Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crayola Glow Dome
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 25, 2009
Kids are supposed to draw on the dome, then flip the switch for different light shows. While the colors are interesting and pretty during the light show, there is no reason to play with this more than one or two times. The "hook" of this toy is the new experience of drawing on the dome, and then having your crayon drawings turn magical colors. Once the kids got past that, they were not interested in playing with it again. That's ALL the action it has gotten in my house even when other kids have been over. It is not easy to clean -- an adult will have to clean it each time -- and it is very, very loud. Do not waste your money.
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2009
My 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son both love this dome. It is actually fun to watch. The beautiful colors and the circling action of the dome are really beautiful. It is made of a heavy duty plastic that wipes clean easily. Love it...also it is only $[...] at target
on December 9, 2009
I bought one of these for my Grandson who is a big fan of light-up drawing toys. This one was dissapointing. It's not easy to draw on, and it's definitely not simple to clean, especially if the ink is left on it over night. The unit makes an obnoxious noise.
After a while the Glow Dome loses its novelty and it becomes a dust collector.
I was expecting something better from Crayola.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2010
Bought it for my 11 year old daughter for Xmas 09. I only paid $18.00, I don't suggest you pay much more than that if you can help it, because you may or may not get that much entertainment value out of it. My daughter used it once so far and found it pretty "cool". She likes arts and crafts, etc.., but this item can lose its mystique pretty quick. She did some designs on it, enjoyed it for what it was and was pretty much ready to move on. I think kids today are exposed to so much by the time that they are 11 these days, heck most of her friends either have cell phones, itouchs or both. Its not like when I was a kid and Lite Brite was like heaven on earth and we played with it forever. Younger children will problem really enjoy this toy alot if they haven't been over exposed to alot of hand held electronics. Just don't pay a lot for it.
on February 8, 2010
My grand daughter had to have this for her 8th birthday and was so thrilled to receive it. She seemed to have really enjoyed at first but has since lost intrest in it. I think it maybe better for younger children as she is at an age where she enjoys a challange and this maybe just too young for her. As far as the toy itself in concerned it is nice, very colorful, well made, and easy to use.
on November 25, 2015
We've actually had this for a few years now . I'm trying to review some of my sons toys before the holidays come so that it might aid others in choosing their purchases . My son is now 7 and still enjoys this . You do have to replace the markers that come with it over time , but I think that's only natural . If anything it has taught him to be a lot more creative with his own drawings instead of the ones that came with this set . Please note that we did use the drawings at first , now he's doing his own thing . And that's the kind of play that I personally encourage .
It rotates , lights up and meets several sensory needs . Very easy to clean , use a damp paper towel to wipe off , dry it and you're ready for new drawings .
It's really a great toy when you shut off the lights and enjoy the glow feature . He has spend many hours playing with this .
I highly recommend it . It's quality , and aids in their own creativity ,
on January 19, 2011
I bought this for one of my nieces for Christmas - she is 8. At first, she was off playing with it by herself, but then we couldn't help but join in the fun. This thing does more than I thought it would do, and me being too lazy to read the instructions, she had it all figured out on her own anyway. We used some boxes for a body and made the dome a big glowing robot head. Then she made it into a volcano. It was very cool, especially with the lights turned off. I was really impressed with this thing, and it was well worth the small price (I would have expected to pay about twice this much). The shipping was fantastic, I ordered it last minute and it was delivered very quickly. If you buy this for a kid, bring a couple AA batteries with you, because they will want to play with it right away!
on December 25, 2011
Well, it's Christmas and my son just opened his brand new Crayola Glow Dome! How exciting? Right?

Okay, that's some sarcasm. While it is Christmas, and my son did get a brand new Crayola Glow Dome, it's not really exciting. Why? Because my husband is currently trying to get it to WORK. It has brand new batteries in it (that were also purchased on Amazon haha). The problem is the dome doesn't sit on the track the right way-so while if we get it sat down the lights work, the dome just will not rotate. Sure, we push the button and it goes around-for about 2 seconds and then it completely shuts off-lights and all.

It is a great toy in theory-and looked awesome on the commercials, but after reading several other reviews this seems to be a pretty common issue and isn't related to just one dome, therefore not worth trying to get a new one in exchange.

So if you have patience and cardboard (what we are using as a crutch to "fix" the off track dome)-give it a try. But if you want a toy that works out of the box (like most of us do), save your money and buy something else!
on October 2, 2010
Bought this for my 3YO wanting a fun nightlight. Thought drawing his fave chars would be a nice addition, but he is just too young and it's too loud. At times it helps, but think I should have waited until he was older. It's deffinately durable and strong though. He has taken it apart to stand on with no problems. I also reccomend keeping the markers stored away. He got into one and it dried out fast. He does have a thing for space atm, so the instructions for the space theme was nice, and I imagine could lead to fun as a space education tool later.
on February 12, 2014
My grandaughter loved it last christmas. It was cool to turn out the lights and play their favorite pix with the glow dome. Crayola also has a nice Internet site to print out more pictures so if any get lost print out some more! Needed more for her little sister to color and display also. Kids always like it when you play along too. I always lose our contest on who can color the best. Another great thing is the machine has self storage for the crayons. NICE TOUCH-parts stay together for the next time we play! Maybe then I'll be the champ and can add how I became the CHAMPION OF ALL TIME. sorry , I was dreaming there...