Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now Tikes

The Crayola Glow Station possesses a very high coolness factor that will appeal to kids. I mean, who doesn't enjoy stuff that glows in the dark? That you can create the glow-in-the-dark fun yourself only adds to the allure. Run the light wand over the Glow Station's surface and voila! A glowing masterpiece.

The Glow Station itself is a sheet of light-sensitive plastic material of approximately 21" by 15" framed at the top and bottom by two plastic bars that can hold some of the pieces that come with the set. There is no solid back on the Glow Station, so it can be rolled up for storage.

The light wand has an LED at one end and comes with a crystal-like attachment for making stars. The light wand takes 3 AAA batteries.

The set includes 14 positive/negative stencils and two printed acetate texture sheets with a dozen textures that can be combined with the stencils to make intriguing designs.

Included is a dry erase marker and a blank acetate sheet for creating your own artwork. Rub the light wand over your design and the glow-in-the dark negative will form on the Glow Station surface.

The quality of the components is good, though the glow-in-the-dark surface is a little flimsier than one might hope.

Use the light wand with or without the crystal attachment to form glowing designs through freehand, stenciled, and textured drawing.

*Glows in the dark--always fun
*The stencils and textures add thoughtful variety
*The components are well designed
*Contains hooks to hold the acetate sheets and positive stencils, and a small bin to hold the negative stencils
*Will keep kids focused on an activity for a good while

*To reach its maximum effectiveness, the Glow Station needs to be in the dark for several minutes before using, making an antsy wait for some kids
*Needs a dark room, so if you don't have one, you're out of luck
*Contains an opening at top for holding the Glow Station, so you need a nail or other kind of hook to support it upright (as the Station does not have a solid backing to support itself)
*The dry erase marker is not for use directly on the glow-in-the-dark surface--and we all know what happens when you mix kids and "don't do this" (though I am unsure whether the marker can be removed from the surface or not, as I was unwilling to test it)
*The designs may fade faster than kids like

* This is one of those "the manufacturer didn't try the final product" errors that drives parents batty. The glow-in-the dark surface has a large sticker on its front side that gives some final warnings and instructions. Rather than make this sticker easily removable, Crayola made it out of paper. It readily tore in tiny pieces or had the paper come away from the adhesive, leaving a mess that took a half hour of scraping and cajoling with a fingernail to remove. As I was unsure whether the surface would hold up under the kinds of solvents that might remove the adhesive, I was left with a real chore--while my kid was dying to use the toy. A plastic sticker could have been removed in one piece, so why did Crayola opt for this cursed paper sticker that left behind a mess and a scarred surface (as the scraping with my fingernail left scratches in the Glow Station's surface)? How I would love for the Crayola management team to suffer through that same inane sticker-removing process.

Cons aside, this is a fine toy that will delight (pun intended) children, and even a few "big kids." The price--around $25--is good, too. Even those kids who may not be into drawing will be drawn in by the glow-in-the-dark fun.

A few people have commented that I failed to remove the clear, protective film from the Glow Station's surface, and that doing so avoids the struggle with the paper label. That's absolutely true. I checked and the film was still on ours. The nearly invisible film does peel away from the surface with a solid pull.

In my defense, it's impossible from looking at the unit to see that it has a protective film, nor did I immediately notice any reference to removing that film in either the instructions or the paper label. That's not to say they aren't there, only that they weren't quickly apparent, especially when a very eager child is wanting to play right away.Crayola could make this more apparent.

So bump up the stars by one.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2009
I purchased this for my 3 yr old and after reading the reviews I can't help at laughing. Some are complaining that you can't use it during the day- it is a GLOW station, I don't know of anything that glows in the "light" it does normally have to be dark. And some are complaining that it isn't more stationary.. it is the ON THE GO board..meaning it is portable, there is a larger one that is stationary, but this is not it. The product is what it states it is, and it's not misleading. It's great for the car at night, and at bedtime. Like any other item that glows in the dark, it does have to be exposed to light to "recharge". My daughter loves it and has gotten a lot of use from it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2009
I bought this for my 2 year olds birthday. Yes I know the recommended age, but my two kids (2 and almost 4) absolutely love this. It does work with out complete darkness and yes it does fade quickly which is why I think younger children will enjoy it. What I have noticed is that it is hard to draw well with the light pen as whenever the pen approaches the board it makes a glow circle as it approaches which I think would frustrate children that can draw. It is very hard to do any real pictures or writing due to this issue. Younger kids do not mind as they scribble or do circles and then laugh about the cool neon green color they created. My friend and I tried to write basic names and were not impressed with how they turned out so if your child is a perfectionist and wants to make pictures that are even slightly complicated I would not suggest this toy. Otherwise it is a wonderful toy to use before bed or just to waste time when parents need a little bit of time to accomplish . I also think that it is very thin and does not look durable....should not be an issue if your kids dont stand on it though :)
on May 11, 2010
My son got this for his 4th birthday. We have been having so much fun with it! Basically, its a glow in the dark strip and a flashlight. You use the light to draw pictures. We've had fun finding different objects to put on the board and make impressions of every night. I'd like to respond to some complaints.
You don't need a dark room, although it would be really fun in complete darkness.
So what if the picture fades. If you want a permanent picture, use paper and markers.
It does not need to be in complete darkness before you start. If you want to start with a clean slate, maybe so, but its still fun if its been exposed to light.

My son, who has never been interested in writing his letters has spent so much time writing them on this thing every night. He even learned to draw hearts! He wrote his name on paper for the first time the other day.

We've been using this thing in the house mostly, but I think it will be great on long car trips too.

What a great gift!
on February 16, 2009
Not a bad buy at all. My boy loves to play with it as he falls asleep. He is 5 and enjoys it.
on January 1, 2010
My son got this Christmas '08. Everyone loved it. Not just him but his cousins, him, our neighbors son, all of his friends. It has been a great investment. It has endured many hours of travel in the car, plane, and toy box. I would say that proves that it is durable. We don't let kids jump on it or anything but it has been around for over a year now. The little stencils that come with are kind of beat up but the board itself has held up. The draw back that I find is that it doesn't work except in the dark - so during the day it can be difficult for the kids to find a good place to play with it - sometimes a dark bathroom or closet works. But not in the car or such. But it is a lifesaver at night in the car or on a plane at night. He likes to play it in his room at night. It doesn't have the same appeal to him as it did when it was new but he does still play with it & he always comes back to it - much like the doodle boards. They now have a day/night version but this x-mas it was listing at more than $50 so if that comes down I will get him one of those so he can play with it anytime as it is a staple around our house anyway.
on January 11, 2009
Bought this as a Christmas gift for my niece. She was so excited when she opened it and saw what it was. Great idea!! I believe it was her favorite gift received. Thanks!!
on November 21, 2009
Toy is a real hit especially in the car at night and before bedtime. I've bought this product again for another birthday present.
on June 30, 2010
We bought this for our 8-year old daughter for a car trip out of state a month ago that would include some evening driving time. She was very excited to use it and the Dome lived up to her anticipation! I had read the other reviews after purchasing and will admit I was concerned.

Our experience:

All of our markers work perfectly (not dry at all) and seem to be staying same in a ziploc bag (also keeps them together more easily when not in use, although the board itself has ample snap-in storage room for all the markers + 4 extra you can buy).

The drawing surfaces are easy to interchange, snap in and out, and illuminate.

The complete board is lightweight enough to be comfortable for a long period on a lap in a car, and is easy to manipulate without dropping pieces.

The board has been very easy to clean. After reading other reviews, and knowing we would be in the car, I wet (and wrung out) an old lightweight washcloth and put in in a small ziploc bag. It was easy to wipe the board completely and without streaking. The washcloth (even when I used it) left no scratches on our screens. We used a paper (restaurant) napkin to gently dry the board and it left no scratches either. BONUS: the color did NOT transfer from the washcloth onto skin or clothing (I was SO pleased - thanks, Crayola!!). The washcloth rinsed clean almost as soon as it hit the water when we returned home and I washed it; yippee!

Our daughter REALLY LIKES this product. She has a great many (okay, read perhaps 'too many') arts and crafts supplies and 'devices'. She enjoys most of them very much. She was quite impressed (making me so, too) with this Crayola Board and was excited to reuse it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2011
How anyone can give this toy more than 1 star is beyond me. It is cheap, and you can tell. My son received it for a birthday gift from a friend, and for that purpose it was ok. The first disappointment was the stupid screw to get to the battery department of the pen. It stripped immediately. After a while I had enough and cut the plastic of the compartment to remove the lid. Now we have the toy ready to go and it holds their attention exactly......5 minutes. It's been in the toy box since.

It's a neat idea, a great gift for kids birthday parties where most people spend too much on gifts anyways, but that's another subject, and this specific one is handy for taking on car trips in the dark. But other than that, very poor quality. I don't expect it to last more than 1 month.

See 1 answered question