4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry for the negative post!!!
Published on July 2, 2011 by Jeff Holbrook

3.0 out of 5 stars WAY OVERPRICED, but fun while it lasts
Published on May 14, 2011 by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars WAY OVERPRICED, but fun while it lasts, May 14, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
First, this chalk kit is only 9.99 at Target. I don't know why its this expensive on Amazon. We bought a pack last night and did all the mixing and pouring into the molds, then waited over an hour (the package says it sets in 25 minutes) and I ended up using my blow dryer to try to dry them up a little bit so the kids could use them. They only glow for 4 hours, so time is of the essence. Even after drying them, they were still damp, but we were running out of time to use them. My second problem is the size. This kit makes 8 little tiny chalk pieces that last about 30 seconds. When I popped them out of the mold (trust me, I was very careful), most of them crumbled and broke. The kids had fun with what was left, but for $10, there should have been 3 times more pieces at least. I won't buy them again mainly due to the price. So they are cute, but you need to buy a few packs to make a fun activity out of it. That's a lot of money for low-quality chalk. The TV ad shows the kids drawing everywhere with the chalk, but to do even a 10th of that amount of drawing, you would probably need 100 packs of this stuff! I recommend NOT buying them unless you can get them for under $5. (and make sure you buy at least 2 so you can have some fun!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry for the negative post!!!, July 2, 2011
Jeff Holbrook (Palm City, Florida, US) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
I had initially raked crayola over the coals about this product and I have since retracked my review to post this one. Instead of posting negativity I want to take the time and post what might help those that don't understand the product as I had to learn by trial and error myself. I have to agree with everyone else's reviews initially about having too much water sitting on top of the chalk while curing, the fact that it does crumble easy and you have to be somewhat gentle (younger kids might use too much force thus breaking it up into dust).

I did have too much water sitting on the molds and I did follow the directions. They also took over an hour before they finally started drying. I did take them into a dark room and the glow was minimal. The key for us was baking biscuits. I had just pulled some biscuits out and turned the oven off. I thought, why not put the chalk in there and see if it dries out any faster. After about ten minutes my daughter and I pulled the chalk out and it was steaming. lol A little hot to the touch, but once it cooled we took it outside and the glow was awesome! We started drawing on the patio and the color was great. The green and yellow showed up the best. I don't know what the oven did to the chemical process but, I would actually buy this product again after the trail and error. My daughter really loved it after initially thinking it was going to be a flop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you buy!!!, September 9, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
Do not use the mold!!! If you decide to try out this product despite all the negative reviews, you need to know this! Baking is the only way the chalk will work. Mix the chalk as the instructions say but do not put it in the mold. Instead pour it in round disks or log shapes on a baking sheet and bake it at 400 degrees for about 10 minuets. This hardens the chalk and really brightens the glow. You will also need 3-4packages if you have 2-4 kids, otherwise you will only have enough for about 5 minuets. Given the fact that you have to buyMANY boxes and doctor up this product, it is way over priced. I wouldnt spend more than $5 on it if you can help it. I expected so much more from crayola. It is a great idea but the execution just isn't there. I hope crayola will improve after all of these reviews...

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed., May 15, 2011
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
Bought this item at Target and could not wait to get home & color the driveway with the kids. When I opened the box I realized the chalk pieces were so small. After coloring the driveway we went back out in the evening & NOTHING! No glowing chalk. Then my kids accidently left it out in the rain & what was left melted away (our fault).
This would be a great product if it worked. Very dissapointed:)Thanks for reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product. VERY DISAPPOINTED., September 24, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
My son got this as a birthday gift from his grandpa. He was SO excited to use it. He loves chalk, space, and glow in the dark things. We followed the directions *exactly* as written, but had the same problems many other reviewers have mentioned. After over an hour, the chalk still hadn't set up in the molds (and this was after blotting excess water that had risen to the top of two of them). My husband eventually tried using a hair dryer on the chalk - didn't do much to speed up the drying time. We looked at the chalk in a pitch-black room & still could barely see two of the colors glowing. And the 8 tiny pieces you get are definitely NOT worth the money. We did our best to act positive and really enjoy it for our son's sake, but we were all very disappointed. We ended up using several of the "pieces" of chalk as finger paint, since we were afraid they'd either stop glowing by the time they finally dried or that my son would never get to bed tonight waiting on these things to dry! I'm going to be contacting Crayola about such a POOR product. What a shame that my son was so disappointed with his birthday gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars No star review, July 7, 2012
BeckyFS (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
Man am I sorry I didn't check Amazon first. Wanted something fun for the kids to do on Fourth of July. None of the chalk dried after FIVE HOURS nor did it glow. Waste of time, money, and excitement. DO NOT BUY even if free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK..., May 26, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
I saw these in a commercial and thought the kids might enjoy them. They are bit over price even the 10 that I paid and Wal-Mart was a bit much. First, you have to mix the chalk yourself and be super careful about how much water you add. Think less is more. After an hour setting up (only supposed to take 25 min) they were still super wet and fragile. If they didn't use a plastic mold I would say bake them you might get better results. Second, the molds are cute shapes but very tiny and you only get 8 pieces of chalk. Third, they don't glow very bright. It has to be pitch black just to see the glow. Any amount of light and you just get colored chalk. I think what upset me the most about them is that they won't show up in a picture. The pictures you see on the box and in the commercial are super enhanced and edited. The only reason I would even consider getting this again is because despite all the flaws the kids thoroughly loved the glow chalk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
I'm a fan of Crayola's Glow in the Dark Chalk. Given that it is only $10, you get what you pay for: good yet fleeting fun. The key to making the chalk, though, is baking it. After letting it sit in the molds for an hour, I popped out the chalk onto a baking sheet (an idea I got from another review) and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes. Once I did that, the glow was brilliant and the chalk was solid enough to write with. Had I not baked it, I would have been terribly disappointed with the end result.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, October 25, 2013
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
I'm just another reviewer telling you not to buy this. It doesn't work. We also tried the Glow sand and it barely glows as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Crayola Glow Chalk Maker (Toy)
I usually love Crayola products but this one is a complete waste of money. I followed the directions EXACTLY as written and after an hour and a half, the chalk was STILL liquid. I tried following some of the suggestions from other reviewers about blow drying as much as you can to get it out of the mold. After about 15 minutes blow drying, I tried popping them out and they came out in tiny mushy pieces. I then tried to put it in the over for about 10 minutes, per previous reviewer and yes, they did dry out a little but the pieces are so small they are barely use-able. What a disappointment! My son was really looking forward to this too :(

Crayola Glow Chalk Maker