Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on February 6, 2010
My three-year old son really loves using these - he consistently chooses them over markers or crayons for his drawing lately. The size and shape make them easy for him to hold, and have the benefit of developing a "correct" hold for penmanship later on. There is a nice range of colors, some quite bold (he is particularly fond of the yellow for this reason) and others more pastel (like the lavendar) that don't show well on white paper, but are nice on dark construction paper. The crayons mark easily - he does not need to apply excessive pressure to get coverage that he is satisfied with. He also really likes opening and closing the drawstring bag they are stored in.
on February 7, 2011
As other reviewers have mentioned, these are small crayons. The sturdy little storage bag measures about 5 inches long, and the crayons are each about an inch long.

They are not toddler crayons, nor are they cutesy novelty crayons.

Any preschooler will know exactly what to do with these - the smooth, appealing little "rocks" are a perfect fit for a small hand, and make bold, beautiful strokes on paper. From my experience, traditional crayons will sit untouched as the crayon rocks are selected over and over again.

The crayon rocks are durable and don't break or crumble under normal conditions, There are no wrappers or flimsy boxes to mess with, and they last a surprisingly long time. Neat product, and I imagine many children will grow up with fond memories of crayon rocks!
on August 2, 2012
It's a crayon - or is it? I don't know which my 2-year-old loves more, opening the bag and pouring the "rocks" out, then lining them up and then counting them back into the bag, or coloring and writing with them. They're FUN. I love the organic non-toxic aspect and the aid they can give to new writers with proper grip. THEY (my 2 and 4-year old) love to simply play with them and choose them to color with over twistable crayola crayons and regular crayons almost every time. I've started putting a bag of these on gifts to special friends instead of bows. They adore them, too, sometimes more than the bigger present! *Yes, a few of the colors are very pale as some other reviewers have noted. My boys just choose another color, not a big deal. These lighter colors do work well on darker construction paper, though.
on February 26, 2016
I purchased these for my 1 year old. I was hoping they would be big chunky rocks that were easy for him to use so that he can color with his brother. These are sooooo small! I was shocked actually. I don't normally return items, but I think I am going to return these. I tried to hold one to use and I could barely grip it. My hands are child sized, seriously, my ring finger is a size 4.
review image
on February 9, 2015
These are the size of the final joint of your thumb. Though they were supposedly sized specifically for small children, they're no easier for my son to hold than a regular crayon. The wax feels softer than crayons should be. The color left on the paper is thin and looks for all the world like the cheap Cra-Z-Art crayons you'd buy at Walmart. Also, since they're all in that bag together with no paper to separate them, they had spots of other colors on them when they arrived. (Know how normal crayons look once they've all been broken and had the paper torn off and rubbed around together in the bottom of the bin for a while? Not *quite* that bad, but close.)
on February 2, 2016
These are nice, nontoxic crayons for helping small children learn proper pincer grasp and prepare for writing, and they don't break. My kids didn't love them and prefer the normal Crayola stick-types. Would make a good stocking suffer, valentine gift or Easter basket item for very small children. Nice for free drawing on paper, but hard to stay in the lines on coloring books for kids who care about that.
on July 20, 2015
Whoever came up with these was a genius! My kids saw these at a friend's house and didn't want to put them down. These crayons are so easy to hold, the hand just naturally wants to draw or color something. They are also fun to play with just on it's own, little colored pebbles. I really like these crayon rocks, so glad I bought them.
on January 5, 2011
My 2.5 year old son got these in his stocking this year along with a curious george coloring book. He really loves them. The little "sack" to carry them in is genius! He loves dumping them out, counting them and replacing them in their "hidey bag". They are easy enough to color with though the lines aren't very precise he doesn't mind though. They have quickly become a favorite and I'm planning to buy the stars next probably for easter.
on April 25, 2014
I keep them in my purse and bring them out anytime we're waiting- restaurants, airplane, etc. They are different enough from regular crayons that they're still interesting to my girls each time. And they don't roll off the table- HUGE pro!
I was a little disappointed that one of the crayons was broken in half when we received it- you can't really use it because of the shape. But not a big enough deal to send them back and have them replaced. Some of the colors aren't as bright as you'd think they'd be looking at them, but still colorful enough- and they have a different, slightly softer consistency than regular crayons, so you can blend the colors (once on paper) with your finger- particularly fun when drawing rainbows.
I would definitely buy again- they seem expensive, but they last long and they're cool.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2016
Nice gift set for kids especially for those that have trouble grasping the smaller crayons. Kids don't have a clue what's inside because it's not in the crayon box. Fun watching them guess what they are.