Crazy Cart 48-LED CCTV Ir Infrared Night Vision Illuminator
Price:$9.40 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this to replace the IR lighting from my Foscam F18910W now that it sits inside a dome and the IR lighting reflection from the dome washes out the view.

First, it works great. Provides excellent illumination out to about 50' and its field of illumination is pretty close to the above camera. Of course its not going to track the camera movement so if I needed more areas illuminated I would need to add additional units.

One concern of mine was the number of reports of units burning out LEDs fairly rapidly. I did a little testing and found it draws abut 250ma at 12.0V, which is just about the sweet spot regarding input voltage versus illumination. The unit does not contain any voltage or current limiting device on the power input to protect it. Higher input voltages only increase light output slightly beyond that found from 12.0V while current continues to climb as a function of I=E/R where R is the effective forward resistance of the LED array. This means that voltages above 12V will cause the array of LEDs and resistors to have to dissipate more heat, which will shorten their lives...perhaps dramatically depending on the overvoltage.

The reason I tested for and mention this is because typical 12V "wall wart" supplies are not regulated and this is a problem common with other LED lighting arrays, such as those strips intended for accent lighting intended for . An unregulated 12V supply may produce upwards of 16V when completely unloaded and only reach about 12.0V when loaded to their current rating. A sample of one of these supplies that I have on hand that is rated (according to the label) at 12V 500ma operates at 14V when loaded with 250ma. Higher rated units, say 12V 1A could be expected to to operate at similar or even higher voltage into 250ma. Another problem with unregulated supplies is that the DC output voltage varies proportionately with incoming AC voltage. So even a supply that is operating at 12V loaded may produce much higher voltages out with AC power surges. To prevent this from becoming a reliability problem for this iluminator - and I suspect many other low cost similar versions - I recommend only using a 12V power supply that is specifically labeled "Regulated". This means the output voltage from that unit will remain at 12V from 0ma to the supplies rated output current and be much more resistant to output voltage changes due to varying input AC voltage swings.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this not expecting much considering the price (about 8 bucks) and was pleasantly surprised. It easily illuminates the area of my yard I needed lit. My cameras (Foscam FI8918W) are sensitive to the wavelength of these too, which was a worry since it doesn't state in the description what wavelength the LEDs are. The build quality is solid and the addition of an automatic light sensor switch is a nice bonus. The only con I could list is the LEDs glow red when active so they're not exactly stealthy at night. Also, this unit doesn't include an AC adapter (12v 1 amp) but since I have several spare adapters this wasn't an issue at all. Overall, I'm happy with this purchase and would recommend it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
I replaced a couple of IR lights that looked like this one but had fewer LEDs. This one has 48 LEDs.
The difference was outstanding. The IR is 850nM and works well with my Foscam security cameras. 850Nm you can see a faint red glow when close but won't notice it at distance. ALWAYS match you IR light (wavelength) to your camera for it to provide proper operation. These do NOT come with a rain/sunshade hood as the other model but everything else (including power supply (sold separately) is the same).

"Roughly' at 20 feet it illuminates a 10 foot circle and I use two for my purpose. I attached them both to the same 12V 2.1mm power supplyAC Power Adapter 120V, 240V / 12V-1A / 5.5mm-2.1mm using a 'Y' splitter (everything available here at Amazon).

Very light weight and I position them with hook and loop fasteners on window glass. I placed them on the 'outside' of the window. If they are placed on the inside much of the IR will reflect back and illuminate the room causing ghosting and reflections, even worse if there is also a screen. I've made multiple orders of these and it's nice to just keep a couple handy. It's a super great price. I use black electrical tape to water proof the power lead where it plugs into my 2.1mm extension.

These units automatically turn off in daylight using a photo sensor.
I spray the case and cords with Silicone spray when I mount them outside and I have two that I've operated for two years fully exposed to snow and rain and are still working.

Don't use this 850nM light if you are replacing an IR light that you can NOT see at night. Those lights operate at a higher frequency (shorter wavelength).

My Items: (April 2013)
This item: Crazy Cart 48-LED CCTV Ir Infrared Night Vision Illuminator $13.35
DC Power Adapter (supply) 12 V DC 2.1MM 1 Amp $6.59
Female 2.1mm Jack to 2 Male 2.1mm Plugs CCTV Power $5.38
6' Male 2.1mm Plug to Female 2.1mm Jack CCTV [Extension you may not need or may need more] Power Cable $6.49
on October 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
Previously: I got 4 of these for an interactive table project I'm working on. They work quite well for what I need them for. I had to cover the light sensor so they'd light up all the time, but being aware of that I can make them light up by switching them on. At first I thought they might've been DOA, but nope, just cover the light sensor and they work. I'm happy with the purchase. I did have one arrive with LEDs out, but the seller was quick to respond and replace.

Update: After having them in use for a while now the IR leds are going out. I may see if I can fix them somehow but you will want to keep it in mind when buying these. they don't last.

Update 12/18/12: I bought these several months ago but they have only been in use for maybe a max of 12 hours, and they are all starting to die. These things suck, don't waste your money.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2015
This one is bright enough for most situations. No need to get an expensive one unless you need a ton of coverage. I had a 1000TVL CCTV cam that got a little water in it. The IR's stopped working so I picked this 48-LED CCTV IR to make up for it. The night vision is better than ever as I'm able to shine the IR where I want. Check out the pictures! I had an extra CCTV power supply that I'm using to power it. This doesn't come with a power source so make sure to order one if you don't have an extra.

The red IR glow is the same you see from most CCTV built in IR lights.

The pictures show with no IR, with IR on the ground and with IR mounted up high.
review image review image review image
on October 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
Works AMAZING with my Sony Handycam with Night Shot Plus as an external Infrared Light. They sell the rechargeable ones with 36 LED's but this one has 48 LED's and a quarter of the price. It's decent quality and the shipper makes sure of that, tried to order another one recently and they had to cancel because the shipment of the ones they currently had were a bad batch and they were completely honest with me and cancelled my order, returned my money and even offered me a future discount on their products. This works with a 12 volt DC power supply, but I needed it to be mobile. So after a quick search on here I found a few 12 V Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery packs with either 3800mAH or 6800mH for an AMAZING price. Overall this and one of the battery packs cost about half the price of those rechargeable all in one units that last about an hour or so TOPS. With the 6800mAH battery (which is smaller and lighter than you think) should keep this 500mA light on for a decent amount of hours, will test soon to verify. OVERALL: If you are looking for a IR light for night vision cameras, CCTV security cameras or whatever, this is BY FAR a way better deal than those other lights. The battery (not included with this, but can be found on Amazon) fits right in my pocket and with a screw this can be mounted easily to the bottom of the camera. AMAZING PRODUCT AND GREAT PRICE, makes a world of difference with the Night Shot Plus and I can't wait to buy another one.
on September 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have nine of these units installed and just ordered six more. I can summarize very quickly. The units will either arrive dim, or with a many LEDs not lighting up, or, after a few months of use, the LEDs will start to burn out. They are temporary use at best. Do not buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2013
Verified Purchase
The customer service department of Crazy Cart made contact with me regarding my unfavorable original review of their 48-LED illuminator. They sent me another one at no charge and I did perform the same type of test that I did before: looking at a dark object using the Loftek Sentinel D-1 camera that I had purchased at the same time. Not much more could be observed. However, I was suspicious of the result. With regular daylight, the picture produced by the Loftek is reasonably good.

The human eye is much less sensitive to IR light and regular daylight, and therefore you cannot depend on the observed light output of an IR illuminator using your eyes. Both illuminators appear to be only slightly on when it becomes dark.

I tested the both Crazy Cart illuminators with two other security cameras, namely an ArecontVision AV1355DN (this is a fixed dome camera) and the Panasonic WV-SW395 camera (this is a PTZ dome camera like the Loftek Sentinel). Both cameras had no problem seeing the area lighted by any of the Crazy Cart 48-LED illuminator and did not see anything as soon as the illuminator was turned off.

The conclusion:
1) At least my Loftek appears to be totally insensitive to IR light and is therefore unsuitable for night vision. The suggestion that the Crazy Cart illuminator can be used with the Loftek as "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" per the Amazon.com WEB site is (at least for my Loftek) is totally incorrect. My suggestion to Amazon is that if this is not verified, the suggestion should be removed because it is clearly misleading.
2) Based on my test results with different cameras: the Crazy Card illuminators do work as expected and likely work in conjunction with other cameras that have sufficient sensitivity to IR light.
3) I respect the Customer Service of Crazy Card that went way out of their way to make the customer (me) satisfied. Since they were accommodating, I went out of my way to perform these tests with additional cameras.
4) However, Crazy Card should include documentation with their product. It may avoid a lot of misunderstandings, like: the LED's do not seem to light up much in the dark. The reason for this that the human eye is not very sensitive to IR light. The box that the product comes it should be properly labeled as "IR illuminator" and not "Video Camera". This brings the rating down to 4 stars.
on June 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this lamp because I wanted to place a Foscam FI8908W in a Loftek dome and, therefore, could not use the camera's own internal IR LEDs for night illumination. I found the IR lamp provided NO illumination that the camera could see. I also use FI8905W cameras and found that it did not work for them as well. Internet research indicates that many IR lamps (and apparently this one) do not output IR at a frequency that some cameras can detect.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
the title says it all: I bought it, used it and it broke in no time. And just to get to the needed twenty words for the review: it worked nicely until then.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations