Five stars are reserved for ReechCraft Bronco's, which cost 5 or 6 times more. Actually, the Bronco's deserve 10-stars on a 5-star scale.

Several sets of these Crawford's have endured four years of heavy use by me, almost always set up for stud cutting/header assembly or for panel cutting. No failures, no corrosion, just a little paint fading.

I...
Published on August 20, 2008 by C. Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, clumsy, unstable, unsafe
All the safety and material damage issues in this review have happened to me more than once, but no more. I'm dumping mine in the ocean to become artificial reefs.

Published on September 22, 2007 by Wings42

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong, serviceable; safe, if you are smart; dangerous, if stupid, August 20, 2008
This review is from: Crawford Adjustable 25-Inch to 34-Inch Tall Folding Steel Sawhorse, Single (Tools & Home Improvement)

I NEVER use these bucks on soft or unstable ground. I imagine the legs would punch into the soil around a construction site. If I had to, I'd adapt my leg wedges, describe below.

They are always cheaper at the local home centers ($20/each today) because of weight effect on shipping costs.

ALWAYS short screw a 2x4 or 2x6 top plate on to keep blades away from steel (notch one end of top plate with 1-3/8" recess and the other end with a 1-3/4" recess to support interior and exterior doors - consider lining with felt to protect door finishes).

FABRICATE a wedge to brace the legs. I never use these leg wedges with heavy loads, which keep the sawhorse stable and safe by gravity, alone. But with light loads, you need leg wedges, which can be metallic or dimensional lumber or even plywood trapezoids. With these in place, the legs can't close and the assembly remains rigid.

If you go plywood, you can make a trapezoid which comes to within eight inches of the cross bar. Use a rectangle of plywood to join the two trapezoids and you have created an under-table frame on which you can set up a shelf to store additional tools (saws, squares, straight-edges, etc.). In doing this, notch the plywood trapezoids and cross panel to interlock (like a knock-down eggcrate). This gives you parts which store flat, but which provide a foundation for the sawhorse when set up. Then, open up the Crawford and just drop it onto the plywood foundation, rigidly locking everything in place. Throw on your shelf board and you've got something awful close to five stars in usefulness and safety.

As I said earlier, I never work these sawbucks on soft ground, but if I had to, I'd secure a 2x6 or 2x8 scrap to the bottoms of my 4 trapezoid plywood wedges and then prepare a level patch of ground to place each of the 4 wedges on as the start of set-up, then lock each pair of wedges with the cross panel, then place the Crawford on top.

Seems like a lot, but it all stores flat and it is all as safe as a $300+ pair of Bronco's for $40/pair plus wood scraps and short screws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sawhorse for it intended purpose, December 8, 2008
I have used many types of sawhorses in my renovation business. If I want strength and hold weight, I go for these. They take a little more time to set up due to the folded legs and the extension set up, but, how else would you get something that can hold this type of weight that can be folded into its compact size. The plastic ones will bend on you, they take up extra space due to lack of compactness and the tops on the plastic ones tend to break when to alot of weight and movement. To hold a lot of weight you need the metal horses. to make something that can be collapsed into a minimal space for storage that can hold weight, the only option in the market are these metal horses.

I have found these metal ones to be stable and have not had a problem with them collapsing. I have had one set up outside holding siding and materials for months without a problem. If, you have problems with people or material bumping into them that is a separate issue. A simple fix for it is to cut a 2x4 to the desired width and put it inbetween the spread legs. I took one set and drilled holes in the top and ran a stringer across the full space to form a rigid platform. Easy to take back apart. Simple solution.

Again, great items for their purpose --1) Ability to fold these sawhorses into a compact size that takes up very little space, 2) Ability to easily transport them as they have a built in handle, and most importantly, 3) Ability to hold a lot of weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crawford Adjustable Folding Steel Sawhorse, January 11, 2007
J. Royall (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
Sawhorses (you'll want two) are great for many home projects but they take up a lot of space when you're not actually using them. The Crawford sawhorses solve that problem and they are height-adjustable, too. A nice feature for sure. They are easy to fold and conveniently store in a small space. They are fairly heavy but this may be a good thing depending on what you're working on at the time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, clumsy, unstable, unsafe, September 22, 2007
Wings42 (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews

They are indestructible. That's a plus with wooden or plastic sawhorses but a negative with this sixteen pound steel monster. They can damage things because the ends can have the force of a sledge hammer when folded and moved for transport or storage.

They are clumsy and hard to open because the legs have to be folded out and spread while the thing is unsupported (you can support the second one on the first to unfold and spread the legs). Take care when unfolding the legs, because you can get a nasty pinch by the "ears" that are supposed to stop the legs from folding inwards.

The instability is the worst fault. There is nothing keeping the legs spread apart except friction with the floor and the weight of the load. If the load get bumped, the legs on one end can and do come together. At that point, the little ears stopping the legs from folding back into the base no longer engage and the entire load falls in an unpredictable manner. You can see that situation with the far set of legs in the picture. This doesn't happen with a couple of 2 X 4's but is a big problem with a stack of solid core doors or wooden panels. It's happened one time too many with me in spite of care. The damage caused cost me far more than a set of stable, lightweight, quality sawhorses would have.

I think these sawhorses should be taken off the market as unsafe. They deserve a zero star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have little space, June 14, 2010
If you just need a sawhorse you should buy a standard upright sawhorse made of wood. You will save money and it will work just fine. Or better yet buy a statics book, build your own to your own specifications and learn something. I bought this because I had very little space to work with and needed some sawhorses that folded up, for this they work just fine. There is a lot of whining going on about them collapsing and I honestly don't know how these people managed to collapse their sawhorse unless they are very clumsy people and always bump into things. Open it up, spread the legs as far as possible and press down. Done. They are very strong and sturdy. I have two complaints but they are minor. If you use a power sander on boards that are laying on them. The vibration causes yellow paint to come off on your wood. This is annoying but can be fixed by clamping boards onto the sawhorses so you get wood on wood vibration instead. The other complaint is that they are too short even with the legs all the way out. I am 6'1" and they are just a couple of inches too short, but I like my sawhorses high. Use your own height to compare if you want.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, November 4, 2011
With the Crawford name, I was hoping these might be decent quality, but they aren't. Even @ the reduced price of $34.54 per pair, it's more of the same MADE IN CHINA stuff; when set up, they wobble on the long axis, which might be a safety issue and when folded, they're difficult to carry when the legs keep folding open... poor tolerances. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy another pair of these even if they were $20 per. If you expect quality and work for the money you spend, find a Tote-A-Horse sawhorse dealer (Fulton Corp) and buy something MADE IN USA. Tote-A-Horse came out with their folding sawhorses over a decade ago and were most likely what the Chinese Crawfords were copied from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these guys, November 10, 2010
Scott FS (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have three sets of these sawhorses, and I'm looking to buy another pair (I wish the guy who wanted to make an artificial reef with these would give them to me instead).

I agree that the sawhorses might collapse if you put an engine block on them, or if you (shudder) stand on them. Guys, it's not a scaffold or a engine hoist. These are sawhorses for goodness sakes!

I have never had problems with the instability mentioned here. Perhaps they have changed manufacture or something. I've been really happy with mine. I have a small business maintaining rental property and these are so darned handy.

I agree with those who dislike the plastic sawhorses. I don't like them either. They are not solid and they take up a lot of room. These take up very little, which is important if you have a lot of stuff as I do.

Highly recommended if you use them as God and nature intended. Still highly rated if you misuse them. If they give you trouble or don't perform well, then it's because they weren't used correctly.

I'm here to buy another pair. How much more do you need to know about how I feel about them?

1.0 out of 5 stars one of my worst purchases, April 7, 2010
I needed some sawhorses bad so I grabbed these at home depot without checking them out and regretted it ever since. The legs just keep working together until they're ready to fall over and then I have to bend down and spread them apart and this just goes on and on. Add on the fact that once I lengthened the legs they would no longer fold into the top and you end up with nothing more then something to store lumber off the ground with.

3.0 out of 5 stars adjustable, but not very, January 30, 2013
N. Hawks (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Strong and good lookin', but not very adjustable; you only really get 3 levels. It worked for our application, but I wouldn't order 'em again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy, pinch-points, major bolt failure, September 30, 2012
I agree these are too heavy, have bad pinch-points at the ends, and are sometimes damage-creating themselves. I rarely use them and turn to plastic sawhorses for most work. After about 4 years the main bolt threads somehow became stripped so one is out of commission. I can't find the manufacturer so no replacement bolt available.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›