Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Crayoloa Dry Erase Light Up Board seemed like a big hit when I told my 8 year old son about it. As soon as the item came he was quick to open the package and was eager for me to help him set it up. Unfortunately that is when the excitement faded. As we put the board together it turned out to be very cheaply made with construction that does not look like it will hold up. Once assembled the final result is a flimsy looking product that was difficult to use. The pictures do look cool once lit up but honestly it was not enough to hold my son's attention for more than 15 minutes. Add to this the difficult clean up and my my son did not want to play with the light up board again. This could have been a great product but its poor execution made this below average.
33 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
VINE VOICEon October 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pretty cool toy, but it could be better. My first issue is that it's not very durable. It bends quite a bit as you draw on it, which leads you to believe it's about to break. For the record, my five year old has not broken it, but it feels fragile.

Secondly, it does not wipe clean very well with the included cloth. You really have to put some elbow into it to get it wiped off, which requires more effort than my daughter is typically capable of exerting.

With that said, though, it really is pretty cool to use it in the dark with its light feature. The crayons look good when used in the dark with the light on the board illuminating them, and it's an unusual experience for a child.

Is this a fun item? Yes, it is, but it's far from perfect, and the packaging leads you to believe its better than it actually is.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We're sorry to hear you were a bit disappointed with our Crayola Dry Erase Light-Up Board, Scott. We recently created a new and improved cloth, based upon the feedback we received from consumers, and would like to mail it to you! Please call 1-800-CRAYOLA and reference #001387177A. We look forward to hearing from you.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, you must know, my kids are artists. They like high end art supplies. They draw, color, sculpt, and create all the time. This is just added novelty to their already artful day.

Now, the batteries (3 AA, not included) are almost impossible to put in. It was a great circus act to see my husband try to get them all in their proper place and get the cover back on before they sprung in different directions. It took him an embarrassing amount of tries to get them in properly. They just want to pop straight back out.

The black/white board and the top clear plastic board slide in and out of the frame. Crayola Widescreen Light Designer does not do that, it has a fixed board, which is preferred. Yes, the slide out boards give you the option of white or black background, but the white is extremely difficult to see.

This board comes with dry erase crayons. If you've ever worked with those, you know they leave a waxy residue on the board. You'll need to clean that off after their daily use. Not between every drawing, but before they put it away for the day. I recommend washing it in dish soap- it cuts the waxy build up quickly and easily. These crayons are also ridiculously messy. They write on skin. They smear off onto skin. They are difficult to remove from the cloth of your tan sofa. (Doh!) Just be aware of that and plan play accordingly.

This board comes with a wipe off cloth. Unlike other reviewers, my children had no problem using the cloth. It was pretty easy for them. I do have to wash the plastic board when they're done so that they can happily play the next day. But they can clean between drawings effectively.

This one does not look as good as Crayola Widescreen Light Designer. The drawings do glow, but they aren't as sharp as the widescreen version. They clear plate over the black one with the open frame just doesn't hold the light quite the same. If you're torn between the two, buy the widescreen. It is much better overall.
VINE VOICEon September 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Honestly, I think this is a fun creative outlet for older kids who enjoy drawing and want to see their pictures light up. They are old enough to watch for pushing too hard on the surface.

I've got a 3 and 6 year old, and the surface snaps out OFTEN, causing more frustration than creativity.

Also, I've noticed that dry erase markers don't come off completely from plastic surfaces (we have a dry erase calender for school information in our entry and I love it, but had to replace the plastic poster frame I had with one that had glass instead because of the same reason). I tried washing it with water which made it worse, and I'm afraid to try rubbing alcohol or Windex in case it hurts the plastic, so we live with the light marks from previous creative sessions.

The light effects on the kids drawings are fun to see, but the excitement from it only lasts moments, then it gets put aside (the lights can flash, fade in or stay on).

For the frustration and how hard it is to clean, I give it low marks. For the creative idea and allowing kids to have fun, I score it higher, so in all, I settle on a 3 star.

Note - the board requires 4 AA batteries, and does NOT come with them. You will also need a small screw driver to open the battery slots.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The crayons are the best part about this toy - they are durable, bright colors. The concept of the Dry Erase Light-Up board in an innovative one, but the execution isn't so great. The product is made from flimsy plastic. My boys enjoyed drawing on it a couple of times and then watching it glow in the dark, but the novelty quickly faded when it took quite a bit of work to get the crayon off of the plastic in order to draw something new - it takes some significant scrubbing to clean it and start fresh (not something little kids can do by themselves, it requires an adult to do the cleaning and scrubbing). It's substantially overpriced! Overall, it still needs some work.
on January 7, 2015
I would not purchase again. Right out of the box, its too small. The drawing space is maybe 8x9. Its smaller than it looks. It was too complicated to put together, and has to be used on a table or hard surface. It doesn't stay together well, and the crayon is hard to wipe off, and this front panel will get scratched up. Its not durable, and not worth $16.
on February 1, 2015
Very cheap, doesn't lite up the way it should.. It broke within 2 weeks of getting.. I don't recommend this item to anyone to purchase for there child... Glow dome is a better version then this.. Hope this helps
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter loves her larger dry erase board, and I ended up getting her this for entertainment for when she's in the car. Unfortunately, I missed the writing on the bottom that mentioned 'crayons'... this is not a true 'dry erase' board which is used with markers... this is simply crayons on plastic.

First, out of the box, the size is very disappointing. The 'product dimensions' listed above is for the entire box, not the toy. The board itself is is only 11" x 9", with the actual drawing space measuring 9" x 7"... smaller then a standard piece of paper. The drawing area is also recessed 3/4", making it difficult to draw comfortably. The board includes a piece of clear plexiglass that serves as the main drawing surface, and a reversible board with a black side and a white side that can be drawn on as well. Both are removable, and even when inserted correctly, moves quite a bit, causing additional issues when drawing on.

Drawing on the colored reversible board, then inserting it into the frame behind the plexiglass and drawing on the plexiglass is suppose to give a dimensional effect, but it really doesn't... even the lighting, with its three modes of full-on, blinking, and fading on/off doesn't provide the lighted 'neon' effect that the toy implies.

The colors, when the light is on, look way too similar on the black background. The light tends to make everything look blueish and the drawings look no where near as vivid as shown on the box.

Lastly, erasing the board takes some scrubbing... my daughter can't do it very well herself, so my it must be done by me or my wife.

Overall, this toy fails on just about every level... nothing works as I expected it to. My daughter still enjoys using it from time to time, which is why I went with 2-stars rather then 1, but it's nothing like what I expected and is obscenely overpriced.
on March 10, 2014
Got this today and was disappointed at how it's put together. There is a clear plastic screen that inserts into a slot behind the black frame, and then there's the black/white "board" (made of cardboard) that somehow fits behind the clear screen. I read the (usual lousy Crayola) instructions numerous times but they fail to explain exactly how these 2 parts go into the slots. No matter how I inserted them, there was too much leeway and too much flopping around. I have no clue how Crayola allowed this to pass for production.
In order to write on the screen, you need to write at an angle as the screen doesn't stay flat within the frame. It's hard to explain but all I can say is that this is a big flop..
The company was closed today by the time I needed to call, but I'm just returning it at this point as it's so poorly designed…
I would suggest if you have a budding artist, to instead buy Crayola "switchables" markers. I think they were formerly called "changeables". I couldn't find them in any store today so I wonder if they've stopped making them, but they are truly amazing & my hubby & our 5 yr old grandson had a blast with them and blank paper..
on January 3, 2014
This board was sold for 47.99 and since it was Christmas that was the only one available to purchase. Elsewhere it was in the 20's but out of stock, so... The board is very cheaply constructed and does not erase well at all. The clear plate scratches with the first erasure. I would not recommend it at even the 20+ price. Disappointing product from a "big name" manufacturer