, January 25, 2013
I heard about this book because Catholic mom bloggers like Kate Wicker and Elizabeth Foss posted about it. Here is what I liked about it: It is short, to the point, offering a Catholic spin to common types of weight-loss advice. For instance, there is the common piece of advice to learn to eat "just enough". Poust says Catholics have a reminder of this principle when we think about the Eucharist, with a small Host "just enough" to convey God's grace to us. She makes other really thought-provoking comparisons between the "family meal" we have at Mass and the family meals we should ideally be having at home.

Here is what I disliked about the book: Poust's perspective is primarily Christian BUT she draws often on the "wisdom" of Eastern religion. She speaks often of how she practices yoga, even how she once went on a yoga retreat, and she also cites New Age philosophers like Marianne Williamson. If you are like me, and you believe that there are dangers to dabbling in yoga, Eastern religion, and the New Age, you will want to be aware of Poust's interest in those views before you buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book we all need to read, January 11, 2013
I thought, as I picked up my copy of Cravings: A Catholic Wrestles with Food, Self-Image, and God, by Mary DeTurris Poust, that it would be a pleasant read (the author is an impeccable writer) that I would then pass along to a few people (which I will) and then move on.

After all, I do not have an eating disorder. I've only recently been able to gain weight. (Don't throw things. I can't help it.)

What I found, though, was not a book that was about recovering from an eating disorder. What I discovered within this book was a mindset that points to how disordered we are.

This book gave me a "Theology of the Body applied to life" sort of jolt. Everything we do with the physical impacts us spiritually. Without balance in eating--something we have to do, something we often want to do, but something we so often treat as incidental--we lose balance in much of the rest of our life, from how we relate to people to how we focus on God.

DeTurris Poust is a masterful journalist, and that's how she weaves interviews throughout this book in a way that's fascinating and inspiring. But she's also someone who's been there, who continues to struggle, and who has found a Catholic response.

What makes this book great is how DeTurris Poust bares her heart and shares her struggles. She's not the poster child for weight loss or being the perfect eating family.

She's a Catholic wife and mom who continues to struggle. She's a woman who has found peace...and it's not on the scale and, in fact, it doesn't even involve the scale.

The peace comes from a healthy relationship with that thing we do during so much of our waking time--eating.

This book isn't just wonderful for the theory it presents. Oh, no, you'll find practical solutions to...well, to the fact that you rush through breakfast and can't stop snacking all afternoon and wondering what exactly you ate for dinner. She doesn't give you a diet or a top secret "follow these seven steps to healthier living" list.

Instead, you'll find within these covers a challenge to embrace your faith, which means including your eating habits as part of your faith life.

Wait a minute. Whaaaa?

Yes. Really.

When's the last time you looked at your Cheerios and coffee as a chance to have a sacred moment? How often do you pause and NOT multi-task during your dinner? A snack is fine...but is it for your body or your mind?

After reading this book and considering my own life, I have to say this: I have a disorder. We all do. It's called sin. It infiltrates everything, and yet...and yet, we need look no further than our own Catholic faith to find redemption.

Mass is a meal.

A meal!

Yes, I knew it before. But the way it's drawn out in this book is truly wonderful and was, for me, a unique viewpoint It was not in a hammer-over-your-head experience, but more like the gentle melting of an Andes mint in your mouth.

There's a lot of good in this book, so much that I suspect this will be one of the top gifts I give close friends and family in the coming months. My copy's sure to get beat up (and accidentally lent to someone who won't return it, thus necessitating another copy).

5.0 out of 5 stars CRAVINGS will be a pivotal point in the faith journeys of those who read it., January 8, 2013
Jeff Young (New Orleans, Louisiana) - See all my reviews
A number of months back, I received a pleasant invitation to be interviewed by an author who was working on a book about food and faith. Since I love to talk food and faith, I happily obliged. I had never heard of Mary DeTurris Poust before, but she asked some great questions, and she certainly piqued my interest.

Shortly thereafter, I received an invitation from the publisher to read an advanced copy of the book and to write a blurb for marketing purposes. I agreed. I was genuinely interested in the book, but to be honest, I first approached the reading of it as "work."

I had no idea what was about to hit me.

Personally, reading CRAVINGS was a powerful experience for me. It is not often that I cry when reading a book, but I cried more than once while reading CRAVINGS. Why did I cry? Because the truth is beautiful. God is beautiful. I have been writing and speaking about food, faith, and family since 2008. I see connections in Scripture, in the liturgy, and in Catholic practice that can really help families to grow in faith and love around the family table. I get so excited when I meet other people who see the same thing. Mary definitely sees it.

I am convinced that CRAVINGS will be a pivotal point in the faith journeys of those who read it.

It took me by surprise, and it brought me joy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Yoga References For A Catholic, March 7, 2013
Though this book contains some good points and good advice, if you are looking for a more Catholic approach to weight loss you would be better off learning Suzanne Fowler's "The Light Weigh". Poust only repeats some of what can be learned by The Light Weigh. Poust is a little too enthusiastic of Yoga and Eastern Spirituality for this Catholic's comfort. She mentions at one point in the book that she has even been to a yoga retreat. Poust also mentions in the book that she has never "had to lose" more than 10 to 15 pounds. It is hard for someone like me, who is legitimately overweight, to take someone like this seriously.

In summary, .....meh. You are better off learning "The Light Weigh". Mary Poust deserves credit for taking a spiritual approach to weight loss, but "Cravings" is just okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Approaching Eating with Prayer and Mindfulness, March 10, 2013
So many parts of this book felt like they were written just for me. It definitely gave me a lot to think about, and I think it is one that I will refer back to from time to time. I enjoyed the author's approachable style and the fact that the book wasn't overly long.

Although re-establishing a healthy relationship with food is a major focus of the book, it covers so much more than that. Other topics touched upon include: incorporating prayer and mindfulness into our eating (this is the main theme), being in tune with the seasonal rhythms of fasting and feasting, the importance of family meals, the role of food traditions in fostering community, the monastic approach to eating, the beauty and joy of nourishing our bodies, and, most importantly, how surrendering all things--even our eating--to God is the true path to peace and fulfillment. It also gives very practical tips and everyday steps that can help one to adapt a prayerful and mindful attitude towards eating--and living. I also loved the poetic meditations at the end of each chapter.

In short, there was very little I didn't like about this book. I'm so thankful for discovering this gem, and I highly recommend it. I'm glad I have my own copy, because I did lots of underlining while reading!

P.S. There are some mentions of the author practicing yoga; she even goes on a yoga retreat. I'm not really sure what to think about yoga. I did it for a brief time a few years ago, but just recently I learned more about its connection with transcendental meditation (which I'm definitely not a fan of). So I'm just throwing it out there that it's mentioned here. Since otherwise the book is so good, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt in this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT just another healthy eating, weight management book!, January 10, 2013
Even if you think your attitude toward food is perfectly ordered, you'll want to read Cravings. That's because Mary DeTurris Poust's marvelous book isn't about eating healthy, dieting, weight management, or self-image. Oh, sure, it addresses those topics, but then it goes far beyond them to helping readers to form a new attitude toward food, physical and spiritual well-being, gratefulness, and our relationship with God and his abundant and beautiful creation. It's about slowing down and learning to appreciate his goodness through not only what's on our plates, but also in our surroundings and the people in our lives. I approached the book from the perspective of a writing colleague and finished it from the perspective of an enlightened reader who realizes she's got some serious changes to make in her life! Of course, folks with food and self-image issues will benefit from this book, but so will anyone who wants to become more mindful of what they do, why they do it and Who is truly at the center of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it., January 25, 2013
How many diet books have you read that come across as if they have the answer? And once you implement their program, all your troubles will be over? Repeat. All.

Cravings author and contributors share honestly not only their triumphs, but their struggles. It makes you really feel normal!!

But the most important thing is that Cravings really deals with the crux of our weight/diet fixation -- an inability to trust the Lord's provision for us and rest in His lavish abundant love for us -- just as we are! Not ten pounds lighter!

Ignore all the magazine covers you will pass in the grocery store that scream about the latest new diet. Listen pleasantly to your friend about her new 17-day diet miracle. And pass up all the diet books out there. This book has the answer. And it's not what you eat.

It's Who loves you, baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cravings, December 23, 2013
In perfect condition; and an excellent book, very helpful and insightful, for anyone to read as we are "journeying" together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot!, October 6, 2013
This book is so real, Mary writes clearly, with insight and wisdom. She shares personal experience, backs it up with facts.and where applicable, the Scripture related message that will guide the reader to a deeper understanding and relationship with God. This is a must read for those who are on a personal quest to recovery of food addiction and compulsive overeating with the added bonus of enriching our spiritual journey.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cravings: A Catholic Wrestles with Food, Self-Image, and God
Cravings: A Catholic Wrestles with Food, Self-Image, and God by Mary DeTurris Poust (Paperback - December 17, 2012)
$13.95 $11.97