4.0 out of 5 stars Kirsten Dunst shines in an engaging character study
I hesitated to see this film because having seen my share of Kristen Dunst movies, I wasn't sure I was ready for another teen sugar attack. However, this film turned out to be a pleasant departure from the perky candy coated parts Dunst has played in the past. In fact, this might be a watershed role for her, marking her transition from teen roles to adult roles...
Published on January 6, 2002 by flickjunkie

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT JUST FOR TEENS...
This is a teen flick with a twist. Here, it is the girl who is the problem child, and her male, love interest is the grounding factor. Deftly directed and well acted, it will appeal to adults, as well as to teens.
Published on August 3, 2002 by Lawyeraau

4.0 out of 5 stars Kirsten Dunst shines in an engaging character study, January 6, 2002
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
Dunst plays Nicole Oakley, a troubled teenager from a privileged family who falls in love with Carlos (Jay Hernandez), a boy from the wrong side of the tracks. The story is nothing new, but the presentation is remarkably good, with far greater maturity than one would expect from a high school flick.
This film is exceptional considering its limited budget and the fact that most of the major players have very little experience at this level. For writers Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi, this is their first feature film screenplay. For director John Stockwell, it is only his second feature film. Likewise for Jay Hernandez and Taryn Manning. Many of the Latino actors were cast from a local high school, so they are in their first film. By comparison, Kirsten Dunst is a jaded veteran. The use of so many ordinary (not professional actors) high school students in the film gives it a very genuine look and feel.
Stockwell turns in an impressive directorial effort with a story that is much more complex than it seems at first blush. It starts out as your standard boy-meets-girl love story. They flirt, act silly, have sex, fall in love and create beautiful romantic images on the beach. Just when you think it is going to be a real yawner, things begin to get complicated. Stockwell slowly peels away the layers of the two main characters and their families to reveal subterranean shearing forces that will act to tear them apart.
Nicole, who at first seems to be just a wild, rebellious brat, turns out to be far deeper and more emotionally unsettled than one would ever imagine. Carlos' humble roots and burning ambition bring the relationship to a breaking point when he has to decide between Nicole and his shot at Annapolis. Stockwell takes what could have been a trite teen romance and turns it into an engaging character study. While his pace is perhaps a bit too deliberate and inclusive, his sensitive treatment of the motivation of the characters and his style of unraveling their psyches slowly before our eyes makes for great drama. This film is full of "ahah" moments, where you find yourself re-evaluating the characters as some new piece of information is revealed.
Kirsten Dunst has had an active career, appearing in over twenty films before the age of twenty (which age she will attain in April 2002). This is by far her best performance, helped by the fact that it is the most complex character she has ever played. There was a hint that her ability extended beyond the superficial teen characters she normally plays in the film "Virgin Suicides", where she played a sullen, bad girl with some serious problems. As Nicole in this film, she shows us that she has extraordinary range. She really cuts loose with the character, taking her to exhilarating and uninhibited highs as well as crashing, depression ridden lows. Though this is a minor film from a box office perspective, this performance should get the attention of casting directors and open the door for her to get bigger, more serious parts. Jay Hernandez shows promise, although he seems a little wooden in this film. His great strength (other than his obvious good looks) is his sincerity. He comes across as if he means every word he says.
I was going crazy trying to figure out where I had seen Bruce Davidson (who played Tom Oakley) before. He played Willard in the film of the same name (1971) about a sociopathic kid who befriended rats and used them to attack his enemies. Davidson gives a good performance here as Nicole's congressman father, particularly in the touching scene at the end.
Herman Osario, Miguel Castro and Tommy De La Cruz were all cast for their first film in open auditions from thousands of Latino high school students. They provide the film with some of its lighter moments as Carlos' friends, and they all give fantastic performances, basically being themselves. Taryn Manning rounds out the cast as Nicole's best friend and does a fine job of playing the wild thing.
I liked this film more for the drama than the romance. I rated it an 8/10. Kirsten Dunst takes a quantum leap with this performance. It is not for impatient viewers or those who despise slushy romances. However, for those who like a good character study with emotionally charged content and complex characters it is well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upside down cliches, March 24, 2002
Sheryl Katz (Chatsworth, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
I live with an LA High School teacher; we are both in our fifties yet we both enjoy teen oriented movies, at least to some degree. However, we are also highly sensitive to the distance from reality in most of these movies, and this one kept us awake and interested. Crazy/Beautiful may be another fairly tale reworking of the star-crossed lovers theme, but it also presents its characters with a gritty realism. These kids in this movie are a lot like real kids that we know and see everyday.
Kirsten Dunst is still portraying a teenager, but proves she can handle adult complexity. Jay Hernandez is wonderfully unaffected. The story is in many respects by the numbers, but it turns most of the movie cliches upside down - the rich kids father approves of the poor kid - it's his own daughter he has trouble with. The Latino kid is appealing to the white girls, but he isn't a white boy in a Latino skin, he is comfortable in his identity. I don't want to say too much more because I don't want to ruin the story for those who haven't seen it.
This is a fun film to watch with superb performances. As others have said, it has no villains just people who look like them from the vantage of the main characters. It's a feel good teen movie with something to interest the brain.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT JUST FOR TEENS..., August 3, 2002
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Nicole Oakley (Kirsten Dunst) is seemingly a lucky teenager, blessed with good looks and wealth, she lacks for nothing. Or does she? Carlos Nunez (Jay Hernandez), the son of a poor, Mexican single mother, is an intelligent teenager, also blessed with good looks. He is also his family's hope for the future.
Nicole carries a lot of baggage with her, due to some serious family issues she has yet to work out. She and Jay meet. He manages to see beneath her hard, wild, devil may care veneer. She realizes that Jay treats her as a person and not a boy toy. He manages to look below her hard exterior and sees her vulnerability, as well as her innate kindness, and is touched by it. They manage to fall in love but not without experiencing a few bumps on the road.
Having some serious self-esteem problems, however, Nicole is on a downward spiral towards complete self destruction, almost taking Jay with her. He basically pulls her out of the tailspin just before these star crossed lovers both crash land. For the viewer, it is, however, a ride well worth taking.
Kirsten Dunst gives a wonderful performance as the angst ridden Nicole. Jay Hernandez is excellent as the stalwart, hard working, teen from the barrio whose family is pinning all their hopes for the future on him. Burce Davison gives a very good performance as Nicole's tolerant, but bewildered, father who wants to make Nicole happy but does not know how to do so, until it is nearly too late.
Teens and adults alike will enjoy this well intentioned, coming of age drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie for all ages!, May 11, 2005
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
I saw this movie when I was in my mid-twenties, and only now after reading some of the reviews did it occur to me that it might really have been directed at teenagers! I suppose all the main characters are in high school, yes, but this isn't a teen-only movie. The storyline is excellent, all about love and doing what is "cool" vs. what is responsible in high school. I really enjoyed seeing Kirsten Dunst's character develop. Both Dunst and Hernandez are excellent actors in this movie.

I was so captivated by the magic of this storyline that I had no interest in watching any of the out-takes or behind the scenes stuff. I prefer to leave this movie as the wonderful love and growing up story it was, without focusing on how each scene was set up and directed.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best love stories EVER., July 26, 2002
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
The trailer made this movie look like a stupid MTV flick, but I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did. It remains one of the best movies I have seen in my whole life... I'm a sucker for the romantic comedy or the drama/romance and this movie has it all. Kirsten Dunst RULES in her role, and Jay Hernandez is an incredible actor for literally not even being an actor when he was cast to be in this.... this movie is fantastic... I can't say that enough... the soundtrack is awesome and diverse and colorful, just like the movie itself.... so many moods/feelings/emotions... gorgeous. Please give this movie a chance, I promise you won't regret it. Buy the DVD. I did, the first day it came out. Kudos to you John Stockwell, and the writers of the movie. Great job, thanks for honestly warming my heart. The Carlos-pilot flying scene..... if you see the movie you'll know what I'm talking about..... (sigh) Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars In love!, June 14, 2004
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
I love this movie! I admit when I first saw the commercial I thought it looked ridiculously stupid. However, I watched it one night because my friend told me it was actually a very good movie. That was 3 years ago and this movie still ranks as one of my favorite movies. (I am not one of those people that have 100 favorite movies either) I love everything about it. It seems like a realistic version of Romeo and Juliet yet not like it at all. It definitely presents the theme of star-crossed lovers but is not overdone or just plain cheesy. This movie is how most of my friends and I, who are teenagers, view teenage love and relationships, without the racial differences. I love the way Kirsten Dunst and Jay Hernandez work together throughout the movie. Kirsten Dunst definately nails the role she is in. I just love it and I think if you give it a chance you will love it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt Film with Superior Performances, December 6, 2001
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
Crazy Beautiful is a wonderful movie. I was very surprised to have liked it so much. Kirsten Dunst proves she is one of the best young actresses today by giving an honest portrayel of Nicole, and out of control teen. This is her best performance yet and I'm sure she will have many more to come. Newcomer Jay Hernandez is perfect as Carlos. His subtlety and sincerity make him very believable. The two have amazing chemistry and carry the entire film from start to finish. A wonderful, heartfelt film that surely did not get the recognition it deserved. This is not a teen flick. This is a tragic love story that all ages should enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing,Crazy,Beautiful A review by: Melendez, June 8, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
I really love this movie. Of course many would debate and say that this is just a typical teen movie, but it's not, it goes beyond that. This movie revolves around an interacial relationship between 2 very different humans. Usually this would be an easy target for a typical Hollywood plot, but somehow it just works. The actors Jay Hernandez(so hot!) and Kirsten Dunst really enhance and bring life to the movie. It shows how this girl Nicole is wealthy and can't be controlled by her father, while on the other end, Carlos is a guy opposite to Nicole and who is poor but manages to do good in school, etc. It demonstraits how Carlos tames Nicole and in a sense shapes her into someone different. It gives meaning to the saying, "opposites attract." I also really love how Carlos is Mexican and Nicole is white it explores relationships that are "mixed." Myself, a Mexican can say that it's okay to have interacial relationships, somehow Carlos's and Nicole's give more richness to the qulity of the movie because it seems to me that at first the thought of what Carlos's mother and brothers says affects his actions towards the relationship, because they don't want him to be with a white girl and Carlos's mom even pushes him to talk to the mexican girl from the party. But Carlos then denies what they say and doesn't care what they think anymore because he comes to believe that he loves her and that their love is pure and can conquer all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dunst and Hernandez soar in above average teen flick, April 19, 2002
Karl Schwabauer (Sunnyside, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
Crazy Beautiful did not draw in big bucks at the box office. It did not have a cute blond cheerleader, and perhaps its characters are a little too real for savvy Hollywood advertisers to market. Let's just say Crazy Beautiful deserved much more recognition. Now on DVD, Crazy Beautiful delivers a complicated emotional undercurrent that practically all teen films of late lack. Kirsten Dunst gives a multi-layered performance,void of any vanity,of an alcoholic teen who is conditioned not to be loved. When she meets Carlos, played by a charismatic Jay Hernandez, she begins to allow herself to fall in love with someone she might normally not think she deserves.
Director John Stockwell creates a very believable atmosphere, contrasting between Carlos' low income, but emotionally warm neighborhood, and Nicole's upper class icy palace. This is not your typical inter-racial class division romance, though the elements are certainly there. Instead both Carlos and Nicole are individual characters that you can believe exist. The ending is a bit tidy, but the fact that you care about the characters makes it satisfying to watch them grow.
Technically the DVD is top-notch. It includes an insightful commentary by Director John Stockwell and Kirsten Dunst. The films crisp, but edgy cinematography comes through excellently, as does the films soundtrack.
Crazy Beautiful is indeed a surprise and is likely to induce some viewers to tears. Note that Kirsten Dunst's performance predicts that she will likely be a future Oscar Winner in the next ten years.

5.0 out of 5 stars For once a teen movie that means something, January 24, 2002
This review is from: Crazy/ Beautiful (DVD)
Crazy/Beautiful is probably the best teen drama I have seen in a while.When I rented this I had expected another fluffy teen drama.Lets just say I was expecting another Here On Earth.But I rented it anyway because I am a huge Kirsten Dunst fan and I had heard only good things about this movie.When I sat down and watched it I was very surprised.The movie actually had real characters and not some characters thought up in ten minutes.The movies plot might no be a whole lot different from the plot of some of the other movies,but this one you can tell was thought in more than 15 minutes.Jay Hernandaz delivers an awesome breakthrough performance.I hope to see more of him in years to come.Kirsten Dunst hands in,probably,her best performance to date.Give this movie a try.Even if you don't like it,it's worth seeing the two actors do an amazing job

Crazy/ Beautiful
Crazy/ Beautiful by John Stockwell (DVD - 2001)
$6.25 $5.00